What's new

New to this

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this and have a couple of vintage razors that I would like to restore. So I am looking for info on how to go about doing just that. I have 1 that I really want to clean up but it has etching on the blade and do not want to ruin it at all. I would like to have it look nicer than what it is but do not want to sand the etching off of it. Also want to learn how to hone the blades and what I need to get started on that. I will add pics.
$20170130_095214.jpg$20170130_095328.jpg$20170130_095344.jpg$20170130_095423.jpg$20170130_095441.jpg

Last edited:
My advice would be to track down one or two of the cheap chinese razors. "Gold Dollar" and similar. Use _those_ to practice one, and don't touch your nice one until you can get a shaving edge on the junk razors. (They're usually pretty good steel. Just REALLY crappy finished, usually needing a dremel tool to make function correctly)

My advice would be to track down one or two of the cheap chinese razors. "Gold Dollar" and similar. Use _those_ to practice one, and don't touch your nice one until you can get a shaving edge on the junk razors. (They're usually pretty good steel. Just REALLY crappy finished, usually needing a dremel tool to make function correctly)
Thanks just might do that

Thanks just might do that

You're welcome. I haven't been able to put enough time into it to do it right myself - and I'm one hone short. (no 8000 grit)

But, when I'm needing something absolutely no-brained to do, I grab one, one of the stones, and practice the honing process - just making sure you keep the back of the blade down is challenging (even with electrical tape on it)

For honing advice, hop on over the honing boards. You can always try and start with lapping films. You can get started on those for around $30. You can get a really nice edge from them if done properly. There is a great thread about what to get and how to use them on the honing boards. I use synthetic stones, Naniwa Specialty Stones, and I have 5. It was maybe around $240 for the 5 stones and a holder. I have 220, 1,000, 3,000, 8,000, and 12,000. I don't use the 220 grit stone for honing. The other 4 seem to work well for putting an edge on the blade. I typically take it to a balsa strop then leather after the stones. I don't have any experience with natural stones. Those can get expensive, but you may be able to get away with less stones if you know what you are doing.

I wad looking at a couple of videos on YouTube and one guy was showing just too keep the edge up you only need 2 stones. 1 is a shapton that's about 125 or less for the 8000 grit and the other is a imperia la Roca 12k to 15k for about $39. That's all I really need I'm thinking.

I wad looking at a couple of videos on YouTube and one guy was showing just too keep the edge up you only need 2 stones. 1 is a shapton that's about 125 or less for the 8000 grit and the other is a imperia la Roca 12k to 15k for about $39. That's all I really need I'm thinking.
Might be good for a refresh of the blade but 8000 may be pretty high to start for a sharpening. Espescially if the bevel needs to be set.

They all seems to be set I wet my hands and tried them out on em just top see it the would cut any hair. And lo and behold they did but a little rough missed some spots here and there

Last edited:
Now also what I want to do is clean the blades up surface wise. This one mainly
proxy.php
but do not want to hurt the etching on it by sanding it down.

This is just my opinion but it looks like there is a fair amount of pitting on the blade. I don't think there is a way to get rid of the pitting without sanding and that takes off metal which would also affect the engraving.

You could start with Mother's mag polish and see where it goes from there. You would not be wearing the etching away too much and you could see where you are with the pitting and scarring.

I will defer to those who have more experience but I don't think you could get that blade to mirror finish without erasing a lot of that etching.

It's a really cool razor- love that ornate style!

This is just my opinion but it looks like there is a fair amount of pitting on the blade. I don't think there is a way to get rid of the pitting without sanding and that takes off metal which would also affect the engraving.

You could start with Mother's mag polish and see where it goes from there. You would not be wearing the etching away too much and you could see where you are with the pitting and scarring.

I will defer to those who have more experience but I don't think you could get that blade to mirror finish without erasing a lot of that etching.

It's a really cool razor- love that ornate style!
Thanks for your input

Hey Rob, good seeing you today. Got a better look at razor from picture. Think i can do it some good even with the etching. Have had luck restoring some etched ones from ebay. See you in acouple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom