What's new

No guard DE?

View attachment 764144 View attachment 764145 View attachment 764146
I have read through the first 20 pages or so of this thread and love the idea. I have gotten into shavettes recently and enjoy the experience, but find there are limits to maneuverability(surely mine, but limits nonetheless) and feel like this helps to address that in a fairly straightforward way. As I didn't have anything easily convertible, nor the proper tools to do a nice job of it, I decided to try the plateless devette using my Merkur 42 head and ball end Tech handle with a SuperMax Stainless. I instantly was trepidatious as the blade seemed to be very agile, let me say. There was no tension whatsoever. I did OK on a WTG pass. There was a lot of skipping because of blade flex so I should have quit, but I felt like I was getting a bit of a feel. I couldn't go straight to ATG as the stubble was too much and the blade just jumped around, so I kept mowing down in XTG. Finally got around to ATG but still found the hair too long or tough to really get a purchase on my chin, so stopped there. I did about 4 passes and got a SAS with some spots cleaner than others. I had a hard time on the chin as I couldn't stretch the skin far enough it felt like to allow this thing to work. Skin stretching definitely helped but I didn't care for the loose feel of the blade. I got no weepers, but if I had tried to get closer, I'm sure I could have gotten myself good. I think for me, a base plate is a must, though maybe there are combos that work better than others. I will attempt to modify the base plate of the Merkur as I think given the head geometry, it will work pretty well that way. I also am curious about my Fine Superlite. The rigidity of that blade is second to none, and I am just imagining what it could do for that setup. Oh, no blood, no weepers, just couldn't get the blade to shave close enough.

With your limited resources, you could cut a bunch of shims from old blades and use them as a baseplate, use as many as you like. Should work...

I've been off in the land of the 2011 R41, Roedter 1909 and Asylum Rx so it was definitely time to pay the Devette another visit:
IMG_6933.JPG

What an AMAZING!!!!!! shave.
If your technique is up to it then perhaps this really is the greatest shave on earth...

...And the weird no-flex voodoo of those Kai blades is perfect for the Devette.
Shave on fleek :001_smile

Glad to see this thread revived. My devettes don't see much action since I joined the Feather Artist Club club, but it's indeed a great way to shave. Lots of fun, too.

...And the weird no-flex voodoo of those Kai blades is perfect for the Devette.
Shave on fleek :001_smile
After seeing your post I broke out my "No Guard" Tech for the last shave of "One Blade in February."
upload_2017-3-2_17-2-22.png

That was one fabulous shave! Thank you for the inspiration Marcus. :thumbup1:

I do have one Kai lurking in my "to be trialled" tin. I suspect that will be the one for my next "No Guard" shave...

I have used the BBX devette in the past and thought it gave a very nice shave. I have recently been thinking of getting rid of some razors I don't use, as I've been using the Ikon Tech exclusively. One of these is a Gillette Old Type. It's not in perfect condition and I am thinking about turning it into a devette.

I used my NEW SC DEvette today for my face shave only. I put the safety's back on for my head shave.

The only thing shaving with the DEvette gets me is a pass to post in this thread. The blade had 5 face and 5 head shaves on it to start. I managed a blood free BBS shave with it. It pretty much took the same amount of work as my 48-50 Aristocrat, the shave will probably last a little longer though.

Greater risk for the same reward.

I put the safety back on for my head shave and put the blade back in my NDC Franken Redtip SS for a effortless BBS head shave. Perfect blade exposure for my technique.

I may use it again when the blade dulls a little more, maybe not...

I was inspired to compare the Devette with the 2011 R41 so tonight shaved the left side of my face with the Devette and the right side with the 2011 both using an all time great blade NOS British Wilkinson:
IMG_6984.JPG

To be honest after the Roedter 1909 the Devette is a walk in the park!
And doing this comparison it is clear how much the Shavecraft Tech and the Devette have in common.
Of course different razors modified to Devettes will have different characteristics because of cap width and curvature.
This modified 1920's British OC braces the blade very well and really does feel like a more extreme Shavecraft Tech (which is a good thing).
The 2011 R41 feels quite different and noticeably smoother.

30mins after the shave the 2011 side is a waxy BBS, the Devette side feels like sandstone BBS (just like the ST actually).
It will be very interesting, at least to some, to see how the two sides grow out...
IMG_6985.JPG

24hrs later, the Devette had still shaved just about as close as the 2011 R41 and the stubble on the Devette side was a little silkier.
No real surprises there then...

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
24hrs later, the Devette had still shaved just about as close as the 2011 R41 and the stubble on the Devette side was a little silkier.
No real surprises there then...
I'm not sure I'm brave enough! Nice job, man.

I had another fine shave with my Gillette "No Guard" Tech (The Coach) today.
upload_2017-4-14_0-43-4.png

I intend toning it down a little, so my next shave will be with my Mk1 Piccolo (18mm cap), which I consider to be more aggressive than my (2013) Mühle R41. I rate my Mk2 Piccolo (19mm cap) as less aggressive than the R41.

I like a shaving challenge, as do many on this thread. But something did cross my mind...
I'm a predominantly steep angle shaver (guard rider [when there is one:001_rolle]). But without the guard (just for general safety) the No-Guard/Devette must be a cakewalk for shallow angle shavers (cap riders). What do you think?

... the No-Guard/Devette must be a cakewalk for shallow angle shavers (cap riders). What do you think?
I'm not so sure. I suspect there are more ways to slip up with a no-guard razor, whether your preferred angle is shallow or steep. Cap riders may be in for a surprise or two with the devette, at least in the beginning.

It's all a matter of practice. If you psych yourself out over how wicked a devette or straight looks, you deprive yourself of the opportunity to master it. Shaving with an unguarded blade is a very learnable skill. We've been conditioned to fear it by the safety-razor culture of the last 100+ years. I have nothing against safety razors -- it's an ingenious concept, needless to say -- but it doesn't justify the aura of extreme difficulty that hovers over bare-blade shaving. The current interest in traditional shaving is helping to dispel that aura, I think, as more people discover the devette/sevette and, especially, the straight razor/shavette.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but here we go. Thanks to @mjclark & @1Cal for your words of encouragement as you guys were my inspiration for trying this fantastic method of shaving. I was too apprehensive about no baseplate but @rudyt comment set my mind at ease and I carried on with impunity or reckless abandon, depending on how you look at it. I did use my devette exclusively all DEcember until Christmas day when I received a Parker SRX shavette. I have continued for the last 7 months to use the devette or shavette for my Saturday morning shaves ( I only shave 3 times a week) and all I can say is that it has improved my technique so much that my normal DE shaves with my MTO are a walk in the park. Next step is to cut the guard off the MTO, has anyone made a devette with a TTO? Thanks again for opening my eyes to this fantastic method of shaving.
P.S. @1Cal, that small brush was just a no name synthetic for our local supermarket, at Christmas with the Parker SRX I also received an Omega boar brush (10065 I think) that I have used exclusively since then.

P.S. @1Cal, that small brush was just a no name synthetic for our local supermarket, at Christmas with the Parker SRX I also received an Omega boar brush (10065 I think) that I have used exclusively since then.
Thank you for the response DB. :thumbup1:

I just love small brushes. I've been using my Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino exclusively for a while. But my last shave was with my Omega S10065 (like yours only synthetic boar), and WOW, I'd forgotten how wonderful it was. If only Omega made an S Brush with the same knot size as the Bambino I'd be in heaven.

upload_2017-6-3_5-47-22.png

3 more sevettes.
First picture, this one is made with a neodymium magnet => no shaving with magnetic steel piercing I guess.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (15).jpg

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
Genius! You should patent those!
I have seriously thought about a patent but the market for this device is probably too small. And perhaps it already exists, I am not the first one using magnets.

A common DE/ SE shaver that are not used to devettes would cut themselves and give bad feedback for the product.

Better to tell the enthusiast at B&B about it so it can be used by anyone interested.

The magnet would have to be strong enough to hold the blade absolutely still. Does it do that?
The magnet is a 3mm thick very strong neodymium magnet bought from the US, yes it do keep the blade in position. The blade exposure in the pictures is actually the magnets preferred position of the blade. This makes it extremely easy to change blade, just slide it in lengthwise and the magnet auto position the exposure :)

I got a couple more of my favorite Phoenix 7075 Aluminum 3¼" handles today and I now have my latest Devette set up ready for tonights shave.

Originally "The Coach" as I call it was an oval slot Gillette Tech (safety guards removed) with a Bakelite handle. I've been playing around with parts to come up with a "better" Coach.

Here's a profile view of the modified Tech on the 7075 handle:
upload_2017-6-20_19-53-41.png

And here it is with a Rapira Platinum Lux cap on:
upload_2017-6-20_19-55-25.png

Now THAT looks like more fun! :devil:

So here's Coach 2 (who I'm sure will be a little less forgiving than Coach 1) ready for tonight's shave:
upload_2017-6-20_19-59-47.png

I'll report back on how I find my new FrankenDevette. :laugh:

Top Bottom