What's new

Newbie cannot get Wade & Barber sharp

I use Shapton stones, starting with a 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 16000 and 30000.
They were a gift from my son.

I have spent a lot of hours honing trying to get my 1/2 inch WB sharp.
The WB was bought on eBay and was not in great shape.
It has no wobbles and I cleaned it up.

I believe that with all my bevel setting and honing, it still does not have a triangular edge.
When, I look at the razor edge it has a shiny edge all along the blade.
So, I am thinking that I have a micro bevel that is not sharp, I hope this makes sense?
I am beveling the razor from spine to edge but not to a point?

I am thinking to put tape on the spine to verify this on Shapton 500 stone.
I may have to put two layers of tape.

I am not going to move to another stone till it pops hairs with the 500.

If this works then, I am going back to the 500 with the tape removed from the 500, and lap the bejesus out of it. I going to make a toothpick out of it yet.....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You, and Take Care....judgebc ( I am guilty as charged)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
500 might be a tad aggressive. Has it popped hairs after your bevel set?

500 is coarse for a bevel setter. Might come in handy if you have to take out some imperfections, but otherwise...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You may be building a wire edge or fin, synths can do that especially with too much pressure and too many strokes on one side. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference when you're new to honing. I've seen it before with a friend who thought his bevel was not set.

Run a soft tissue or a cotton swab lightly down across the bevel on both sides, you'll usually feel the fin on one side. Try 20-25 of the very lightest strokes, flipping the blade each stroke, then re-examine the edge and see if the sparklies have gotten better.

Cheers, Steve

IMHO whilst learning it is almost always too much pressure ..razors are very fine instruments, allow the hone to do the work you do not need to press or torque the blade, it generally causes the blade to flex with the end result being to miss the very edge, i.e the part you are trying to sharpen, use a loupe or microscope to ensure the scratch pattern goes to the very edge of the blade.

IF you are sighting along the edge and you are seeing a glint of light then you may very well have a flat there, instead of a line or point... too follow your geometry, you may have a truncated triangle.
If the razor was honed on tape before, or freehanded, and you are honing traditionally (no tape, spine and bevel on stone at the same time), then its entirely possible that you have not overcome the existing geometry yet. Yes - it can seem like it takes forever to get there. You may also have a serious case of micro pitting... hard to say without handling the razor, but a few pix might help us here.

Top Bottom