What's new

Name your Swill Beer

Personally, if I can't have a decent beer, I's rather have a soft drink or coffee. If I had to choose anything as swill, I'd go for canned Boddington's, Bass, John Smith's, Guinness and just about anything that has advertised on TV!

Gareth

Personally, if I can't have a decent beer, I's rather have a soft drink or coffee. If I had to choose anything as swill, I'd go for canned Boddington's, Bass, John Smith's, Guinness and just about anything that has advertised on TV!

Gareth

+1! Nothing funnier than asking the waitress what kind of beer they serve, and then after the long list of swill I order a seltzer with lemon... I'd rather not drink a beer just to drink it. I like to enjoy it!

Bitburger... that stuff is cheap as dirt and tastes about as crisp and clean... But anything mainstream "merican" is just as bad IMO.

+1 to Schlitz (always a favorite session beer for me...) and PBR. I also like Old Style, though I don't see it very often down here in the south, and I probably give it more props than it deserves because of downing a few in the stands at Wrigley. Environment does affect taste, apparently.

Pabst...Blue...Ribbon!

$Blue-Velvet.jpg

I am not snobish about many things in this world but beer is one of them. I enjoy beers much as I do fine wines, great malts, bourbon and cognac. I like the complexities that a good beer has. If I am in a pinch then Sam Adams is about as swilly as it gets for me. Bud, Miller, PBR just doesn't do it for me. I'd sooner drink water.

Squeeze some lime over ice cubes, add some salt, shake a little, and pour a whole Corona.

Best swill you will find, tastes great, and the salt rehydrates you better than that crap americans call beer.

proxy.php

Yuengling Lager (Brewed in Pottsville, PA; primarily distributed in the Mid-Atlantic region, but expanding.) Very reasonably priced and the best "mass market" beer I've found.

wait,, what? are we naming good or bad beers?
or cheap beer that we happen to like? or beers that we like that are rare, or hard to find?

who remembers altas? who here is trying to forget altas?
free beer is the best beer! i hear its free tomorrow..

As a youngster, any beer would do. But, I came to realize that life is too short to drink bad beer.

We have a local beer called Abita. It has a dozen incarnations, and is about as low end as I like to get. I'd rather drink water if I can't get something decent.

Legion

Staff member
One I'm enjoying right now is called Henninger. It's a cheap German beer that tastes a bit like Heineken, but is a lot less expensive. You can get it in one supermarket chain here. It's fine.

proxy.php

Its not Aldi beer is it? my Aldi next door has distributed their letters about their intention to sell booze and I will be interested to see what it is.

Related to henninger, I actually like OeTTINGER, cheap swill that comes in half litre cans for cheap.

Legion

Staff member
Nah, it's at Coles.

I just finished a slab of Belgian beer from Aldi. It must be good, 'cause I can't remember what it was called. They were in half litre cans as well.

Swill=something suggestive of slop or garbage : refuse
a: a semiliquid food for animals (as swine) composed of edible refuse mixed with water or skimmed or sour milk b: garbage

That being defined...Narragansett, a foul and nasty beverage from Rhode Island. Quite possibly the worst "beer" I have ever tasted.

Now "Cheap Beer"? Different story..Pabst Blue Ribbon. As it was, as it is now, as it ever shall be. Never great, never bad. Just basic beer.

I have gotten very snobby ever since I have started drinking beer but to pay homage to my college town...Point Special! I like virtually all of their other beers better than their flagship beer.

Top Bottom