What's new

Never again!

When I made the switch to DE/SE shaving I also switched to cold water shaving as well. Today I decided to try a hot water shave and my neck light up like a Christmas tree. I had forgotten just how bad a bad shave could feel, my neck is still on fire and it's been hours since I shaved.

I'll never again try a hot water shave.

:eek2:

Indeed. I started with hot, and have shaved cold twice now and never going back.F
Far less irritation & bleeding and just as good a shave.

Color me a "Skeptic turned advocate"
To all those who's cold-water-shaving advice I pooh-poohed I devoutly apologize and bow before thee !!!

-- Nick

Are you prepping with hot water or with cold?
I switched to everything cold, and for me it's working really really well.
- No shower
- Lather with cold water from the tap (Seattle area so pretty cold water)
- Shave and rinse with cold water (from tap)
- Little bit of aftershave

I apply a little of the "shave secret" oil into the lather but now I am not even sure if that is needed or not.
I have a very dense, coarse and thick fast-growing beard and sensitive skin.

Very very unexpected results for me.
-- Nick

I wear (bow) ties on Sunday morning. I'm hoping to be able to shave early Sunday and toss on a tie.

Just a thought...I have a thick, curly, slow growing beard and find cold water works better for me. Anyone else with this kind of a beard that finds cold water better then warm or hot?

I've seen shea butter shave cream marketed for black folk and wondered if that would work better for my sensitive skin. Any thoughts?

View attachment 234112

That stuff is TERRIBLE. And the scent is beyond strange.

If you're looking for Shea butter, the new proraso red has it. It's available for about $12 shipped on the Bay. I'm sure there are other creams with it too, but none presently coming to mind.

i had the opposite experience too. i've always done hot water shaves, and when i tried a cold water shave, my skin was sticky, the blade was tugging, everything was just awful

Recently, I've been doing a hot prep (shower) and cold/cool water shave. I think I get a better shave overall. Of course, the wind could shift next week and I'll decide to go the other way.:)

Tried the cold water shaving thing last week. Used to shave with cold water when I was younger, before DE, so I thought it might work well.. Seems my face doesn't like it much these days, think I'll be sticking with the warm water. Got several nicks (these days it's rare for me to even feel my Alt Innsbruck AS I get so little irritation) and my face felt strange after.

Top Bottom