What's new

My new Merkur Progress

This morning's shave was outstanding.

I just ordered my second Progress to become my backup/travel razor. This razor is everything a DE should be in terms of smoothness, closeness and flaw-free DE shaving.

I just ordered my second Progress to become my backup/travel razor. This razor is everything a DE should be in terms of smoothness, closeness and flaw-free DE shaving.

That's something I'll be doing very, very soon!

"outstanding" is the word, sir.

Third blade with the Progress, a Personna Med Prep, TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and Semogue SOC boar. Outstandingly smooth, outstandingly easy, outstandingly close and outstandingly satisfying. WTG @3, XTG @2, ATG @1. Fabulous!

Last edited:
The Merkur Progress is one hell of a razor, mild to wild in a turn of the wrist! I see razors the same as transmissions, automatic vs standard. Non-adjustable DE's work but they have no way of changing their performance, it's locked into one setting. An adjustable lets you change the blade gap depending on the length of stubble or if certain areas are more sensitive, like the neck.

:thumbup1:

Had my new Merkur Progress almost two weeks and love it.

It is replacing my Merkur 34c as my daily shaver.

Wanted something just a little more aggressive than the 34c.

I had been rotating the EJ89L and the Merkur 34C. The handle of the EJ was a little too slick for me and the 34C gave too mild a shave. So I ordered a Merkur Progress and received it two weeks go. It is outstanding. At a setting of 1, I've found the Progress more aggressive than either of the two razors I'd been using. By adjusting the Progress from a setting of 1 to 1.5 or 2, I've gotten very smooth and close shaves with the Gillette silver blue, green 7 o'clock and the Astra superior platinum blades (while using either the green Proraso cream or the soap). This is why I prefer an adjustable razor--in my experience, these razors can be adjusted to give a close and comfortable shave with most blades. In the past, I've used both a Gillette Super Speed and the Slim Adjustable for extended periods, and so far I've found the Progress at least the equal of either of these two excellent razors. As for the ivory-colored dial, no problem. I like its retro look. If the Progress could be my only razor, I would not complain.

Had my new Merkur Progress almost two weeks and love it.

It is replacing my Merkur 34c as my daily shaver.

Wanted something just a little more aggressive than the 34c.

I was in the same boat as you. The 34c could give some really comfortable shaves but it took to much work (and irritation) to get a close shave even with feather and polsilver. After a visit to the AOS brick and mortar I left with a long handle progress (really had my eye on the short handle when browsing online) and it's been the bomb! I've had so many good shaves with it in the last month or so! I use sharp blades, feathers or gillette nacet lately, WTG and XTG on 2 and buff at the lowest setting which is | on mine. I've read many people that dial up as they go onto the next pass or two but have not tried it yet, and I'm wondering what the logic behind it may be, and really want to know.. This thing gives extra fine shaves, I'm considering a short handle progress or mergress just not sure I wanna spend twice the amount on the mergress I don't see the nob effecting the balance much on the short handle but I don't have alot of de experience compared to others. I want to pop in a dull blade like a derby or merkur and crank it up to a level 5 just to experiment as well. So many variables in wet shaving ya gotta love it :001_302:

Good for you; enjoy! My Progress is my favorite razor. I use mine on setting 3 for the first pass, 2 for the second pass, and 1 if I do a third pass.
+1 I didn't like my Progress for the longest time until I recently started using the same settings you describe. My last few Progress shaves have been great.

Top Bottom