What's new

Open Comb March 2012

This Aristocrat has been a joy to use and were it not for OC March I'd not likely have gotten to know it so well. However, I'm starting to miss My Slim...

Attachments

• $IMG_3472.jpg
    $IMG_3472.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 99
This morning I used the Muhle R41 Open Comb, and I would have to call the shave a resounding success. Extremely smooth, close, comfortable with only one tiny weeper. This was definitely a BBS shave.

I used the Super Iridium blade, with the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey Brush and Sir Irisch Moos shave stick.

I plan to end this month with my New Improved, with Gillette Brazil Super Thins. This razor burnt me up last time, but I will master it! I tihnk I tried a bad blade with it.

The razor I created for today's shave is an example of an unnecessary modification for the sole purpose of entertainment. My Mühle R101 is a perfect workhorse razor. I use it whenever I need a good, consistent shave with little thought and no irritation. It already has a resin slip-proof handle that reduces my need to concentrate. My Parker 65R is a fine example of improved Indian quality combined with aesthetically pleasing craft-work in the stone ash handle. Why mess with what works already? Because it is the end of OC March and I feel the need to finish with something different.

The Mühle R101
proxy.php

+ The Parker 65R

proxy.php

= The Parlé
proxy.php

The resulting shave was consistent, smooth, and irritation free. Oh... and it was fun too.

My NEW Bar-handle Long Comb arrived in the mail today. It's going to need a little cleaning, but I'll try to shave with it tomorrow. As it's my first shave with an open comb, any suggestions on a blade? I'm thinking milder like a Shark Super Chrome.

My NEW Bar-handle Long Comb arrived in the mail today. It's going to need a little cleaning, but I'll try to shave with it tomorrow. As it's my first shave with an open comb, any suggestions on a blade? I'm thinking milder like a Shark Super Chrome.

good idea going with a milder blade, just until you get the feel of the NEW down.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Gillette New Improved Type "The Richwood" from 1922.

Attachments

• $IMG_5854.jpg
    $IMG_5854.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 83
Another shave with the Muhle R41. It was almost BBS after one pass. It was a two pass extremely smooth, incredibly close, possibly ultra BBS shave.

I can't believe Open Comb March is ending!

Got my Merkur 1904 OC in the mail yesterday. First shave today with an Astra SP blade. Very mild, comfortable yet close shave. The ideal combination for me. This razor will be in my regular rotation.

Silver New Improved Tuckaway | Iridium Super

Tried to straighten a corner tooth before the shave. You know what happened next.

This morning I endeavored to give my Norfolk New greater stature by loaning it the handle from my Weber 3 Piece Stainless.

The Weber 3-Piece Stainless
proxy.php

+The 1936 Gillette Norfolk "New"
proxy.php

= The Newber

proxy.php

This is a wonderful razor. It is a bit on the heavy side but has wonderful balance. The shave was as close as I wanted it to be. When I obtained the Weber, they were selling the handle separately. I think I will try to get one as a permanent gift to my Norfolk.

This is the line up of the participants in my OC March. Thanks, Lou, for the fun thread. I still have one more frankenrazor creation lined up to shave with tomorrow.

proxy.php

Front Row, L to R: 1936 Gillette Norfolk "New", 1938 Gillette Sheraton, 1938 Gillette Senator, 1921 Gillette New Improved, 1927-28 Gillette Ball End Old Type Silver, 1927-28 Gillette Ball End Old Type Gold, 1918 Gillette (American Button Company) Pocket Edition.

Back row, L to R: Argentine Monte Carlo, Mühle R41 (2011 Head), Mühle R101 (2010 Head), Merkur 11C.

Used the Ikon OSS this morning with a Dorco ST-300 (3) blade.

Well for me in Australia this is March 31 and the end of OC March, but I am sure that I will be using more than one OC razor in April.

What a great month this has been.

Top Bottom