What's new

Newbie with a Slant... Watch out!

Hello All! I'm about a month into wet shaving but I'm cursed with ingrowns/bumps and irritation. In my introductory post a few weeks ago, I gave a little background on my shaving history coming from an electric foil razor because of this irritation. Well, after much research, I decided to purchase a Merkur 37c slant due to my thick neck hair (currently sporting a beard) and sensitive skin in my neck area. My Viking's blade TTO DE razor was very mild and I would have to take several passes in the same area to actually cut any hair regardless of blade angle. My hair kind of lays flat and tries to curl into itself. I'm hoping that by switching to a slant, I can cut hair more efficiently and stop making multiple passes over the same spot.

I've just had my first shave with the slant, and I'm very impressed! No tugging/pulling or nicks, and one pass took 80% of the hair off with no pressure and "riding the cap". I took a second very light easy half pass and got a pretty good shave. I'm hoping this will help with my ingrowns and irritation. I never shave against the grain. Always one pass WTG, then one XTG with a million touch ups with my last razor. But I immediately noticed how much smoother the slant was vs. my Vikings Blade razor and today's shave required no touch ups. My neck never really gets tender or sore, bumps just spring up and seem to stay there for a few days...

Anywho, thanks for reading. I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have to help me beat these ingrowns!

Which slant did you get? I have the PAA bakelite slant and the Merkur 37c and they both do a great job for me.
492783-4ba416be88511fadd78729c2a2f113ae.jpg
492781-79780771abda981bfef799faee17da02.jpg

Last edited:
I failed to mention this, but I have an allergy to aspirin, so treatments such as Tend Skin are out of the question...

What is your post razor routine? Do you use witch hazel and a good quality moisturizer? Both products may help you.

What is your post razor routine? Do you use witch hazel and a good quality moisturizer? Both products may help you.

All I currently use post shave is NIVEA FOR MEN Sensitive Post Shave Balm. I've been reading about people's success with witch hazel, but what brand should I opt for? Thayers?

Compared to the drugstore brands, Thayers is a little pricey. However it contains ingredients in addition to the witch Hazel, like scents, aloe vera, a little alcohol, etc.

According to Walmart's website, my local store has some T.N. Dickinson's Face & Body Witch Hazel Astringent in stock. Dirt cheap too. I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks!

Top Bottom