What's new

NATO straps

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I bought a Timex expedition watch a few years back. It came with a leather band that lasted a while. I'm into gardening, hiking, and other stuff that pretty much leads to early demise for leather for a daily wear watch.

I replaced the band on the Timex with a Nato band. Somehow I purchased four for a very low price. I just installed a second . . . and scrubbed down the first an now that too looks as good as new.

Anybody else love these straps?

$Nato Strap.jpg

Nice watch. I like the NATO straps for active watches. Light and breathable, never come loose, and easy to clean.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had a canvas NATO-like strap on my Seiko 5. What is the deal with the extra buckles on the real thing?

My first and only experience with nato straps is with my Vostok Amphibia and I have to say I have been enjoying it so much I will more than likely get one to go with my Samsung Gear S2

I like these straps as well. Have many different colors to suit my mood. It's much cheaper than buying more watches. :001_smile

I had a canvas NATO-like strap on my Seiko 5. What is the deal with the extra buckles on the real thing?
One buckle is where the long end of the strap is feed back through the shorter strap (the shorter strap sits underneath the watch case). The other buckle is to accommodate the extra length of strap. Authentic straps are designed so that your watch can worn over your coat or outer most layer of clothing. Thus have a long tail which must be folded back back upon itself when worn normally indoors as otherwise it will wrap back over the top of your watch face. I have a few very cheap ones from ebay that are not long enough to wear over a jacket but work well for normal usage.

[MENTION=36529]oc_in_fw[/MENTION], you well know about the Omega Speedmaster and its journeys into space. This thread made me wonder if NATO straps had been used with the spacesuits. But looks like those were just long Velcro straps, which makes sense when considering the gloves and restricted movement the astronauts were under.
proxy.php

proxy.php
I looked for a vintage photo of someone wearing a NATO over clothing and could not find one. Just a few modern day examples of people outdoors, so it seems these are more fashion that function.
proxy.php

I've got one watch that sports a couple NATO straps. they're ok to me, better than a plastic/rubber straps for comfort. but I prefer steel bracelets. and back when it mattered, a diver's steel bracelet was perfect for wearing over my flight gloves. I just didn't wear that watch everywhere I went.

I haven't owned true NATO yet, however the Velcro Zulu type I get at a local dive shop are
are great. When they get a bit nasty I just toss em in the bin. Couple of true Natos/Zulus are in
order for my birthday.(I hope).(better yet a Speedmaster would be nice).

I wash mine at the sink with a scrubby brush (toothbrush sized) and dish soap. they do get a touch funky with sweat in the summer and with showers.

For a cleaner look: rather than fold the nato strap excess back over in the buckle, you can cut it right at the fold crease and melt the frayed nylon with a lighter.

I've been using some for years on Seiko SKX031. Easy to change the straps out depending your mood, mostly stick with the black and grey like yours.

Top Bottom