What's new

Oh Gluten why do you trouble me so?

Celiac disease is an autoimmune response (your body releases antibodies to wheat, like it was a pathogen).

My mother was recently diagnosed with having Redactive Celiac disease, which is pretty much the worst sort - the problem is, doctors had been treating her for IBS for 10 years before they found out! Apparently the symptoms of IBS/Celiac are very similar & as a result Celiac is very difficult to diagnose (or that's the excuse they gave).

The reason I bring this up is HotToddy, have you been tested for IBS?

I have been gluten free and most carbs as well for over a year. I have never felt better and it is the most amazing change!

Amazon subscribe and save is your friend. Once you find gluten free products you like flour types and the like, you won't find them cheaper.

Also pasta's cook much differently. Typically less time thentraditional noodles. think super el dente lol. You don't wont to make left overs as they are mush when reheated.

You don't wont to make left overs as they are mush when reheated.
I don't find this true at all, are you rinsing the noodles after cooking? I find them overly starchy and rinse them before adding sauce etc. Reheats just fine, I love spaghetti and probably make it once a week, eating leftovers for 2-3 meals.

I sent my wife the link to this thread...she was tested "free" of celiacs disease, but she has HORRIBLE stomach and upper intestine reactions when she eats some foods...we are still trying to narrow it down to what is causing the upset...What happens to her (look away if squemish) is the moment she eats the offender she gets "bloated" but not from gas...it's like her intestines swell up and fill her belly full...like she is 8 months pregnant and gets aweful pain and "bloating" which lasts from 24 to 48 hours. She is sort of ok laying on her side, but moving reactivates the whole thing and she has to be very still and in bed. We have two small kids, 6 and 4, so i's hard for Mommy to be sick all the time.

For example, last Saturday we went to BJ's and she ordered a club sandwich, no mayo, no tomato, with Mustard only, yet on her last nite she got terribly ill and had to be rushed home to go to bed. She has been tested for all sorts of stomach related issues, upper GI, Endoscopy, tissue samples, Cancer screening, bloodwork all negative...It's a point of horrible stress for me and for her, too. I am diabetic...I know what I shouldn't eat it & sucks, but she has no idea what will set her off, so she is terrified to eat...I would go GF or Paleo for her if it would help relieve her symptoms...

Sorry to hijack your thread...

Matt

I've been GF for over a year now and I feel like a new man. I was in a world of gastro-you-name-it and flatulence. Now it's much better and I can live normally. It wasn't difficult for me, except the bread, but SWMBO has made our own bread from scratch for years now. It sucked tossing almost 30 pounds of wheat based flour when we switched over though. God I'd love to have just one decent roll, warm, split in half, loaded with a sirloin patty, a few slices of bacon, and some jack cheese!
:taz:

My mother was recently diagnosed with having Redactive Celiac disease, which is pretty much the worst sort - the problem is, doctors had been treating her for IBS for 10 years before they found out! Apparently the symptoms of IBS/Celiac are very similar & as a result Celiac is very difficult to diagnose (or that's the excuse they gave).

The reason I bring this up is HotToddy, have you been tested for IBS?

Leslie145,
No I haven’t been tested for IBS but I I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. Now as I am progressing with a GF diet I’m thinking that I might have misdiagnosed. I have an appointment with my doctor next month so I will be talking with him about it then.

I sent my wife the link to this thread...she was tested "free" of celiacs disease, but she has HORRIBLE stomach and upper intestine reactions when she eats some foods...we are still trying to narrow it down to what is causing the upset...What happens to her (look away if squemish) is the moment she eats the offender she gets "bloated" but not from gas...it's like her intestines swell up and fill her belly full...like she is 8 months pregnant and gets aweful pain and "bloating" which lasts from 24 to 48 hours. She is sort of ok laying on her side, but moving reactivates the whole thing and she has to be very still and in bed. We have two small kids, 6 and 4, so i's hard for Mommy to be sick all the time.

For example, last Saturday we went to BJ's and she ordered a club sandwich, no mayo, no tomato, with Mustard only, yet on her last nite she got terribly ill and had to be rushed home to go to bed. She has been tested for all sorts of stomach related issues, upper GI, Endoscopy, tissue samples, Cancer screening, bloodwork all negative...It's a point of horrible stress for me and for her, too. I am diabetic...I know what I shouldn't eat it & sucks, but she has no idea what will set her off, so she is terrified to eat...I would go GF or Paleo for her if it would help relieve her symptoms...

Sorry to hijack your thread...

Matt

Matt
No worries! It sucks seeing a loved one have issues like that. Our entire house is probably going to be going GF/Paleo. In reading what is in our food these days is terrifying!!!

I've been GF for over a year now and I feel like a new man. I was in a world of gastro-you-name-it and flatulence. Now it's much better and I can live normally. It wasn't difficult for me, except the bread, but SWMBO has made our own bread from scratch for years now. It sucked tossing almost 30 pounds of wheat based flour when we switched over though. God I'd love to have just one decent roll, warm, split in half, loaded with a sirloin patty, a few slices of bacon, and some jack cheese!
:taz:

I was saying to my wife yesterday that I would step over my own mother for a killer burger and an ice cold beer!

To be honest, I will take a pain free existence any day over food!

I'm on week 4 of a wheat free diet and I feel great!! My heartburn is 90% under control and my sinuses are way better. My biggest problem is restaurants but it can be done, large salads, steaks/seafoods and anything not breaded and deep fried are your friends! lol

If you need to eliminate grains from your diet in addition to gluten, look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I was on it for a year and a half and it cured my digestive problems, although I still have to avoid gluten. A great cookbook is called Healing Foods: Cooking for Celiacs, Colitis, Crohn's, and IBS by Sandra Ramacher. The recipes are really good.

I was turned on to a pretty cool app for my smart phone yesterday by a lady that owns a deli that has great food AND they can make almost anything as a Gluten Free meal! If you are ever in Buffalo NY area (not sure why you would be really) go to the Broadway Deli in Lancaster NY. This place is awesome!!
Anyway this lady has a daughter that has Celiacs disease and she told me about an APP called “Find Me GF” it locates places to buy GF food. I LOVE IT!!!! And the app is free.

I was turned on to a pretty cool app for my smart phone yesterday by a lady that owns a deli that has great food AND they can make almost anything as a Gluten Free meal! If you are ever in Buffalo NY area (not sure why you would be really) go to the Broadway Deli in Lancaster NY. This place is awesome!!
Anyway this lady has a daughter that has Celiacs disease and she told me about an APP called “Find Me GF” it locates places to buy GF food. I LOVE IT!!!! And the app is free.

I just found this app this past weekend. Went to the Gluten & Allergen Free Fair & they had a booth. I haven't used it much, just browsed & messed around w/ it a bit. Looks promising.

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't even thought to look for an App. I spend a lot of time downtown and it's a nightmare trying to figure out where I can eat. I've been going to the same restaurants over and over.

Do you know if it's just wheat gluten or gluten in general that you have issues with?

If your intolerance is specifically related to wheat gluten then spelt might be a good alternative.

Do you know if it's just wheat gluten or gluten in general that you have issues with?

If your intolerance is specifically related to wheat gluten then spelt might be a good alternative.

Good question....m not sure, I know that I personally cross contaminated some chicken the other day with a seasoning that had flour in it and I found it only after we had dinner and I was cleaning up. It was a rough day after that for sure. I need to be MUCH more careful.

I've had great luck with the Pamela's Bread and Baking mixes as well as using Brown Rice Flour for coatings and gravy. Once you learn how to make your own fried chicken tenders, biscuits, and country gravy that are gluten free life doesn't seem so bad.

Top Bottom