What's new

October 2014 Acquisitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was talking to my dad the other day, telling him how I've recently got into wet shave and started using a DE, and he told me about an Old Spice mug he had at home that was his dad's. My dad has rocked a beard for over 30 years so I knew he wouldn't be using it, and asked if I could have it. My dad said yes and gave it to me this past weekend. The mug is in pretty good condition. It has "Ship Grand Turk Salem -1786" in red writing and one blue ship on each side of the text. My dad wasn't really sure when my grandpa originally got it, but thought that it was in the 60s, maybe the 70s.

My grandpa passed away when I was really young so I don't really have a memory of him, and I thought this would be a cool way of having something to remember him by, even if I don't truly remember him. I think it's also cool having something that's been passed down through a few generations now, and hopefully I can pass it on to my little guy when he starts shaving, which will be in about 16 years since he only 9 months. :lol:

$photo.JPG

I have one just like yours, and I love it! Its really neat you got yours from a family member. What do you plan on loading it up with?

Those are great mugs. I have one too, but not as good as a family heirloom. Plop a puck of soap in it and enjoy.

BTW, I think they are from the 60s.

thanks for the link! Looks like these were sold between 68-74, which is right around the time my dad thought my grandpa got it. Now to wait for a few pucks i ordered from a small soap maker in wi to load it up with.

I have this mug and the Ship Recovery mug. Congrats on having a memory of your Grandfather!

Last edited:
My Old Spice mug collection is at 4 right now. I'd have more, but I'm limiting my collecting to mugs that I've found in the wild. I love them.

Really cool that yours is a family heirloom.

I have three of the size and shape of yours, but all with somewhat different graphics. I have two more set aside for grandsons when they are old enough for them. One grandson already has one. Their three match my three. I have sold or given away many more so I have probably had about 20 pass through my hands. I also have the larger black one that Old Spice never sold, they only gave them away as promotional items. It's great with larger brushes.

I have three of the size and shape of yours, but all with somewhat different graphics. I have two more set aside for grandsons when they are old enough for them. One grandson already has one. Their three match my three. I have sold or given away many more so I have probably had about 20 pass through my hands. I also have the larger black one that Old Spice never sold, they only gave them away as promotional items. It's great with larger brushes.

Do you have a pic of the large promotional mug? I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's great when you get stuff like this handed down. My grandfather was the only one in my family that wet shaved and all his kit was thrown out when he died. It sucks when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom