What's new

non petroleum silicone lubricant good for top cap thread?

It's chromed metal (usually brass). There shouldn't be any oils or true lubricants that will harm it. Just make it turn easily - possibly too easily.

Thanks gents.

I read the silicone lube protects metals from water, which really got my attention as zamak thread posts worry me more than any other part of the razor (my beloved progress).

I'll go ahead with the silicone lube.

I use mineral oil, but wouldn't be opposed to trying some Jet-Lube silicone grease.
The Jet-Lube works great for projects around the house.

Is it on to use a silicone based machine oil to keep razor threads good?
I use this on my EJ89. The threads aren't chrome plated and they didn't mesh smoothly with the handle. Given that the threads are the most frequent failure on that razor, I think a little pipe dope on the threads is a good idea. I expect it will work just as well on any other razor. It costs somewhere around $3-4 for a tube, and it's very handy for shower heads, faucet connectors, etc. You can use it instead of Teflon tape.
upload_2017-3-9_14-33-39.png

IMG_0435.JPG

Lot of great suggestions. I'm partial to high quality sewing machine oil. Clear, odorless and does a great job with a smooth connection. It's really great stuff.

Clean and dry is what you need, oil and grease will collect and retain foreign material and cause wear, and since it will then be water resistant, you won't be able to rinse it clean.

When I think of Old Grandpa who used one DE razor year after year, no lube and no cleaning, and died leaving a perfectly good razor for someone to pick up on eBay... I wonder.

Even with only four razors in rotation, each gets two twists per month. One to put the blade in, one to take it out. That's 24 a year.

Anything we do to our razors is due to our love of them, but not needed... I use mineral oil once every six months. It's written on my calendar to remind me :a39:

Top Bottom