What's new

Odd names- what were the parents thinking?

Working in a kitchen for almost 2 decades and now on an ambulance. I never ever try to pronounce names.... Ughhhhh can you spell that for me!!

I have met a Walter Wall, an Albert Hall, a Teresa Green, a Paulus Kam - he was Chinese and his name was a given name by his teacher. The amusing part is that he grew to be a little round and looked like a pineapple and Paulus sounds a little like the Cantonese word for a pineapple.

I don't have a problem with less common names and Apple and Brooklyn aren't too bad. Frank Zappa might have gone a little too far with Moon Unit and Zweezle.

Many years ago I used to deliver Xerox paper across London. After delivering into a company in Canary Wharf I got back in the lift and happened to glance at the delivery note, the signature said:

A. Snowman

I laughed and said to the guy I was working with 'I think someone is having a bit of a laugh' to which a reply came back to me form a woman in the lift 'Oh no, thats Andrew, his name really is A. Snowman.'

My best friend in high school was named elizabeth behan. Kids being kids shorted it to liz behan. She changed her middle name to her first and now goes by chevaun. What were her parents thinking!!!

My Mother was at school with a girl called Ophelia Bott. Another girl at my pals school was called Annette Kurten. A chap I worked with named Austin Morris.

Has anyone heard of a Ronnie Nose, Mable Syrup, Dwayne Pipe, Conner Shop, Wayne Barrel, Warwick Hunt, Russel Kattil, Norman Sland, Oliver Nuther, Harry Nuts, Mary Christmas and a Abby Newyear?

I once worked with a Jack Jackman. His dad actually told him he picked it to be funny.

I also worked with a Dorcas (pronounced Dork-us). The first time someone told me to go check with Dorcas, I thought "that's so rude! I'm surprised no one has said anything to HR..."

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
On of the guys I was with in the reserves was Ignats Jerkus. Nice guy facing a bit of a hurdle. My wife taught primary school for many years. Amazing names in the class lists. My favourite was Quasar.

Top Bottom