What's new

Newb report

OK after 3 shaves with this thing...I'm all in. Not a single nick or weeper, no blood was drawn. I love the amount of control you get i.e. angle and which part of the blade you use. The control is up to you not the razor. Another one of those things I wish I tried so many years ago...Now to make up for it by spending tons of cash on more stuff. My dad tells me he would have to have 911 on speed dial but I find the opposite to be true. You know the way people talk about kitchen knives...the dull ones will cut you. Just wanted to tell anyone new not to fear this, you can do it. It's not hard just pay attention and take your time. Don't hesitate with the strokes. It's exhilarating!

Awesome, glad it is going well for you. The worst cut I ever got was on my finger while wiping the blade. I couldn't hold a straight razor for a few days because of where the cut was.

Thanks for this ohbrian. I have a Gold Dollar that was bought from and properly honed by Lifes2short and its been sitting in my shave den for the past month and a half. I've just been afraid to do it. Your post gives me renewed motivation to make my first attempt at shaving with a straight. I'm not sure if it is the potential for blood loss or the straight razor acquisition disorder that will follow that I am most afraid of. Either way, I think I'll pull the trigger this week when I have the time and an empty house to try the first shave.

Just do it man :) My best advice would be to just do it when you can set aside enough uninterrupted time to do it properly. If you've watched a few videos and read some of these fine gentlemen's advice then you're all set. Take your time, skin tight, and pay attention to where that blade is.

Thanks for this ohbrian. I have a Gold Dollar that was bought from and properly honed by Lifes2short and its been sitting in my shave den for the past month and a half. I've just been afraid to do it. Your post gives me renewed motivation to make my first attempt at shaving with a straight. I'm not sure if it is the potential for blood loss or the straight razor acquisition disorder that will follow that I am most afraid of. Either way, I think I'll pull the trigger this week when I have the time and an empty house to try the first shave.

Thanks for this post ohbrian! I just received my first SR on Friday (vintage) and I look forward to it. I started with a Parker Shavette SRX to see if I like SR shaving. While I had the same experience as you, I found the shavette difficult to work with. I look forward to the SR because it appears as it would be more forgiving than a shavette and also I will have better control. Congrats on the conversion and here is to many BBS shaves in your future! :)

Top Bottom