What's new

One Reason Why Many Of Us Quit Cable/Satellite Tv

Hey chaps. One more small update but it is a doozy. Off to Walmart. I walked in the door and sure enough, plastered on one of the entry/exit scanners(inventory control? LOL) was a three foot tall poster declaring that indeed, you could take your dvds to Wally World and they would put a digital copy on their cloud for your streaming later. Here is the press release at Vudu which I did not realise till recently was a subsidiary of Walmart. There was another poster directly in front of the camera section saying the same thing. I was completely surprised...ahem, when the photo center clerk told me he had never heard of the service. So I came home and found the press release. $2 gets a digital copy of your dvd put on their cloud server for your streaming later. I thought the copied your discs but they claim they don't. I suspect they run the numbers on the box and play the disc on a pc optical drive that makes sure it is no t a copy. Then an authorised digital copy is loaded to the Vudu servers and you are done. I would not want to do a load of discs but consider this. If you have 100 dvds and pay them $200 to put them on the cloud you now have your library loaded to play anywhere. How many movies does it take to make a cnote? At 4-ish dollars for each pay per view it does not take long to make one hundred dollars. Doing say, ten at a time would be a nice way to cover it without all the money up front. This is the sort of thing that will drive the pricing models over the cliff. Imagine your entire collection of say Mad Men on the cloud. Now your nice, scratch free dvds are safely stored away and you can catch an episode at the airport or your hotel room whilst traveling. Pretty smart move on Walmart's part.

Cheers, Todd

Hey chaps. One more small update but it is a doozy. Off to Walmart. I walked in the door and sure enough, plastered on one of the entry/exit scanners(inventory control? LOL) was a three foot tall poster declaring that indeed, you could take your dvds to Wally World and they would put a digital copy on their cloud for your streaming later. Here is the press release at Vudu which I did not realise till recently was a subsidiary of Walmart. There was another poster directly in front of the camera section saying the same thing. I was completely surprised...ahem, when the photo center clerk told me he had never heard of the service. So I came home and found the press release. $2 gets a digital copy of your dvd put on their cloud server for your streaming later. I thought the copied your discs but they claim they don't. I suspect they run the numbers on the box and play the disc on a pc optical drive that makes sure it is no t a copy. Then an authorised digital copy is loaded to the Vudu servers and you are done. I would not want to do a load of discs but consider this. If you have 100 dvds and pay them $200 to put them on the cloud you now have your library loaded to play anywhere. How many movies does it take to make a cnote? At 4-ish dollars for each pay per view it does not take long to make one hundred dollars. Doing say, ten at a time would be a nice way to cover it without all the money up front. This is the sort of thing that will drive the pricing models over the cliff. Imagine your entire collection of say Mad Men on the cloud. Now your nice, scratch free dvds are safely stored away and you can catch an episode at the airport or your hotel room whilst traveling. Pretty smart move on Walmart's part.

Cheers, Todd

I really like Walmart's initiative. It will be great for the majority of the population. I've been making my own digital backups of my movies for the last few months though. I like being able to pick the format, store it locally rather than in the cloud, plus saving a few bucks per disc (I probably have close to 300 discs after adding up movies, concert DVDs and TV series).

The satellite went away in 2006. Was painting the house and thought why are we paying for this??? Dish hit the lawn and never saw another @#$%^ political commercial again!

The only dark cloud is is caps the ISPs are imposing. My family in Canada complains loudly and frequently about how limiting those caps are compared to ours down here in the US. If we do have caps, I've never come anywhere close to hitting them despite streaming through multiple devices, often at the same time. Up there, they get dinged all the time just for normal online activities.

Top Bottom