What's new

New espresso machine

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Santa brought me a new DeLonghi EC680M and it seems to work quite well for a 'budget' machine.

We have really hard water here so I always used distilled water in my previous Krups model. Never had to really worry about de-scaling.

Any tips on how to get the most out of it?

Thanks

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like the small footprint, if it is the one I am thinking of, and the price is nice. I am, however, quite spoiled by my Delonghi Magnifica super automatic. If you are okay with a manual machine, that one should serve you well.

Follow the manuals suggestions for descaling. With hard water you will probably do this about twice a month. There should be some pH test strips with the manual. Using the manufacturers recommended descaler is just the correct thing to do. OTOH, I have always used vinegar, with no negative issues so YMMV. If you usecdistilled water, you should still descale every 2 or 3 months. It wouldn't seem so, but it does make a difference after a couple of years.

With a manual machine, I like to have a spare portafilter. You can get the second one ready to rock while you pull a shot from the first one. I assume you already have a good grinder... This is rather important. Try different grinder settings and tamping pressure and find what gives you the results you like best. After frothing milk always blow a little steam out the nozzle to clear it, and carefully twirl a toothpick in it (be careful not to break off a piece in it!) Because cooked milk partially blocking the frothing wand obviously impairs its effectiveness. If a removable nozzle is included, don't assume it is needed. The steam tube should already have an orifice threaded onto it, looking sort of like a cap nut. You may have to tip your pitcher or mug to get the tip in contact with the surface of the milk, but I often find that an external nozzle actually impairs frothing but YMMV.

Some folks regularly soak their wand in a mug of hot water and that really helps to keep it clean.

Enjoy your new machine. Use it often. Keep it clean. It should serve you well for many years.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. I'm still waiting for my Mr Coffee grinder to wear out so I can replace it but even after 5 yrs of daily use, it won't quit!

Never really got into cappuccino or lattes, just strong Americanos.

Tweaking and tuning is half the fun.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
A week later and quite a few double-shots of espresso and I am loving this machine.

I went for it over the holidays and bought my wife a DeLonghi Nespresso Lattissima Pro Espresso Maker for Christmas. I thought I would be a hero since she loves these machines, but her reaction has been underwhelming and I was kind of bummed. For years she has told me how much she likes Nespresso machines and how much she enjoys the coffee from our friends' machines. I figured how could I go wrong buying the top of the line model?

She complains that the cup size is small and the temperature is kind of on the low side. She likes it hotter and is not sure she really wants the machine - especially for the price. She puts her cups in the microwave to heat them up. So much for the grand slam gift! I think it works great, but I also like my Mr. Coffee (not too picky) and this is her baby. Oh well... sometimes you just can't win.
Steve

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I went for it over the holidays and bought my wife a DeLonghi Nespresso Lattissima Pro Espresso Maker for Christmas. I thought I would be a hero since she loves these machines, but her reaction has been underwhelming and I was kind of bummed. For years she has told me how much she likes Nespresso machines and how much she enjoys the coffee from our friends' machines. I figured how could I go wrong buying the top of the line model?

She complains that the cup size is small and the temperature is kind of on the low side. She likes it hotter and is not sure she really wants the machine - especially for the price. She puts her cups in the microwave to heat them up. So much for the grand slam gift! I think it works great, but I also like my Mr. Coffee (not too picky) and this is her baby. Oh well... sometimes you just can't win.
Steve

There is a setting on mine to crank the temp up that I had to use.

When I first got my machine I was disappointed with the temperature of the coffee. Called their customer service people and was told to run 2/3 cups of hot water at the largest volume setting before making the first cup of coffee. This gets the temp up to where it should be when you make the coffee. If it sits for a while before the next cup, I would repeat the process.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
When I first got my machine I was disappointed with the temperature of the coffee. Called their customer service people and was told to run 2/3 cups of hot water at the largest volume setting before making the first cup of coffee. This gets the temp up to where it should be when you make the coffee. If it sits for a while before the next cup, I would repeat the process.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Top Bottom