What's new

New Fendrihan Stainless PSA

I just realized I've been procrastinating shaving with my mkI. Maybe a new head would bring it into a more regular rotation.

Below is a response to my query from Fendrihan. The description of the open comb end of the prior version seems consistent with a Sharpologist review of the old razor. Hope this is helpful. Me thinks this will be next order.

Our new stainless steel razor head
(https://www.fendrihan.com/products/fendrihan-full-stainless-steel-closed-comb-safety-razor-head)
is mild and is recommended for expert or beginner shavers. We'd say it
best compares it to the Merkur 34C in terms of aggressiveness
(Merkur 34C HD Double-Edge Safety Razor).

The Rockwell 6S and the Merkur Futur (even on its first setting) are
known to be aggressive. They also tend to be used by the more
experienced wet shaver.

The Fendrihan original Stainless Steel model with open-close comb gives
more of an aggressive shave and works well with coarse beards;
Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless Steel Safety Razor.
We'd say this best compares to the Muhle R41, but is slightly less
aggressive.
It looks like a 34c too.

I have the original OC/SB razor, and I love it. I use the open comb side for the first pass WTG and then use the solid bar side for the second (ATG) and third (XTG) passes. With a good sharp blade, it mows down its victims with smooth precision and almost no blade feel.

The head is cast stainless; the handle is turned stainless. On the head, only the top of the cap is polished. The underside of the cap and the base plate show the casting irregularities like on the Rockwell 6S. But for the price, there's no stainless razor out there that comes close to comparing. And it looks nice.

I ended up with two of them by mistake -- one a Scientist and one an Ambassador. Identical heads on two very similar handles. I was mucking around on the Maggard site and forgot I already had one in my cart when I put the other in. But they weren't expensive, so I haven't gotten around to selling one.

I'm not sure I'd like the solid bar on both sides of the head. I have other razors like that.

I decided to bite the bullet and order the Fendrihan "Adventurer Mk II". A minor complaint, even though you have a choice of three handles, they all are the same length and weight. I would have liked a short handle option, but I guess I shouldn't complain considering the value. I also added a tube of travel size TOBS Rose shaving cream to hit the free shipping, so I look forward to trying that too. I don't have a Merkur 34c, but I do have a 23c I haven't used in some time which should be comparable enough. Lately, I've been enjoying my efficient and smooth Fatip Gentile and I think this stainless Adventurer Mk II may hit that sweet spot that I'm looking for.

For the price, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I don't think I'll regret this purchase.

Did you have a chance to try it yet?

It just shipped out, since it's coming from Canada and I'm in the US, it may take a while. The tracking said the estimated delivery date is March 2nd. I'll try to post pics the same day it arrives. I'll let you know as soon as it's here, promise.

It's made it to MISSISSAUGA, ON thus far, now it's on its way to the US. The plan is to compare the razor to my Fatip Testina Gentile, my current favorite mild feeling razor. Perhaps I'll shave half the face with each to get a good sense of the difference in blade feel and efficiency.

It's made it to MISSISSAUGA, ON thus far, now it's on its way to the US. The plan is to compare the razor to my Fatip Testina Gentile, my current favorite mild feeling razor. Perhaps I'll shave have the face with each to get a good sense of the difference in blade feel and efficiency.

Keep us posted! Have to say the specs on paper look great. But you are definitely giving me a case of Gentile envy.

20170223_224907.jpg
20170223_224709.jpg

She's a thing of beauty. Really grown on me.

It came with that handle, but they have multiple handle options, including gold, nickel, gun metal, and chrome platings in addition to two other wooden handles. It has the same handle as the Fatip Grande if you go for all metal.

Unfortunately, my Fendrihan Adventurer Mk. II probably won't be here until next week. You'll get pics. I'll try it out versus one or two of my razors to see how it compares.

20170227_172344.jpg
20170227_171957.jpg

Arrived earlier than expected. The box was plain, unnoteworthy. It looks like it has similar blade exposure to the Fatip Gentile, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• 20170227_172223.jpg
    20170227_172223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
I have the old head and the closed comb side seemed more aggressive than the open comb side. But I do enjoy it and the comparison to an R41 seems pretty accurate.

I have a scientist MK II on the way and will post reviews when I get it. For $40 I thought it was worth a try. Pretty sure it is going to be a 34c on a handle which are both stainless. Nothing can beat my Timeless but I will give an honest review when I receive it.

I really like the Fendrihan Mk. II razor. Feels very comfortable on the skin, barely feel the blade for much of the shave. A perfect razor for someone that wants to shave everyday. It has a good weight, feels well-balanced in the hand, the handle has good knurling. It is a high quality razor, perhaps not up to ATT standards, but good nonetheless. Completely satisfied with my purchase. It's certainly milder than anything else I use on a regular basis. Gives a nice shave.

Top Bottom