Next step after Muhle R41?

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by mathiashellsing, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hi gents!

I really love my R41 with Voskhod blades.. but sometimes i feel i would like to take one step more in the aggressive/effectiveness ladder .. but i have *no* clue what comes after a R41 ..

any suggestions/ideas?

2. ackvil

ackvil Moderator Contributor

A Machete?
    [​IMG]

3. Try a straight?
    Depilatory?
    Laser?

4. Haha.

Only thing i can think of right now is the Futur that could be more aggressive then the R41 .. but would like some other ideas from you guys.

5. There is a whole world of slants waiting for you out there. Start with the usual suspects: PAA BSOC, Merkur 37c/39c, Ikon X3, RR Wunderbar, ATT S2. Once you get past that, then you move to the hard stuff - Single edges!

6. Timeless with a .95 blade gap

7. rabidus

rabidus Contributor

Postwar Tech! If you can wield it...

8. Agree. Having used a lot of razors over the last 5 decades I find the Timeless OC the most efficient razor I have ever used.

9. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Contributor

I've been on the journey you're starting. I began with an R41 of the 2013 variety, and decided I needed to get my mitts on the more aggressive 2011 version. I then heard the Ikon Shavecraft Tech was a worthy competitor, and got one of those. More recently, I acquired the PAA DOC Evo and Charcoal Goods Level 3. These four are my most aggressive DEs (except for my Le Coq cage comb, which is hard to find), and it's hard to say one is more aggressive than the others.

10. +2! YIKES! :a47::a47::a47::a47::a47:

11. A postwar Tech is more aggressive than a Muhle R41? I have both pre and post war techs, 5 to be exact, and I have always found them to be quite mild.......

12. rabidus

rabidus Contributor

Postwar Tech...Less blade exposure, more rigidity, smoother, more efficient, safer than a R41. If you can wield it!

13. 1Cal

1Cal Contributor

Then moving on to the ultimate post war Tech (with the guards removed) :devil::
    upload_2017-3-16_2-34-43.png

14. Thanks for the slant-tip. Anyone know if there is big difference between ikon x3 and 102 head?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

15. OK, this got a good chuckle out of me. :302:

16. Try a shavette like the Irving Barber Company’s razor

IBC-chrome-brandy-razor-1_1024x1024.jpg

17. rabidus

rabidus Contributor

Anybody can shave with one of those! :001_rolle When you can master a postwar Tech, you have truly reached ascension. :angel:

18. Ikon Shavecraft Tech is an aggressive beast. Stopped shaving with mine because it was too aggressive.

19. From the folks that own both, this is definitely a YMMV thing. I have the X3 and found it to be a good shaver, but on the mild side. I use the silicon O Ring trick to adjust the base plate so that it shaves like the original it was cloned from where one side is more aggressive than the other. Works great that way.