What's new

Name your Swill Beer

I guess it depends. Are you looking for a Pilsner, or a CHEAP beer? If you are looking for a nice refreshing Pilsner, look no further than Victory's Prima Pils. IMO, its one of the best German Pils you can buy in the US. Chill these down and its just (if not more) refreshing than PBR or any other swill beer. If you are looking for cheap beer, it really doesn't matter IMO. Its all pretty much the same.

Miller Lite is my swill beer currently. Decades ago it was Coors Light and PBR. I may have to revisit a PBR they were always pretty good on a hot summer day. What's this about them not made in MKE anymore?

I am very happy to see that so many people here are as snobbish as I am when it comes to beer. I would say though that when it is 43C out, I do not crave barleywines... You guys have show me a lot of integrity and you should be commended for that :001_smile

On a different note, I made another trip to the store and bought a 6er of PBR. I am much happier with that selection, much better and cleaner beer than MHL, yuck!!!! My plan is to explore this issue seriously during this summer, if I can. I think that I will for for "the beer that made a certain city famous" next :wink2: How about Rotten Rock?

Al raz.

I'm recently discovered "Old Milwaukee" and it seems to be the only cheap beer I ever liked. When I was much younger I used to drink whatever came in a 40oz.

As a youngster, any beer would do. But, I came to realize that life is too short to drink bad beer.

We have a local beer called Abita. It has a dozen incarnations, and is about as low end as I like to get. I'd rather drink water if I can't get something decent.

A six pack of Abita goes for about $12 by me! The same local bodega runs a perpetual special of $3.75 for a sixer of Coors Original. I think the Coors is kind of tasty when ice cold.

On a different note, I made another trip to the store and bought a 6er of PBR. I am much happier with that selection, much better and cleaner beer than MHL, yuck!!!! My plan is to explore this issue seriously during this summer, if I can. I think that I will for for "the beer that made a certain city famous" next :wink2: How about Rotten Rock?

If you're talking about Rolling Rock, be aware that it's no longer brewed in it's home city of Latrobe, PA. RR was bought out by Anheuser-Busch in 2006, they shut down the Latrobe brewery, and moved production to New Jersey.

Never having been a fan of Rolling Rock, it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but there were (are?) a lot of pissed-off RR fans around here when that happened.

Oh yeah, I missed a few posts yesterday, I may have been researching :wink2:. I love PP, excellent German pils, in the same class as Old Dominion Tupper’s Hop Pocket Pils or Broklyn Pilsner but it is not swill in my book. The PP has a hop wallop (not to be confused with the beer named Hop Wallop). I love Victory beers, especially Old Horizontal and Storm King but they are ALL excellent.

Al raz.

I guess it depends. Are you looking for a Pilsner, or a CHEAP beer? If you are looking for a nice refreshing Pilsner, look no further than Victory's Prima Pils. IMO, its one of the best German Pils you can buy in the US. Chill these down and its just (if not more) refreshing than PBR or any other swill beer. If you are looking for cheap beer, it really doesn't matter IMO. Its all pretty much the same.

If Canadian, Kokanee.
If they still make Schaefer, that's about as good and swill as you can get! It stopped drinking it in college, and have been a beer snob ever since.

As a twentysomething who has spent time in Richmond, the only acceptable answer for me would be PBR! It is the People's Beer of Richmond, of course.

I am not snobish about many things in this world but beer is one of them. I enjoy beers much as I do fine wines, great malts, bourbon and cognac. I like the complexities that a good beer has. If I am in a pinch then Sam Adams is about as swilly as it gets for me. Bud, Miller, PBR just doesn't do it for me. I'd sooner drink water.

+1 except my wife thinks I'm snobbish about many things from beer to cars to gin to food to shave soap to whiskey. If it ain't Belgian or a fat American microbrew, I'm not much interested.

Top Bottom