What's new

Non-tallow based soaps, four huge surprises

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have always been a tallow based soap fan. And the vast majority of my shaving soaps are tallow based. Products like Cella, P.160, Valobra stick or MWF (just to name a few) would surely not be the same without that “magic” ingredient, that I wholeheartedly love, called tallow. The only vegetable soap that was close to a tallow based one for quality, lather and performance was, for me, Valobra, Crema di Sapone Purissima. This is a top shelf Italian soft soap that I’ve been using for years. And until a few months ago my experience with high quality veggie soaps was limited to this one. During the 2010, however, I discovered several other exceptional shaving soaps without tallow. The first huge surprise was Martin de Candre, from France. In March a friend coming to Rome from Paris brought me a small jar of this fabulous gem. I was so impressed with it that I immediately ordered two big pots and have added MdC to my regular rotation of top shelf soaps. The second huge surprise was in May, with the new Acca Kappa 1869. This, although technically described as a shaving cream, is a traditional Italian soft soap. And it’s also one of the very best. AK 1869 can certainly compete with the finest Italian tallow based soaps. The third huge surprise came in July, while I was in vacation in Spain. I intentionally avoided bringing with me any of my trusted shaving soaps because I wanted to test something new, that was unavailable in Italy. And I did find it. It is called La Toja. This fantastic stick gave me so wonderful shaves that, during the whole two weeks I was in Madrid, I did shave exclusively with La Toja (following up with Floid Mentolado Suave). The fourth and last huge surprise came in September, when it was opened, here in Rome, the new boutique L’Occitane. I found it fortuitously and I immediately took a Cade soap with the Aluminium bowl. It was a marvellous experience, from the first shave. In November I also joined the Cade challenge here on B&B and really loved shaving with this great French veggie soap. In conclusion, my friends, never stop testing, even the most experienced wet shavers can find new, outstanding soaps. And do not underrate vegetable soaps, some of them are truly excellent. Or, if you prefer, some of them are as good as your beloved tallow based soaps.

Last edited:
So far, of the non-tallow soaps you mentioned Marco, La Toja is the only one I have tried and I agree with you, it's a top notch soap that performs for me as well as my tallow ones.

Marco my friend...have you ever tried Provence Sante green tea? I'm curious to see how you compare this to your favored tallow soaps...to me this soap behaves very tallow like for a veggie soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco my friend...have you ever tried Provence Sante green tea? I'm curious to see how you compare this to your favored tallow soaps...to me this soap behaves very tallow like for a veggie soap.

Tom, I have heard excellent things about this soap. Do you know if there is a European vendor for it? I've seen it only on the US on-line shops, but shipping costs from the US, with customs taxes added, are really too high.

Last edited:
Tom, I have heard excellent things about this soap. Do you know if there is a European vendor for it? I've seen it only on the US on-line shops, but shipping costs from the US, with Customs taxes added, are really too high.

I'm not very familiar with EU vendors, but being that it is made in France I would imagine so.

A great post Marco- many thanks. It is indeed so true...... we should always keep our eyes open and be ready to try new things!

And the best Marco?, without any bias! lol

By the way, have you tried Barbus?

I only got to try it once. Wasn't a fan of the scent but the performance wasn't bad at all.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
And the best Marco?, without any bias! lol

By the way, have you tried Barbus?

I only got to try it once. Wasn't a fan of the scent but the performance wasn't bad at all.

Among those four it is very hard to say which one is the best... Never tried Barbus. Do you have a link for this product?

Yes, a great post indeed. I get tired of the myth that a great soap needs tallow. Tallow is not a "magic" ingredient.

I'm not very familiar with EU vendors, but being that it is made in France I would imagine so.
It appears that the soap is once again available from Provence Santé France directly, and unless I miss my guess it is actually the Green Tea product ("... Parfumé d’une note fraîche et légère aux accents de thé ..."). The Verlaine fragrance is no longer available, nor is the rather strange after shave. However, apparently the Green Tea cologne is now available too.

The fourth and last huge surprise came in September, when it was opened, here in Rome, the new boutique L’Occitane. I found it fortuitously and I immediately took a Cade soap with the Aluminum bowl. It was a marvelous experience, from the first shave.

Hey they just opened a new boutique here in Houston, Texas and it's less than a mile from where I live! Gonna get me some. Thanks for the info Marco.:thumbup1:

Marco, one question on the "new" Acca Kappa 1869. When I look at their catalog all I see the the 1869 without any mention of it being "new" or changed. If I order some on-line from Amazon or one of the other retailers will I get the "new" AK 1869? Basically how can I be sure to get the "new" version.

Yes, a great post indeed. I get tired of the myth that a great soap needs tallow. Tallow is not a "magic" ingredient.

Tallow may not be a magic ingredient, but soaps that include it can be stellar performers. That said, there are plenty of veggie-based soaps that perform very well, and are well worth a try.

Marco - As always, a great writeup! :thumbup1:

Some of my favorite veggie soaps:

* Trumpers: Great performer and many terriffic scents)
* Provence Sante: I prefer the regular Verlain scente compared to green Tea. The green tea scent is too subtle for me.
* Pre De Provence: Performs the same as Provence Sante for me, very strong scent that I like.

Artisinal:
* Saint Charles Shave: Great performance and may fine scents)
* QED: Good performance but the scents are outstanding. QED uses a very high concerntration of EO's for the scent and some of them my skin likes a lot, specifically Lime and Sandalwood)

The MDC is on my short list to try someday soon. I'm sad I missed the recent buy.

Last edited:
Marco,
I'd love to hear your review of Prep. For your latest experimentation it may be the best of both worlds. Italian and veggie based. It's actually my favorite Italian soap among the ones I've tried, Cella, P160 and Proraso.
Many thanks for your passionate and positive past and future posts! (That's a lot of "P's" isn't it?)

Agree on everything but Cade, which is too finicky to lather correctly.

MdC is turning into one of my absolute favorites!
Acca Kappa is the best cream I've tried.
La Toja is definitely no slouch either.

For another non-tallow great performer I would suggest trying the Klar Kabinett barber shop soap. Great rose scent and tremendous lather.

Great post Marco, as usual.:thumbup1:
But I want to ask what is the difference between lanolin and tallow? If lanolin is a type of tallow, I am sure that Acca Kappa 1869 will have outed to the list. I am sorry for asking this question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom