What's new

Nasty weather boots

I've had a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters for about five years. In those five years I wore them daily in a machine shop for 3 years and they've been regulated to my "nasty" weather boots trudging through mud and water and snow etc etc they've just about wore out. The soles are 90% smooth, very little tread left, and in the left boot there's a small hole down to the steel toe.

I'm looking to replace them. I want pull ons (10"-12", about mid calf is where these stopped) doesn't have to be steel/composite toe. Obviously waterproof and what not.

Don't really have a price range but I don't want to spend $500 on a pair of danners, on the other hand I don't want to spend $50 on some Walmart offering and have them wear out in a couple months

Whatcha got?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Bought some really nice Danners for about $280. You can re craft them, so its not like your going to be throwing them away.

I've had/have all kinds of workboots, with uses from working in the woods timber cutting and drilling, to walking high iron, to building/repairing/maintaining industrial locations. For my nasty weather boot, I've found these to be excellent in most any condition. A little taller than you specified, but just a suggestion. They are made by Cofra and average $115 to $120.

$00040CU3-2.jpg

Have you ever looked at LLBean? Their Bean Boots are great, can't beat the satisfaction guarantee, and they are re-solable

I thought you could get a free resole from redwing? Muck boots are great. My dad likes his Carolinas and I like my Thorogood and my Ariats

I thought you could get a free resole from redwing? Muck boots are great. My dad likes his Carolinas and I like my Thorogood and my Ariats

You can get them resolved IF the hard plastic "midsole" isn't cracked. The last the first thing that went on mine. I sent emails with pictures and they told me nicely I'm SOL

I have the Mucks "Wetlands" and they are solid boots for muck and snow.

Which Irish Setters do you have? I have Wingshooter 807's. They're great for the woods and some mud, be I don't find them great snow boots.

Last edited:
I stand by my bean boots. Have the 6" and 8" with Goretex lining.

I know from a look and feel standpoint you need to like them (which I do). Not for everyone though.

I stand by my bean boots. Have the 6" and 8" with Goretex lining.

I know from a look and feel standpoint you need to like them (which I do). Not for everyone though.

Duck Boots are definitely the "Marmite" of the boot world - and my ones are definitely ugly, but I love them - worth every cent of the €26,99 I paid in Aldi
Warm, comfortable, waterproof, soles that grip like glue even on a wet marble floor - and surprisingly lightweight too
attachment.php

Removable inner lining is useful for "defunking"
attachment.php

Adding some lighter coloured laces adds a touch of style to the boots
$20170201_205734.jpg

I'm hooked on Duck Boots
And if I ever need to buy another pair.............
My next ones will probably be either L.L. Bean or Sorel boots

if youre looking for pull on's I highly recommend looking at Wolverine boots. They have a number of wellington boots that are very comfortable, waterproof and durable. Ive had mine for about two years now. I wear them almost every other day and they still feel like im walking on pillows. Mine are composite toe.

Top Bottom