What's new

Open Comb March 2012

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
New Deluxe, a Traveler whose Serial Number indicates it was manufactured in 1929 .. leaving on a jet plane Monday, probably won't want to risk this kit with TSA, second last shave of March ..

Attachments

• $IMG_5869.JPG
    $IMG_5869.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 91
New Deluxe, a Traveler whose Serial Number indicates it was manufactured in 1929 .. leaving on a jet plane Monday, probably won't want to risk this kit with TSA, second last shave of March ..

That is gorgeous, and no way would I trust TSA.

For my last shave of OC March I put together two of my favorite and relatively new razors. The Sabi T2 is one of the Taiwanese models of that brand. The quality of workmanship is the equal of any current razor maker save EJ and Mühle. The handle of the T2, while arguably a knockoff, is a solid and short heavyweight with deep crosscuts and a flat bottom knob that fits perfectly in my hand and never slips. The Mühle R101 is my favorite sleepy Saturday morning razor. It gives a consistently good shave without requiring concentration and has never, ever bitten me. A combination of the two seemed to be the perfect way to finish the month.

The Sabi T2
proxy.php

+ The Mühle R101
proxy.php

= The Sable
proxy.php

The quality of the German Mühle head combined with the Taiwanese Sabi handle make this an impressive razor indeed. The resulting shave was as excellent as predicted. While I didn't try for BBS, I came very close with almost no effort on my part with a two pass shave. My technique was very similar to the one I use with my newly acquired Merkur 11C, letting the weight of the handle apply the pressure and do the work.

Until this week, I was not a big fan of frankenrazors. I respect the work behind the original engineering too much to believe that I could create something better by simply swapping handles. None of my fun creations were actually better than the original razor. What they did for me was help me examine the unique qualities of an open comb shave by increasing the variety of styles available to me. What I learned was that I obviously need more razors.

Last shave of March for me: Long-comb NEW, Voskhod blade, and Bigelow cream.

I think I've decided to keep this NEW, and send it off to onotoman for a bright nickel re-plate.

Finished off the month with four of my newest acquisitions:
Gillette gold Tuckaway new improved
7 O'clock Black ninja
Trumpers coconut oil cream
Omega boar brush

Followed up with some Proraso liquid cream AS.

Great way to start the weekend!

First...thanks to DunEdinRanger for starting this thread and bringing alot of people to the great shaves of open combs!!

I just received my four piece 1929 traveler today....a fitting way to end OC March!! ( well for me...OC is almost every day!)

It gave a wonderful shave loaded with a SI blade....

proxy.php

I finished march with a razor I received yesterday: a bar handle NEW Deluxe in excellent condition. Paired with a personna med prep it gave me a smooth and close shave!

Having spent the week out of town with the MMOC (great shaves), I was pleased to get back to the den for the last OC March shave this morning. It was delightful:

1928 Gold New Standard + '76 Gillette Super Silver (5 and out, though it's not really finished; what a sharp and smooth vintage shivvy this is!)
Vulfix 660 Super Badger Brush
RazoRock "Mughetto di Bologna" Artisan Shaving Soap
Pinaud Clubman AS & Greaseless Hair Tonic

It's been a treat of an event, thanks Lou! Now I'm ready for some lovin' from my neglected solid-guard collection....

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Adding my thanks to Lou as Chairman on another long March .. I finished it off with a Streamline ..

$IMG_5880.JPG

I did not shave until this afternoon, being pressed into duty as a Lector at the Palm Sunday Vigil Mass. I used the Muhle R41 with a Super Iridium Blade, Sir Irisch Moos Shave Stick and the Rudy Vey Butterscotch B&B LE Brush.

After one pass, there were only a few trouble spots, around the lips and neck. A touch up pass, and then a wee pass over some very stubborn and I was done.

Incredibly close, and this razor's ability to get at stubble you can't see but can feel is comparable only to the OCMM, the Sledgehammer Slant, and a wide open Futur.

How much blood you ask? Just a few weepers when going against the grain in the touch up pass.

Gentlemen, this has been a lot of fun this month as we shared our experiences with the Open Combs. I hope we can do this again next year! Thank you all for joining in, and especially for all the magnificent photos!

Oh, and please remember, GEMini is coming up; the month of shaving with GEM razors and/or blades.

But you were the first to get to shave in OC March. It is only proper that you be the first to end it! But I think I'll use my OC tomorrow also.

Last shave for OCM was a thin handled tech matched up to a UK long comb NEW(basically the 3 piece equiv of the #77). It and the Iridium made for a mighty smooth shave.
Tomorrow, the iKon Modern I've been dying to try for the last couple weeks!

Ok, so, I haven't been too faithful to OC March as my newbie technique almost always leaves me with a nice "bite" from the OC razors. A great shave, to be sure, but with a bite!

Well, to make a long story short, I finished off OC March with a tribute to my Grandmother. I was meeting her for lunch on Saturday, so I shaved with her birth year 1921 single ring. Great shave, but it took a nasty bite out of my Adam's apple!

Anyhow, she wanted to to go to Olive Garden for lunch and we had quite a nice time. :flowers:

This is the line up of the participants in my OC March. Thanks, Lou, for the fun thread. I still have one more frankenrazor creation lined up to shave with tomorrow.

proxy.php

Front Row, L to R: 1936 Gillette Norfolk "New", 1938 Gillette Sheraton, 1938 Gillette Senator, 1921 Gillette New Improved, 1927-28 Gillette Ball End Old Type Silver, 1927-28 Gillette Ball End Old Type Gold, 1918 Gillette (American Button Company) Pocket Edition.

Back row, L to R: Argentine Monte Carlo, Mühle R41 (2011 Head), Mühle R101 (2010 Head), Merkur 11C.

I'm very jealous! Great collection, great-looking razor holder. I assume you made it. Thanks for sharing it!

Top Bottom