What's new

Open Comb March 2012

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Had to pull the scuttle back out, after last week searching for Osage Rub .. today I used a Chubby 1 to face lather GFT; received a great shave from the Senator (but I guess fleecing the public is in their job description eh?). Finished with some vintage Clubman "Special Reserve" juice.

$IMG_5839.jpg

I'm going to finish out March with some Frankenrazors created to draw out some of the best characteristics of my OC's. For this morning's shave I used the comb plate from my 2010 Mühle R101 to provide a prosthetic replacement for the sadly missing one on my 1918 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. The results were somewhat surprising. Although there doesn't appear to be a very large blade gap, it is actually greater than that achieved with a regular Old Type comb plate. The shave was predictably mild but sufficiently close, probably the best that I have achieved with an old type. I do love this handle and the smoothness of the silver plate cap. This is one way to get to enjoy this old friend.
proxy.php

GEM Micromatic, GEM Stainless Coated Blade (1), Burma Shave Boar Brush, Arko Commando SC, Nivea Energy AS Splash

I brought 3 blades with me for the week, so I ditched the last one after 2 innings and put in a fresh one. I also found a bottle of the new Nivea splash at a local Walmart, though it hasn't yet made the shelves of the one back home. It's a nice, bright, sporty scent very similar to Adidas Dynamic Pulse, and it feels like an even better performer.

Been lazy about updating, can't believe the month is over already! I've been stuck on my OCMM the last few days. I am curious about the 1912 though. IMHO, it is an OC. But what do the other BOTOC alumni think?

1930's Gillette Short Comb new with a Astra SS (2).....not that happy with the Astra SS in the New....two days and four weepers! XTG pass was ROUGH today...

Been lazy about updating, can't believe the month is over already! I've been stuck on my OCMM the last few days. I am curious about the 1912 though. IMHO, it is an OC. But what do the other BOTOC alumni think?

I would say that it is an open comb. I cannot wait to try out the 1912 on tour, as I keep eyeballing a rhodium single edge, but want to try a shave before pulling the trigger.

The proud members of Open Comb March!

From left to right, the Muhle R41, a Gillette Long Comb, A GEM Open Comb Micromatic, The Bakelite Slant Bar Open Comb, The Long Comb Frankenrazor, and the Unknown Open Comb.

I used that light unknown razor at the right today with a Derby Blade, and did I get a great shave. It was a two pass BBS with light touch up, and I am still smooth.

My only Gillette "New" is a 1936 Norfolk with a Tuckaway style short bar handle. I am not a long handle fanatic but the Tuckaway handle seems a bit short even for me. For today I created a new razor out of my Norfolk and a Sabi three piece from Pakistan that features a solid metal long handle with a resin inlay.

The Norfolk
proxy.php

+ The Sabi
proxy.php

= The "Norbi"
proxy.php

The Norfolk has a relatively heavy head with a short and ,therefore, relatively light handle. The Sabi has a relatively light head with a long and heavy handle. The resulting "Norbi" frankenrazor is a heavy creation indeed. The shave was excellent with the fringe benefit of multiple reps to the various muscles of my right shaving arm.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As the end of the March draws near, had a great shave from this combo ...

Attachments

• $IMG_5845.JPG
    $IMG_5845.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 55
Long comb New, probably my favorite razor. Have a Merkur 1904 open comb on the way from West Coast Shaving. Can't wait to try it.

My only Gillette "New" is a 1936 Norfolk with a Tuckaway style short bar handle. I am not a long handle fanatic but the Tuckaway handle seems a bit short even for me.

I agree. I also have a Norfolk SC with a short bar handle (sans the case). The handle is uncomfortably short. I too have a Sabi Pakistani all chrome razor; I'll have to try the handle with the SC head.

I used that Unknown OC again today, and got a very good DFS+ 2 pass shave. Just missed one spot on the neck or it would have been BBS. And I was rushed this morning.

I am going to close out this Open Comb March with the same razor that started it - the Muhle R41.

I can't believe this is drawing to a close. Thanks to everyone for taking part and especially for the great photos.

Top Bottom