What's new

New Fendrihan Stainless PSA

For those who are interested, Fendrihan has updated the head to its all stainless razor. It now comes with both sides being the standard safety bar & claims to be milder than the original dual-sided incarnation. Looks like the cap may be more polished too:

proxy.php

Not a clue if they are good shavers, but for the price (~50 CND) they are a bargain. I can state that I will NOT be buying mostly because I already have too many razors. I would like to know which stainless steel they are using for that price. If it is 316 stainless then that would be great value.

Edit:
If anyone knows how good they are, I would appreciate it. I have someone in mind that might be interested in a SS razor since he is new to DE (just gave him a some blades and 2 razors to try).

Not a clue if they are good shavers, but for the price (~50 CND) they are a bargain. I can state that I will NOT be buying mostly because I already have too many razors. I would like to know which stainless steel they are using for that price. If it is 316 stainless then that would be great value.

Edit:
If anyone knows how good they are, I would appreciate it. I have someone in mind that might be interested in a SS razor since he is new to DE (just gave him a some blades and 2 razors to try).

I can't address the new head, but the old SS head is quite aggressive & unforgiving. No problem for an experienced shaver, but not really a good choice for a rank newbie.

I think this just came out. I have not tried it yet. I agree that the original was aggressive (most reviews I've read agree too.) The info on the site states that they listened to user feedback and deliberately made this one milder than the original.

As far as the type of steel used, I don't know except to say that it is cast or sintered. On the original, the casting & chroming was not Ikon or Feather quality; but considering the price point, more than acceptable and also substantial/durable in terms of weight and feel.

In addition to the price-point, I think what is really commendable here is that they are offering the head alone and that they listened to their customers.

I think this just came out. I have not tried it yet. I agree that the original was aggressive (most reviews I've read agree too.) The info on the site states that they listened to user feedback and deliberately made this one milder than the original.

As far as the type of steel used, I don't know except to say that it is cast or sintered. On the original, the casting & chroming was not Ikon or Feather quality; but considering the price point, more than acceptable and also substantial/durable in terms of weight and feel.

In addition to the price-point, I think what is really commendable here is that they are offering the head alone and that they listened to their customers.

Good on both counts. OTOH, the new head is $39.95C, the whole razor $49.95C. That extra $10.00C buys one sweet handle.

Good on both counts. OTOH, the new head is $39.95C, the whole razor $49.95C. That extra $10.00C buys one sweet handle.

. . . or the old version is $34.95. New head is $29.95. Seems really tempting assuming old head can be used comfortably and new head hits the sweet spot for aggressiveness. It would be great if someone could weigh in with the settings on a Futur or a Progress to which the new head and the closed comb end of the old head would compare (or how they would compare to a 34c). And also how the open comb end of the old head compares with an R41 or Fatip.

Below is a response to my query from Fendrihan. The description of the open comb end of the prior version seems consistent with a Sharpologist review of the old razor. Hope this is helpful. Me thinks this will be next order.

Our new stainless steel razor head
(https://www.fendrihan.com/products/fendrihan-full-stainless-steel-closed-comb-safety-razor-head)
is mild and is recommended for expert or beginner shavers. We'd say it
best compares it to the Merkur 34C in terms of aggressiveness
(Merkur 34C HD Double-Edge Safety Razor).

The Rockwell 6S and the Merkur Futur (even on its first setting) are
known to be aggressive. They also tend to be used by the more
experienced wet shaver.

The Fendrihan original Stainless Steel model with open-close comb gives
more of an aggressive shave and works well with coarse beards;
Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless Steel Safety Razor.
We'd say this best compares to the Muhle R41, but is slightly less
aggressive.

Below is a response to my query from Fendrihan.
[snip]
The Fendrihan original Stainless Steel model with open-close comb gives
more of an aggressive shave and works well with coarse beards;
Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless Steel Safety Razor.
We'd say this best compares to the Muhle R41, but is slightly less
aggressive.​
I have one or those "open-close comb" razors. Fendrihan says the open comb side is more aggressive than the guard bar side, but I'd say they are almost the same. Compared to a Gillette Slim, maybe something like the 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 settings.
I've never tried a Muhle R41 though.

I have one or those "open-close comb" razors. Fendrihan says the open comb side is more aggressive than the guard bar side, but I'd say they are almost the same. Compared to a Gillette Slim, maybe something like the 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 settings.
I've never tried a Muhle R41 though.

Thanks John. Note that Fendrihan did not describe the closed bar side on the old razor in their communication with me. Sharpologist liked the open comb side on the old razor but seemed to find the closed end more harsh than aggressive. I will pass on the old razor and consider the new one.

Cheers!

$200+ for shipping for the head to the UK...

Might be one of the worst deals I have come across for a while....

Oh well. To the States it's US$10, or free shipping if you add another $10 on; like getting a free sample pack of razors.

Would really like to hear from someone who has used the razor. It's not a lot of money, but I am not a fan of razors collecting dust, even if they are both inexpensive and stainless.

I decided to bite the bullet and order the Fendrihan "Adventurer Mk II". A minor complaint, even though you have a choice of three handles, they all are the same length and weight. I would have liked a short handle option, but I guess I shouldn't complain considering the value. I also added a tube of travel size TOBS Rose shaving cream to hit the free shipping, so I look forward to trying that too. I don't have a Merkur 34c, but I do have a 23c I haven't used in some time which should be comparable enough. Lately, I've been enjoying my efficient and smooth Fatip Gentile and I think this stainless Adventurer Mk II may hit that sweet spot that I'm looking for.

For the price, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I don't think I'll regret this purchase.

Top Bottom