What's new

Oneblade Razor

The rails don't hold the blade at all, the locking nubs do. So any wearing of the rails will not affect how the razor holds the blade.

I have an early V1, and when I first bought it, the rails were rather tight on blade insertion/extraction. After some use, these rails "broke in", and changing the blade was easier, but still locked in the blade just as securely as it always has. The danger with using a GEM in V1 that is not clipped at it's sides is that it does not lock in, pushes against, and can possibly wear away the locking nubs. To prevent against that possibility, clip your GEM's. If you don't clip the GEM's in V1, you take that risk upon yourself in not using the razor as it was designed.

With V2, the blade doesn't slide against the rails at all. The locks hold the blade more loosely, yet still securely. There shouldn't be any wear from friction here, because there really isn't any, and even if there were, the V2 OneBlade head is made from PANACEA stainless steel, more than twice as hard and durable than any other stainless steel, including the steel used in blades.

In any case, OneBlade's "forever" warranty will cover any manufacturing defect, or natural wear and tear issues. I don't think you'd need this warranty anyway, but I'm not sure they'd cover damaged locking nubs from using an un-clipped GEM in V1.
Definitely the lifetime warranty will come into effect. Only time will tell. Hopefully no real serious issues will arise once the razor is in my hands. Plus, I've never been afraid of a little experimentation. Good, clean shaves is what I'm looking forward to, with a Feather or the optional Gem blade. Let's see how it goes.....

The rails don't hold the blade at all, the locking nubs do. So any wearing of the rails will not affect how the razor holds the blade.

I have an early V1, and when I first bought it, the rails were rather tight on blade insertion/extraction. After some use, these rails "broke in", and changing the blade was easier, but still locked in the blade just as securely as it always has. The danger with using a GEM in V1 that is not clipped at it's sides is that it does not lock in, pushes against, and can possibly wear away the locking nubs. To prevent against that possibility, clip your GEM's. If you don't clip the GEM's in V1, you take that risk upon yourself in not using the razor as it was designed.

With V2, the blade doesn't slide against the rails at all. The locks hold the blade more loosely, yet still securely. There shouldn't be any wear from friction here, because there really isn't any, and even if there were, the V2 OneBlade head is made from PANACEA stainless steel, more than twice as hard and durable than any other stainless steel, including the steel used in blades.

In any case, OneBlade's "forever" warranty will cover any manufacturing defect, or natural wear and tear issues. I don't think you'd need this warranty anyway, but I'm not sure they'd cover damaged locking nubs from using an un-clipped GEM in V1.
The nubs do hold the blade in place, but the rails of the bottom half of the head and the top half have a distance between them which is the thickness of the blade. If this distance is increased, the blade will not fall out, but have an upward and downward movement depending on the direction of the razor on the skin. This cannot be good.

I will say it's probably the hardest razor to cut or nick yourself with. You would almost have to try to do so.

I'd disagree - mine seems to like to bite me in the same spot on my neck every time - cant figure out why.....still like the razor - just sort of expect the bite (have lots of razors that's are closer to what I'd call nick free)

I'd disagree - mine seems to like to bite me in the same spot on my neck every time - cant figure out why.....still like the razor - just sort of expect the bite (have lots of razors that's are closer to what I'd call nick free)
Tried mine last night first go round. And I must say it was a pleasant surprise. Mind you it was just a first shave, but impressive nonetheless. Nick and irritation free shave, and the quickest shave I've ever given myself. I'm impressed is an understatement. It's that good.

Reviving an older thread but I just had to. This was yesterday mornings shave and it was excellent.....

Pulled out the OB as I hadn’t used it in months. A single ATG pass and slight buffing, facial smoothness restored. I almost forgot how easy and nonchalant a shave the OB can give. The razor is practically on autopilot as soon as you start the shave. Just an excellent razor....

630C24A8-972C-47CE-905B-B79AA66C9B68.jpeg

Reviving an older thread but I just had to. This was yesterday mornings shave and it was excellent.....

Pulled out the OB as I hadn’t used it in months. A single ATG pass and slight buffing, facial smoothness restored. I almost forgot how easy and nonchalant a shave the OB can give. The razor is practically on autopilot as soon as you start the shave. Just an excellent razor....

View attachment 886839
Gus I'm glad you posted this. I have been den cleaning and I was thinking I haven't used my OB Genesis V2 in a while and I was thinking of putting it up for sale...So I decided after reading your post I need to spend some time with it before making a decision I may regret down the road. I've been shaving with Aristocrats for a month straight and I need to get back to some of my other razors and the OB is definitely one of them and in fact I was going to shave in a little while and I missed my Cobra Classic and I was going to use that and now I'm gonna use the OB instead.. You may have saved my OB so thanks as usual my friend. :a14:
Frank

Gus I'm glad you posted this. I have been den cleaning and I was thinking I haven't used my OB Genesis V2 in a while and I was thinking of putting it up for sale...So I decided after reading your post I need to spend some time with it before making a decision I may regret down the road. I've been shaving with Aristocrats for a month straight and I need to get back to some of my other razors and the OB is definitely one of them and in fact I was going to shave in a little while and I missed my Cobra Classic and I was going to use that and now I'm gonna use the OB instead.. You may have saved my OB so thanks as usual my friend. :a14:
Frank
Always happy to oblige my friend..... :ihih: :letterk1:

Wish I had kept my V1. Now have a V2. I will have to try it again soon. Great razor but the tilting head... I don't know if I like it or not.

Took the V2 out for a spin last night and got surprisingly good results. I remember it being a lesser shaver a year ago. But that may be down to technique and/or prep. Also shaving in the shower vs. out. I used a feather blade. I am not the best shaver in the world, though, and my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Took the V2 out for a spin last night and got surprisingly good results. I remember it being a lesser shaver a year ago. But that may be down to technique and/or prep. Also shaving in the shower vs. out. I used a feather blade. I am not the best shaver in the world, though, and my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
Grain of salt? The OneBlade is the Italian supercar of razors. It's designed to surprise you. Your opinion is all good.

THIS JUST IN

OneBlade Genesis $299 (with subscription)
. The OneBlade page froze while I was shopping, and when I reloaded, there were two options - the older $399, or $299 with one of their subscription plans. I opted for $299 plus $23 for 3x10 blades every six months, cancel anytime. They throw in a free YETI cup with the deal. I have read this entire thread and seen discussions about subscriptions, but this is the first time I personally have seen the $299 option since I started shopping about a week ago.

THIS JUST IN TOO

As I write this, Maggard has 1536 boxes of FHS-10 blades in stock @ $7.00 for a box of 10 blades. (I picked up a few myself, but I thought I should leave some for you. :001_smile)

A Personal Note

Lastly, while of no great import, I'd like to share a bit of personal background in hopes of not reviving some of the more controversial areas of discussion. In early April, I all of a sudden could not even walk my dogs up the block without getting sick. Fast forward to today, and I am scheduled for a second heart procedure this week. I don't want or need sympathy; my prospects are actually excellent.

But they are excellent only if I take care of myself, which includes taking anti-clotting medicine - medicine which therefore makes nicks and weepers want to keep bleeding. I was so pleased to have gotten my technique to the point of getting mostly BBS shaves with generally nothing but cold water needed to stop bleeding. Now that has changed, and even with alum and witch hazel, what seems like a slight nick takes forever to stop up and leaves an embarrassing scab anyway.

Even though this is an opportunity to further hone my technique, I still would like whatever help I can get in the hardware department. And while I am not rich, I somehow still manage to dump buckets of money into this hobby. So while there are single blade carts these days - I have some in the pipeline - I really would like something ultra skin-friendly, with panache, and more in keeping with the rest of my kit than a cart. Under the circumstances, I don't give a rat's rear end about the price of blades or who does what business practices. I just want to escape back into my luxurious hobby without bleeding like a stuck pig, and the way I see it, the Genesis seems like the best bet on the table.

Perhaps more to the point, I seriously doubt I'm the first guy that's been in this situation, and that is something worth keeping in mind.

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN

OneBlade Genesis $299 (with subscription)
. The OneBlade page froze while I was shopping, and when I reloaded, there were two options - the older $399, or $299 with one of their subscription plans. I opted for $299 plus $23 for 3x10 blades every six months, cancel anytime. They throw in a free YETI cup with the deal. I have read this entire thread and seen discussions about subscriptions, but this is the first time I personally have seen the $299 option since I started shopping about a week ago.

THIS JUST IN TOO

As I write this, Maggard has 1536 boxes of FHS-10 blades in stock @ $7.00 for a box of 10 blades. (I picked up a few myself, but I though I should leave some for you. :001_smile)

A Personal Note

Lastly, while of no great import, I'd like to share a bit of personal background in hopes of not reviving some of the more controversial areas of discussion. In early April, I all of a sudden could not even walk my dogs up the block without getting sick. Fast forward to today, and I am scheduled for a second heart procedure this week. I don't want or need sympathy; my prospects are actually excellent.

But they are excellent only if I take care of myself, which includes taking anti-clotting medicine - medicine which therefore makes nicks and weepers want to keep bleeding. I was so pleased to have gotten my technique to the point of getting mostly BBS shaves with generally nothing but cold water needed to stop bleeding. Now that has changed, and even with alum and witch hazel, what seems like a slight nick takes forever to stop up and leaves an embarrassing scab anyway.

Even though this is an opportunity to further hone my technique, I still would like whatever help I can get in the hardware department. And while I am not rich, I somehow still manage to dump buckets of money into this hobby. So while there are single blade carts these days - I have some in the pipeline - I really would like something ultra skin-friendly, with panache, and more in keeping with the rest of my kit than a cart. Under the circumstances, I don't give a rat's rear end about the price of blades or who does what business practices. I just want to escape back into my luxurious hobby without bleeding like a stuck pig, and the way I see it, the Genesis seems like the best bet on the table.

Perhaps more to the point, I seriously doubt I'm the first guy that's been in this situation, and that is something worth keeping in mind.

Hi Mike, it sounds like the Genesis will benefit you with your current situation. I havent tried it but it looks like an exceptional razor, let us know how you get on with it. Take care please and godspeed with your upcoming procedure.

Top Bottom