What's new

Noob here, looking for present

Hey guys/girls my gf is getting heavy into the crafting scene. I would like her to have a nice pen to use with everything that she is doing. I'm also going to be looking for her a leather journal but I'm not sure which one to buy first. I would like the journal to be customized for her. Birthday is in May and the other gift will be for vday.

The pen will need to be under $200. I have read reviews online and it seems like the Lamy 2000 is the way to go but I don't really like the look of it compared to some of the other beautiful fountain pens out there. Also I was curious if I should go fine or medium for her first fountain pen.

I'm willing to take advice so if you all think I should go cheaper and steel just let me know, I was just thinking a golden nib would be a beautiful first for her. Thanks for all your help and looking forward to all the replies.

For a gold nibbed pen in your budget, the Pilot Custom 74 is a good choice. You could also go with a Sailor Pro Gear Slim. Either would be an excellent alternative to the Lamy 2000. The Pilot is a larger pen. The Sailor is smaller. As to nib width, that depends a lot on her handwriting. I suppose I might suggest a medium nib in either of those pens unless she has fairly small handwriting.

I'm not sure where to point you for a customized leather journal.

For the leather journal I thinkba midori travelers notebook would make a nice gift for her she will be able to customize it almost endlessly

A pen that is beautiful and in your budget plus it is a terrific writer as well is the Platinum 3776 Century. I have the Bourgogne version which is a beautiful burgundy color. It has a wonderful 14k gold nib. Like with any Japanese pen the nib sizes run up to about a full size narrower than marked. (Japanese B= Western M) Cost at a dealer in the US such as Goulet Pens will be about $175. I got mine from a Japanese vendor on Amazon. Saved me nearly $100.

As to what she should start with? How big is her handwriting?

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I would like to customize the outside. With like her itinals and a short saying. I checked out these and I don't believe they do that sort of thing. Thank you.

When I get home tomorrow (at work tonight) I can post a sample of her writing style. Thanks, these are very nice looking.

Wow, I just looked up the pilot custom. Another amazing pen. I'd like to stay away from the slimmer items. Now the choice is getting harder. I'm not sure between the pilot and the platinum 3776.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Wow, I just looked up the pilot custom. Another amazing pen. I'd like to stay away from the slimmer items. Now the choice is getting harder. I'm not sure between the pilot and the platinum 3776.

Just to help and simplify, there is also Sailor to consider.

proxy.php

I'll let others make suggestions on the pen, because frankly, there are so many options that it's hard for me to say "get one of these".

But about the leather journal. A lot of people get carried away by the look of a leather cover, understandably. But the quality of the paper inside the journal is what makes it a pleasure to write in, or not. If you get your girlfriend a fountain pen, and she likes it, then she will want a paper that's "fountain pen friendly". That usually means a smooth paper that's not too lightweight (22 lb and up seems to work well for me).

Besides the Midori journal mentioned above, there are Franklin Christoph leather covers, which take standard sized notebook refills in several sizes. But no, they aren't customized by the maker in the way you want. The best suggestion I can make is to find someone who will make a notebook cover, not a notebook, for some standard size (A5 is common for journals). The second best suggestion would be, if you find someone who sells customized notebooks like this with the paper already sewn in, is to make sure you ask what paper is in it.

I know you said you wanted to stay away from slimmer pens, but in my limited experience with SWMBO, slimmer pens are better for her smaller hands. Obviously if she has larger hands, I can totally see going for a larger pen.

I will second the Pilot Custom 74 and Platinum 3776 recommendations. It's really hard to go wrong with either of these pens, and I personally own both, 74 with a soft fine medium nib and the 3776 in a broad. The Pilot is slimmer than the 3776. The nib on the Platinum is a little toothier than the 74. Pilot nibs in general are known for being extremely well-tuned and buttery smooth. Platinum give more feedback.

I'm inclined to recommend the 74 as a nicer first pen, since it coupled with the right paper is hard to beat and would make a fantastic first impression. I don't believe any of the US retailers offer the soft nibs so you'd have to go the Amazon/bay route if you wanted a soft.

Top Bottom