What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

Hmm, sounds kinda promising. Thanks for posting that. One thing that annoys me about the Tech (and the Slim is somewhat the same) is that you have to really find the "sweet spot". I never really had that issue with a Merkur/EJ head though. Is the Feather like that?

Is the head of the new razor cast or machined from bar stock?

Not certain but my guess is machined. I'll post pics soon.

Hmm, sounds kinda promising. Thanks for posting that. One thing that annoys me about the Tech (and the Slim is somewhat the same) is that you have to really find the "sweet spot". I never really had that issue with a Merkur/EJ head though. Is the Feather like that?

I intentionally followed the same method I use with my everyday razors (Bob's Bull Mastiff Standard/XL w/New or New Deluxe heads or British Aristocrats) and to my surprise, no adjustment was necessary. After I use it a few more times, I'll be able to evaluate it for quality of shave as compared to my daily "standard" but so far, I think this razor is capable of great shaves.

$150 for a stainless razor - there is no way the price is any way reflective of the costs to design or manufacture this product. There is absolutely nothing novel in terms of its design and stainless steel isn't overly hard to work with or particularly expensive.

Seriously, i don't get why a company thinks people will buy a razor for $150 when a $40 razor will shave just as well (and possibly better).

While the pils razors sell for around $300, at least the company tried to come up with an innovative design, as opposed to ripping of a tech.

+1

Well, I've used mine twice now!

Certainly a beautifully made instrument.

Mild - yes; but that is a bit of a deceptive term, because it is cutting effectively even when you don't feel that it is!

I'm used to Merkur fixed head razors (like the Barberpole and HD) and this thing has a different "sweet spot".

I have gotten two close, comfortable shaves (although I used a bit too much pressure on day one, seduced by the smooth action of this razor).

I naturally have employed a Feather blade; it seemed disloyal to the manufacturer to do otherwise. Next week I'll try one of my "usual" blades (Wilkinson Sword or Bic) and see how they perform in it.

At this stage I'm not convinced it will replace my Merkur for daily shaving, but it is a beautiful piece of workmanship, and I don't think $150 is too much for something so durable and attractive.

I'll post further in a few days.

Cheers, guys

M

Mateo

I have been wanting an all stainless razor since I started wet shaving. I would be interested in seeing some user photos of this razor and reading some razor comparisons. I am hoping that it turns out to be an aggressive razor.

I tried my Feather Portable head with a Merkur 1904 handle (a little heavier than other handles) with a Feather blade and the combo is more aggressive than a regular Tech. If the new Feather razor has the same head geometry as the Porable version it should make a fine razor.

The price tag doesn't need justification, just needs need people to pay it.

For those that have used this and the Pils, are they different experiences?

I'd love to see some photos/comparisons/reviews too. When I hear "mild" I automatically think it means "BBS is very difficult and only possible with lots of touch ups." But stainless steel is a huge draw.

Hopefully the reviews are coming soon.

"BBS is very difficult and only possible with lots of touch ups."

I'm still evaluating it. It is better than that, but it has been designed to make it pretty foolproof for an inexperienced shaver.

Up to shave 4; have changed to a Wilkinson blade.

Some photos of mine. My full review to follow.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Wow that thing is gorgeous. Head geometry makes it looks like it holds a bl;ade differently than a Tech/NEW.

Wonderful photos. Thank you.

I'm no razor expert, but it seems that the flat base plate on the head is somewhat reminiscent of older (more aggressive) Techs. Is that correct?

Top Bottom