What's new

Nib Acquisitions: January 2017

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Happy New Year! 2017 is upon us! There are pens to be had. There are inks to acquire. Pages upon pages will be written this year. I wish you all a plentiful 2017 and that your acquisitions be boundless. :001_smile Now, let's see those acquisitions!

Last edited:
Just arrived. A Lamy 2000 .7mm mechanical pencil, to match my Lamy 2000 fountain pen, and some extra leads. I thought I'd give the Pilot Neox leads a shot. This is a great feeling pencil, and I love how precisely the lead advances. Two clicks advances just enough lead.

I also took delivery of a bottle of Parker Quink Blue Black (no pic, sorry). My Prera really doesn't like that ink. I'll have to try it in one of my wetter pens.

$IMG_0975.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Picked up yet another N.O.S. Pelikan old-style M200 marked W-Germany, this time with a soft broad steel nib.

Erik led a blind ink test a few months back. There were a couple of inks I really liked, one was Pilot's Iroshizuku Yama-Guri (Wild Chestnut).

$yama guri.jpg

A Goulet package was in today's mail, much to the wife's dismay.

I also have a Jinhao X-750 I like to use, weight and dimensions work well for me. The original medium nib is too wet and fat to use in the log books at work. Along with the ink, was a Goulet Ultra Extra Fine black steel nib for the X-750. I know it quadruples the value of the pen, but it sure works nice in it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Picked up yet another N.O.S. Pelikan old-style M200 marked W-Germany, this time with a soft broad steel nib.

Nice!

Erik led a blind ink test a few months back. There were a couple of inks I really liked, one was Pilot's Iroshizuku Yama-Guri (Wild Chestnut).

View attachment 716734

A Goulet package was in today's mail, much to the wife's dismay.

I also have a Jinhao X-750 I like to use, weight and dimensions work well for me. The original medium nib is too wet and fat to use in the log books at work. Along with the ink, was a Goulet Ultra Extra Fine black steel nib for the X-750. I know it quadruples the value of the pen, but it sure works nice in it.

One of my favorite inks. :thumbup1:

:w00t: Your leading comment reminded me that I need to do a follow-up post in that thread! I'm glad that you could get something out of it!

Philadelphia Pen Show Haul:

Just two pens (I escaped with still some cash in my wallet), but I'm real happy with both.
1) TWSBI Mini Vac, Medium Nib. Been eyeing one for a while and finally got to handle one. I think this is the nicest TWSBI out there.
2) Bexley Demeter, Medium Nib. Classic shape, understated but still eye-catching with the thin, red rings. Also an excellent writer. Bexley makes some of the nicest US-made pens out there.

$IMG_3748.jpg

$IMG_3750.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Philadelphia Pen Show Haul:

Just two pens (I escaped with still some cash in my wallet), but I'm real happy with both.
1) TWSBI Mini Vac, Medium Nib. Been eyeing one for a while and finally got to handle one. I think this is the nicest TWSBI out there.
2) Bexley Demeter, Medium Nib. Classic shape, understated but still eye-catching with the thin, red rings. Also an excellent writer. Bexley makes some of the nicest US-made pens out there.

View attachment 716839

Sweet scores, Larry! I haven't been drawn to many Bexley's, but that one just looks cool. Maybe I'll have to start considering picking one up. Nice pens! :thumbup:

Do they have a showroom?
No, but they do tours around the machines. They don't do any retail themselves. It's all through retailers.

I thought they used to have visiting hours but I can't find it anymore. I actually drive past them when running errands. It's just an unmarked business complex.

$20170116_210552.jpg

I picked up this Sheaffer Jade Senior today. It's heading off tomorrow for repair. The bladder needs replacing and the nib could use some work.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I picked up this Sheaffer Jade Senior today. It's heading off tomorrow for repair. The bladder needs replacing and the nib could use some work.

Beautiful ... not much discoloration. Love those old white dot pens.

Congrats on the find!

An accidental acquisition of a burgundy Parker 45. $18+shipping, including 14k nib. Or so the listing says. It arrives first of the week. I will know for sure then.

Scotch & eBay, a bad combination.
No Scotch. A soon to be ending auction, an attractive pen a increase in the max bid of $0.50 and a win. (it was Martin Luther King day)
The pen arrived Monday (1/23) it did have a 14k A nib (accountant). This is one seriously fine nib. Have it filled with Chesterfield Fire Opal - a had a sample of it that I hadn't tried yet.

I had picked up old bottles of Watermans SSB and Tropic Green a while back. The ink inside appeared okay, but when I took out the bottle to fill a pen last weekend, I noticed a bit of rust from the old cap floating in the SSB. Decided it was time to transfer the ink into new bottles. Picked up a couple old Papier Plume bottles from Vanness as I really love the design from a display perspective (not ideal for filling from) and filtered both bottles of ink last night into their new bottles. I was a little worried what I'd find when I poured the old ink into a bowl before filtering, but was pleasantly surprised that both inks were perfectly fine with no mold or strings to speak of. I think the new bottles will look quite nice sitting next to the old bottles / boxes, as the old boxes and labels are actually in very good shape.

Along with the bottles I picked up some samples that were on my list - RO Fire & Ice, Purple Soul and Purple Rock, KWZI Grey Plum, Callifolio Bourgogne and Olivastre, and Papier Plume Forget-me-not Blue and Pecan.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I got this guy a few days ago, a 2012 Franklin-Christoph B&B Essential fountain pen. The nib & section were clogged to the point where I couldn't even pass air through it until earlier today (what on earth was that purple, Mark? :tongue_sm). The pen is flushed, clean, and ready to be inked now. I'll ink it up tonight or tomorrow and jot down my thoughts about it to share tomorrow.

$IMG_20170128_140605675.jpg

$IMG_20170128_140648441.jpg

Top Bottom