What's new

Name your Swill Beer

I was feeling a bit hot so I asked my wife to go on an expedition to find me some "swill" along with some Pilsner Urquell (not a swill in my book). We finally settled for Miller High Life and I am about to throw up due to the high doses of DMS and diacetyl in it. I think that Miller MGD is a much better beer. Next time I am hot what swill should I try?

Al raz.

Rheingold. Blatz. Schaefer ("The One Beer to Have When You're Having More Than One" Quite possibly the best slogan EVER)

If I had to buy truly "cheap" beer, it would probably be PBR. Keystone Light would be next.

I've had Rheingold and Old Milwaukee in bottles and I liked them as well. I just haven't seen them in a store in ages. Especially not down in the DC area. I had those two back when I lived in Upstate NY.

Which brings me to two others we would drink in college in Upstate NY: Genesee Cream Ale and Golden Anniversary.

Busch, Natural, and Milwaukee's Best are basically undrinkable for me. I had my fill of those awful swills in college. Its why we started drinking Golden Anniversary, at least it was the cheapest.

These days though, I might drink 3-4 beers in a weekend, so I just get the good stuff and could probably afford to keep doing so even if I had to cut back spending on "other" stuff. I just don't consume a lot. For me, I find myself grabbing Sam Adams Summer Ale when it the temperatures are in the 90s.

It is amazing to me how many times I ask for a beer at a resteraunt and they only have Bud and Miller products. It is rare to get served PBR at a chain resteraunt, it has been my go to beer ever since Falstaff was discontinued.

I am waiting for the return of Falstaff.

One thing I noticed is that some of the beers mentioned in this thread, like Schlitz (in bottles) or Narragansett, sell for prices close to Pilsner Urquell. This has seriously obstructed my sampling...

Al raz.

PBR is OK when it is one tenth of a degree from freezing otherwise it tastes like cream corn juice mixed with Perrier.

I've tried the new/old Schlitz and it needs to be freezing also. Seems like all the swill needs to be ice cold or the nasty corn flavor comes through.

For great corn taste, try Miller High Life...:001_smile I have a pretty low threshold for DMS.

Al raz.

For great corn taste, try Miller High Life...:001_smile I have a pretty low threshold for DMS.

Al raz.

That is funny to me because of all the swill MHL tastes O.K. What the heck is DMS or am I better off not knowing?

YUCK!

Dimethyl Sulfide
Description: Tastes and smells of cooked vegetables/corn/cabbage or shellfish/seafood. Is acceptable in light lagers to a degree.

Cause: Bacterial infection can cause DMS, as well as covering up your brewpot during the boil. DMS is removed from the wort during the boil, so covering it up is obviously going to cause the DMS-laced condensation to fall back into your brewpot.

Remedy: Keep good sanitation procedures, and make sure to keep a rolling, uncovered boil when brewing. Do not cover your brewpot during the boil!

Last edited:
DMS = dimethyl sulfide and it is formed by of the decomposition of s-methylmethionine driven by heat.

Wow, your perception is AMAZING!!!! I thought that you were another beer snob but I realized that you just have a good sense of smell, congrats!!! A lot of beers, can have very relatively high levels of DMS, which smells like sweet corn at "low" perceptible levels and then turns to cabagge. In any case, the smell is described as "vegetal". DMS is also fairly common among swills because they are brewed with adjucts with corn being an important one.

You are probably right and it was better not to ask... :wink2:

Al raz.

That is funny to me because of all the swill MHL tastes O.K. What the heck is DMS or am I better off not knowing?

Sadly most of the beer here is swill. The local beer is Tiger and it has the highest amount of chemical muck in it I have ever encountered. I can drink quite a respectable amount of most beers and not have any ill-effects the next day, but any more than 2 or 3 Tigers and I have a really bad headache next day. We were at a friend's place last night and all they had was bloody Tiger(!) Luckily I had had a few Heinekens in the pub before I went so only had to have a couple of Tigers before switching to the wines!

Some places occasionally sell British beers, but I have had some really duff bottles, poorly shipped possibly, plus they are very expensive even by Singapore standards so I tend to stick with Heineken - it's not great but it's fairly consistent.

Here in Auz a lot of people swear by Crown Lager, a supposed "premium" beer. Personally I find it gives me a headache before I can even finish one bottle. Not just a but of one, either, a raging, pounding headache. Fosters Lager, though (which I suspect is what they "purify" to make Crown Lager), is little more than paint stripper/degreasing fluid and is widely considered out prank on the world. Sorry about that, it was mean.

I thought that Vi Bi was the way to go in AU

Al raz.

Here in Auz a lot of people swear by Crown Lager, a supposed "premium" beer. Personally I find it gives me a headache before I can even finish one bottle. Not just a but of one, either, a raging, pounding headache. Fosters Lager, though (which I suspect is what they "purify" to make Crown Lager), is little more than paint stripper/degreasing fluid and is widely considered out prank on the world. Sorry about that, it was mean.

Since I am kinda of on a diet, I have started drinking Michelob Ultra - 2.6 grams carbs, 95 calories and 4.2 % alc/volume! This is a good alcohol content for the calories, IMO.
I'll be glad when my diet is over so I can start back drinking Guinness Stout again....sigh
I can buy Guinness Stout for 6.99/ 6 pack where I live and have to walk buy it to pay 5.69/6 pack for Michelob Ultra..... That's a hard thing to do.

Since I am kinda of on a diet, I have started drinking Michelob Ultra - 2.6 grams carbs, 95 calories and 4.2 % alc/volume! This is a good alcohol content for the calories, IMO.
I'll be glad when my diet is over so I can start back drinking Guinness Stout again....sigh
I can buy Guinness Stout for 6.99/ 6 pack where I live and have to walk buy it to pay 5.69/6 pack for Michelob Ultra..... That's a hard thing to do.

Is it really worth saving a mere 30 calories to skip something you really enjoy? Guinness out of the bottle is only 126 cal! See http://www.beer100.com/beercaloriesimports.htm

Headache is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw all of those cheap American lagers. I won't drink them anymore, either, no matter how cold. If I'm going for something light on a hot day it is Corona or Caribe. No headache and goes down easy.

I'm responding to the last post on page 1. Be interesting to read the last 3 pages...

ADD: I saw Yeungling mentioned. I have that and Estrella (not as cheap as in Barcelona, though) in the garage fridge and will reach for one of those when working outside on a hot one, too.

Last edited:
In college, when you were looking for cheap swill, it was the suitcase of Schaefer... "it's safer with Schaefer" was the motto.

I avoid swill beer now, and find that a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or an IPA is perfectly acceptable for drinking while mowing the lawn (when I can't talk my daughter into doing it) or other yardwork.

Top Bottom