What's new

[Open Comb] Looking for a new razor

So it's been about a year since i'v been shaving with my Merkur and i'd like to give a new razor a try. Yes i'v been visiting these boards for about a year and i still only have one razor. :blink:

I did some searching and i'm thinking the Muhle R41 or maybe one of the Merkur razors, maybe the 11C? I read something about the R41 being the same as one of the Merkurs is that true?

Reason being i don't shave as often as some here (about 3 times per week) and want to give the open comb a try.

I have the R41 and it is a good razor. IIRC, it's been discontinued, so you might want to grab one while they're still available.

Another OC on the market is the Goodfella. I've had one for a bit and it gives me consistently good shaves.

But my favorite OC is the 1912 Single Ring. Excellent shaver!

I felt that even though the heads on the 11C and R41 are the same, they handle diffrently. I thought the R41 was a much lighter razor. If you are used to a 34C then the 11C is a reasonable try.

Sending you a PM about the 11C.

The Mühle R41 has indeed the same head as the Merkur 3-piece OC razors like the 25C and 25C. For fit and finish the Mühle is unbeatable; way better than the Merkurs.

The main difference between all the Merkur razors (and the Mühle) is about balance and length and diameter of the handle as well as total weight. Some prefer their razors to be a little head-heavy with a not too short handle like me and the Mühle would be the best choice if that is the case with you. The Merkur barberpole would be the heaviest one you could get. The Mühle configuration gives me more control over the shave but YMMV; it would be my first choice no doubt.

I have the R41 and it is a good razor. IIRC, it's been discontinued, so you might want to grab one while they're still available.

It was just out of stock for several months at Mühle's webshop but it is available again and they have no plans stopping production soon.

Any thought given to an old Gillette tech oc? I recently purchased one and it's an early 30's model. I don't think it's one of the "NEW" line as it dosn't have a very big blade gap. Shaved with it last night and it was pretty nice, though the Aqua Velva burnt like something else afterwards!

I don't think it was as smooth as say, the 38C or for that matter a super speed but I think alot of that may have been me trying to feel out the diffrences between an OC and a bar.

The R41 is a great open comb. But you can't go wrong with a vintage Gillette New Long Comb. I use one as my daily shaver and they are superb razors.

Wow, looks like I'm going with the Merkur 11C. Within minutes of posting this Sueto offered to sell me one. Can't wait to try it out and compare it to my 34C.

I would suggest the Gillette Old Type or Gillette NEW over any current production models.

I use an Old Type with a Bull Mastiff handle and it gets no better.
U would come out cheaper with a higher quality tool.
Wp

Thats okay that you only have 1,We all only had 1 at one time,,I now have 5,after just 1.5 months..Perfectly happy with my 65 slim adjustable(originally my dads),just trying different ones.I also only shave about every other day,but man,thats a good shave!!

I would suggest the Gillette NEW over any current production models. Wp

I would have to agree with SandMountain whole heartedly here. The News are very available, very affordable, and THE introduction to open combs. They are wonderful. From there you go to the New Improveds, which I strongly believe, may be the best of all - vintage or current.

I'll definitely give the NEW a try once i get my Merkur in and use it for a while, in the mean time i'll be on the look out for on in the BST forum.

I, also, just became interested in an open comb. Being a fan of the Barberpoles (I already have a 38C and a 39C), I ordered a 12C from WCS yesterday. When I checked out, I noticed an open comb travel razer had gotten into the cart with it somehow. :laugh:

Ken

When I checked out, I noticed an open comb travel razer had gotten into the cart with it somehow. :laugh:

Ken

Yeah, isn't that the craziest thing? It was happening to me too. I check out and there was the Merkur 11C. I thought it was fluke until I was at a different vendor and the R41 just jumped on in there!

Yeah, wife didn't believe me either...:lol:

I found this one:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Do you think it's good? If yes how should I clean it?

Pilky,

I have the Muhle R41 and it is a very nice razor; However, I prefer the vintage Gillette open-combs - my English Model 88 is a superb shaver, and my favourite DE :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Pilky,

I have the Muhle R41 and it is a very nice razor; However, I prefer the vintage Gillette open-combs - my English Model 88 is a superb shaver, and my favourite DE :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Thanks. It seems I should dry it after each shave to prevent further plate loss.

Top Bottom