What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

My thoughts for what there worth...........

I have the Futur, absolutely love it. BBS every day I use it, and this is at a setting on "1". I don't use any other settings. Big? Yes, but no so much as to cause any issues. The weight is excellent. No experience with the Feather.

My final thought would be that since both show up on the B/S/T forum quite a bit, buy both and see which you prefer. Then sell the other. Only REAL way you will ever make a definitive determination about which one you prefer. All us B&B members do is pile on which one we prefer.........

The weight and balance were nice, that probably what makes it so smooth I likened the experience to a fine fountain pen, the words were not any more scholarly,the handwriting was not improved but it did write easier... I have a affliction, I like nice things, N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> Cameras, bamboo fly rods, Tibor reels etc. The new feather fits into this scenario, I like it and it will probably be my daily razor, why not.

You know I bet you would love the Nakaya Fountain Pen, a Piccolo in Kuro-tamenuri urushi.

the box for that pen looks almost identical to the Feather box. Plus I really like the look of that pen. gonna have to do some research.

A Nakaya is one of the most beautifully, sublime pens you will ever own. If you order from their web site you have to fill out an entire page of questions about yourself and how you write. A truly unique purchasing experience.

I received my razor today. I will shave with it tomorrow morning. I am very impressed with the packaging, heft, and finish on the razor. Frankly, it blows the PILS away. The knurling is well executed, the fit of the pieces is exact and there is zero play in the razor. The packaging is first rate and it included 5 Feather blades. All in all, this round is definitely going to the Feather.

PILS should take note, at twice the price, they need to up their game on fit and finish if they want to compete.

I gave the Feather a spin this morning. I used one of the Feather blades that came with the razor. After my 3 pass shave, I had a DFS with zero irritation and no nicks. This razor is very mild and will require some work to get a BBS.

More to come.

Experiment with the angle a little bit, you may find that what you are used to is not the ideal angle for this razor.

Yep, I will definitely continue to watch the angle. That is always the fun of a new razor, don't you think?

I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve. The first is to go more ATG in the last pass. I normally go WTG, XTG, XTG to get BBS. Second, is to stretch the skin on the last pass. The last is to open up the razor a bit like I do with the NEW.

The bottom line is that the razor is working well, but I think I can tweak it to get where I want.

Yep, I will definitely continue to watch the angle. That is always the fun of a new razor, don't you think?

I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve. The first is to go more ATG in the last pass. I normally go WTG, XTG, XTG to get BBS. Second, is to stretch the skin on the last pass. The last is to open up the razor a bit like I do with the NEW.

The bottom line is that the razor is working well, but I think I can tweak it to get where I want.

I am still working the angles on this razor. I got a better shave this time around, but I still have some work to do. Overall, I like it and I think I can squeeze some more performance from it. It almost reminds me of the NEW when I first tried it.

I am still working the angles on this razor. I got a better shave this time around, but I still have some work to do. Overall, I like it and I think I can squeeze some more performance from it. It almost reminds me of the NEW when I first tried it.

BBS this morning. I used a combo of skin stretching and opening the razor 1/8th of a turn on the last pass. Unfortunately it opened up a bit more on the remaining passes. The NEW doesn't do this, but the Feather will. No blood or cuts, but too much risk. I will stick to stretching and a bit of blade buffing in the trouble spots.

Overall, after 3 shaves I can rate this vs. the PILS as such.

Fit and Finish: Feather
Performance: PILS

Winner: Feather

While the PILS is easier to get a BBS shave with, the standard shave of the Feather is very good and it is not rocket science to get a BBS out of the Feather. The price difference and the disparity between fit and finish puts the Feather as the clear winner. I would recommend this razor for someone who has already mastered the HD or EJ/Muhle 89 razor. You need to have some small skill to get the BBS from this one. Keep in mind the standard shave is quite nice as well.

After spending that kind of cash on it, it better perform better than I expect it to otherwise you would hear about it, I would have no problem calling it an overpriced tool that over-promises and under-delivers. But I love mine, it was love at first shave. It would have been posted on BST long time ago otherwise.

That's the most rediculous thing I ever did hear. The fact is the more you pay the more you expect and tend to be more critical of a higher priced item than a cheap item you would give a pass to.

According to you every expensive item produced will never get a bad review and that's simply not true.

The reason you haven't seen a bad reviw of one is because it's a great item. I have one.

While I expected it to be perfect from the very first run, it took me a full 4 shaves to truly get acquainted with the feather all stainless. I posted a list of favorite razors after just a couple of runs with this. I ranked it fourth of about 8 razors. Now it's in a tie for first place and perhaps about to overtake my #1 Hoffritz slant. The weight, perfection of design, beauty, and delivery of four almost-BBS shaves (yes, I know it's still early) has made an impression of this being an incredible tool... something that i now marvel at and can't wait to use again and again!!

I received my razor today. I will shave with it tomorrow morning. I am very impressed with the packaging, heft, and finish on the razor. Frankly, it blows the PILS away. The knurling is well executed, the fit of the pieces is exact and there is zero play in the razor. The packaging is first rate and it included 5 Feather blades. All in all, this round is definitely going to the Feather.

PILS should take note, at twice the price, they need to up their game on fit and finish if they want to compete.

Not being one for such hyperbole, but you either paid too much for the Pils or way below market for the Feather.. :blink:
The Feather $$ is a fine razor, especially if you do not have a wiry beard. The Pils $$, on the other hand, is capable of easily shearing even the wiriest of beards and doing so without irritation in the hands of a competent shaver.
As far as your round scoring, it's the old YMMV..

I now have three razors in a rotation (I still hate that I have a "rotation"): A Pils stainless, a Merkur Futur, and again the Feather All Stainless. They all do things a bit differently. And, I'm glad I have all three of them to choose from.
What happened to being a minimalist? :laugh:

I've been looking for one of these and noticed that is selling at $ 180 at popular sites... I thought these were supposed to be around $ 150?

Anyone knows what's going on here?

I used mine today...what a great razor.

I used witha fresh feather and it really does feels like a $150 dollar razor.

Definetly more aggressive than the EJ Chatsworth, Mhule/EJ R89..So far, I'm pleased

Top Bottom