What's new

OneBlade: $588 razor? Really?

Apparently, what makes the OB such a special razor every forum is talking about is the pivoting head. I'm sure the pivot has not any pending patents on it as it has been used by a host of others in their razors.
How long do you think someone will take apart the OB and measure the strength of the spring, couple it to an existing SE head and come out with an SE razor that has a pivot and uses artist club blades. This ought to put OB out of business.

I have two I bought used. The V1 came from Steve Hardy, the one he did the reviews with and a couple of days ago I received the second one, a product of a trade, which I don't know what version it is, so I e mailed the OB team giving the serial number asking which version it is.
The reason I did this is because just before the release of the V2 people were getting the V2 thinking it was the V1 and this one happens to have a head that moves laterally a bit more than the V1 so it could be V2 without knowing, as Steve told me his V2 does the same.
I'll keep you posted about the punch I'm going to devise for cutting the Gem all in one go.
Yestetday I discovered that version 2 is about two grams lighter than version 1. Same for the stand. If you have a scale you can check right away.

Apparently, what makes the OB such a special razor every forum is talking about is the pivoting head. I'm sure the pivot has not any pending patents on it as it has been used by a host of others in their razors.
How long do you think someone will take apart the OB and measure the strength of the spring, couple it to an existing SE head and come out with an SE razor that has a pivot and uses artist club blades. This ought to put OB out of business.

It's not just the pivoting head. It is well designed so that it gives a very smooth but close shave. I sold mine because it kind of took the fun out of this hobby of ours. It does not seem to require as much skill to use. Some guys say they have nicked themselves with it, I can't imagine how.

I have two I bought used. The V1 came from Steve Hardy, the one he did the reviews with and a couple of days ago I received the second one, a product of a trade, which I don't know what version it is, so I e mailed the OB team giving the serial number asking which version it is.
The reason I did this is because just before the release of the V2 people were getting the V2 thinking it was the V1 and this one happens to have a head that moves laterally a bit more than the V1 so it could be V2 without knowing, as Steve told me his V2 does the same.
I'll keep you posted about the punch I'm going to devise for cutting the Gem all in one go.
Sweet! Look forward to it....:thumbsup:

The OneBlade may be the best thing since sliced bread, but no way can I justify spending nearly $600 on a razor.

The title of this thread is misleading. The razor originally cost $299 and was frequently offered with discounts, then they raised the price to a ridiculous $399. When this thread was posted they were offering the razor with a Castle Forbes travel kit and a leather travel case for the razor and said the kit was "worth" $588, but were selling it for $399. It has never been a $600 razor, not that $399 is much better. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just the pivoting head. It is well designed so that it gives a very smooth but close shave. I sold mine because it kind of took the fun out of this hobby of ours. It does not seem to require as much skill to use. Some guys say they have nicked themselves with it, I can't imagine how.
It has been reported that if the pivot is disabled the OB will not cut. Also there are excellent SE heads out there that can be used with the pivot.
I agree the OB takes away from the fun and feeling of accomplishment that a non-pivot SE will give, that's why I don't use it exclusively.

It has been reported that if the pivot is disabled the OB will not cut. Also there are excellent SE heads out there that can be used with the pivot.
I agree the OB takes away from the fun and feeling of accomplishment that a non-pivot SE will give, that's why I don't use it exclusively.
Won't cut? Never heard of that. Interesting. But I don't think not having the pivot would render
it useless... It should still cut, it just wont follow the contours of your face I would think.

The title of this thread is misleading. The razor originally cost $299 and was frequently offered with discounts, then they raised the price to a ridiculous $399. When this thread was posted they were offering the razor with a Castle Forbes travel kit and a leather travel case for the razor and said the kit was "worth" $588, but were selling it for $399. It has never been a $600 razor, not that $399 is much better. [emoji849]

+1

If the pivot were rendered useless why would the OB be so much different than a Gem type, se razor?
I agree. It would work or should work like any se or GEM type razor. I did a search on the Web, I can't find anything about the OneBlade not cutting without the pivot......

Any updates or info on your proposed testing of the OB?
Yes I tested it with the pivot rendered immovable and yes it cuts and actually quite well. I didn't notice any change in cutting ability as I tried it on the straight part of my face where the pivot would not work anyway.
So, myth busted.

Yes I tested it with the pivot rendered immovable and yes it cuts and actually quite well. I didn't notice any change in cutting ability as I tried it on the straight part of my face where the pivot would not work anyway.
So, myth busted.
Figured that much. Thanks for the update.....

I have not tried it personally but consider it grossly overpriced considering that it is being made in China and requires relatively expensive blades made by one source only, Feather. Interesting too that the pivoting head is a feature of both the Oneblade and about the cheapest replaceable blade cartridge SE razor on the market, the Gillette Guard made in India. The Guard is good enough, and economical enough, so it has grabbed a huge percentage of the India market per what I have read.

I have not tried it personally but consider it grossly overpriced considering that it is being made in China and requires relatively expensive blades made by one source only, Feather. Interesting too that the pivoting head is a feature of both the Oneblade and about the cheapest replaceable blade cartridge SE razor on the market, the Gillette Guard made in India. The Guard is good enough, and economical enough, so it has grabbed a huge percentage of the India market per what I have read.

Very good points. The razor was designed in the US and the steel comes from Germany. If the QC is okay I'm not sure it makes any difference where it's made. Although, I too, would prefer it to be the US or UK or Germany.
I like my Oneblade, but I feel you are spot on about the pivot. There's a lot of cartridge bashing that go's on, but the Oneblade seems to get an exemption for the same thing.
Best regards,
Ron

What justifies the price being asked? The Supply SS injector razor, also made in China, has a base price of $79 and a range of $79 to $109 depending on options. That to me is a fair price. The Oneblade seems to me to be a ripoff considering that it is made in China by a manufacturer who has had quality control problems. The upcoming Rockwell Model T adjustable DE razor, also made in China, is supposed to be priced circa $100. Is the Oneblade really any better than my Gem MMOC, Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand classic SE razors or my Gillette New Deluxe ones? Two of my three CV Heljestrand razors are even stainless steel and look like new.

Last edited:
Items are worth what people are willing to pay.

When I was buying my house, I asked my realtor "is it worth it?" She gave me very sage advice "it's worth it if other people are willing to pay for it."

Top Bottom