What's new

Next SR

I've had my ralf aust 5/8 for about 3 years now and itching to get another one. Looking for recommendations :)

Well we need a budget and several other particulars like what point do you like what kind of grind, vintage or new etc... the biggest thing is budget, you can go from a $150 Ralf Aust to a $700 Damascus from Wacker, BBRW has really nice looking razors and so does Koraat but again what is your budget ?

I am in the same boat of wanting a second blade, after a few posts I have settled on a Semi custom from Brian Brown custom razors. My discussion was based on: (1) I felt strongly about supporting a US artisan. (2) I wanted a semi-custom one of a kind blade not something anyone could get without breaking the bank (3) The look of Brian's Straights are beautiful. (4) A lot of B&B members own his razors and only have great things to say about the blades but also on the whole purchase experience.
At the end of the day I am going with get what I want as this is a life time purchase+ and 100.00 or 200 is nothing in the long term. If I love the blade as much as other I will probably drop a lot more on a full custom down the road.

Not sure on what your budget, wants, etc are, but I think my next new blade purchase is going to be something from Portland Razor Co. They seem decent, have good reviews, and aren't too pricey. I'll probably shoot for 7/8 and maybe Spanish or French point from them. Who knows though, that may change by the time I get around to buying something.

Not sure on what your budget, wants, etc are, but I think my next new blade purchase is going to be something from Portland Razor Co. They seem decent, have good reviews, and aren't too pricey. I'll probably shoot for 7/8 and maybe Spanish or French point from them. Who knows though, that may change by the time I get around to buying something.

Simple solution...buy one of each....lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Another vote here for Brian Brown. I bought my one and only custom a while ago from him and it had been a favorite ever since.

Well we need a budget and several other particulars like what point do you like what kind of grind, vintage or new etc... the biggest thing is budget, you can go from a $150 Ralf Aust to a $700 Damascus from Wacker, BBRW has really nice looking razors and so does Koraat but again what is your budget ?
Would like to keep it under $200

There are lots of good choices up $200 but nothing custom made, BBRW has several on his site currently that are right at the price point and that would be an excellent choice also Boker and of course Ralf Aust but if you are wanting somthing different thats ok to, also possible consider vintage as you can is lots of cases get a better more for your $$ but if your are after new then vintage won't work unless you go for NOS which would again put you over your budget, also consider looking at Matt's wears over at Griffith shave Goods he has lots of new shavers.

If your patient you could find a used custom around that price.....maybe....but i would think that would be a not too fancy one as the cost reduction is relative no matter.

But i can say, personally i have scored a couple but it was always buying another used custom at the same time....kinda one of those "btw i have this one also if your interested".

My suggestion, find an incredible used vintage razor....at your price limit you would be getting gold wash, perhaps some fancy scales and a nice size blade.

Top Bottom