What's new

OCtober 2014

Shutterbug, thanks for sponsoring a fun gathering, replete with stats! That's a lot of shaves, and a lot of razors!!! Thanks to all participating members!:thumbup:

Here are all of my Open Combs in one shot. Two razors did not get into OC October, the 1912 Gem and the USA Single Ring.
Top row from the left.
Gem Lather Catcher, Gemm MmOC, Valet VC#, Valet VC3, Goodwill, New LC - Walter Rosenburg, New LC - Uncle Bob.
Bottom Row from Left.
Canadian Single Ring, USA Single Ring *, New Improved, England Single Ring clone, Gillette Old Type w/ Tech Ball End handle, Unknown OC - Snaggletooth, Ever Ready 1912, Gem 1912.
* USA single ring dates to 1919, my Father's birth year.
View attachment 514821
Here there are again heads first.
View attachment 514822

Great stuff Shutterbug.

Only one correction. I have only one modern OC which is the Jaws.

The Frankenrazors were driving me nuts in categorizing. I put the "Jaws cap, Brit. Mil. issue BP & Perfecta handle" in the modern category. I will correct this. Next year I will have build a more robust database as we are going rather than trying to recap at the end.

Hi,

I had 27 shaves with my Fasan, but it must be counted with the Others even though the count was over 20.

Stan

Shaved this morning with my Old Type SC, now all put back together. Even with a NOS Triton R3 (an East German blade, therefore no newer than 1989, and not with the very best reputation at that) I had fine shave...BBS in three easy passes. I think I am a convinced OC guy, now it's on to build my collection beyond one Old Type, one New LC, and one just acquired and still unused Valet Auto-Strop.

Where do I go razor-wise? I'm only really interested in vintage, what else is affordable, besides the Gem Micromat I have my eyes on already?

Thanks and regards, Brother BOTOCs,

dave

You know you have a nice collection of OC razors when a dozen of them don't get used in OCtober!
What is the NEW at the top? Is that a modern handle?

Thanks!

It's a LC on a Weber handle. It was with another razor I picked up and I just put it on that handle to keep up with it.

The Frankenrazors were driving me nuts in categorizing. I put the "Jaws cap, Brit. Mil. issue BP & Perfecta handle" in the modern category. I will correct this. Next year I will have build a more robust database as we are going rather than trying to recap at the end.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the frankens being difficult to categorize. Thanks for all the stats. As I said earlier, it indeed deserves a standing ovation.

It's great to see a whopping 446 razors being used.

Hi,

It was a lot of fun. I miss it already. Although, I am still At It. The Fasan is used two pass for DFS every day. The Old Type third pass for BBS once or twice a week. Every other week or so sees a day with a second, single pass shave with the OT. I know my SOTD reports were pretty boring. I miss seeing all the others posting, though. Especially all those razors other than what I have used myself.

My kudos for all the work keeping the list up to date with all those entries, and the data compilation at the end. Lots of work for little (read: zero) pay! :)

Stan

Top Bottom