What's new

My new 30mm brush

So I had ordered a 30mm Vigshaving finest two band badger knot not long ago just to see how big this knot would be. By my measurements it was actually 31.4mm and huge!
After having this knot stare at me for about a month, I finally got around to making a handle for it. The handle itselfis pretty huge as well. Dry, the completed brush weighs almost 6.5oz. With the handle being so large, I was able to set a custom made bottle cap with my initials on it into the bottom and fill it in with clear resin.
The knot itself is made pretty well. Didn't she'd a single hair when I cleaned it before using it for the first time. This knot will also whip up a ton of lather very quickly, but is also a huge lather hogs. There will be just as much lather trapped in the knot as there is in the bowl. It feels very nice on the face and isn't scratchy.
Most likely won't be a daily driver since it's too big, . It even makes

Before the knot was bloomed next to my Gillette President for size reference.
View attachment 686678
After the had been bloomed next to my Gillette Fatboy sitting on a one dollar bill for size reference
View attachment 686679
Sitting in mt my G20 scuttle for another size reference.
View attachment 686680
There bottom personalized with my initials.
View attachment 686681

Before the knot was bloomed next to my Gillette President for size reference.
$tmp_29854-20160903_225707-2068397992.jpg
After the had been bloomed next to my Gillette Fatboy sitting on a one dollar bill for size reference
$tmp_29854-20160905_140312-2145839316.jpg
Sitting in mt my G20 scuttle for another size reference.
View attachment 686684
There bottom personalized with my initials.
$tmp_29854-20160905_1409291618336224.jpg

Nice work. You did not finish your sentence in the first paragraph: "It even makes......"

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm not quite sure what happened. There was a lot more after that. It was supposed to say "it even makes my G20 scuttle look small". And I went to saying that I would more than likely use it as a barbers brush to clean hair clippings off of me after a haircut. And last it there was a mention of my conclusion that any knot larger than 24mm was to big to be practical for use by me.
Quite a bit was lost and I didn't even notice! Strange!

Last edited:
24mm is my preferred size, but that's a good looking brush even if it is huge. What I really like though is the custom bottlecap in the bottom. Clever idea and looks great!

That's a great looking brush. Love the bottle cap idea. You make some really nice stuff DCRIII. Anything bigger and you'll have to put "Louisville Slugger" on the side.:001_smile

Nice work. You did not finish your sentence in the first paragraph: "It even makes......"

Wow you could paint with that one

Whoa. That looks like a good brush for Paul Bunyan! Enjoy.

24mm is my preferred size, but that's a good looking brush even if it is huge. What I really like though is the custom bottlecap in the bottom. Clever idea and looks great!

That's a great looking brush. Love the bottle cap idea. You make some really nice stuff DCRIII. Anything bigger and you'll have to put "Louisville Slugger" on the side.:001_smile

Thanks guys! It's size is definitely a hindrance.
I recall reading a post about someone's mother using their brush to paint with awhile back. Felt bad for him.
Paul Bunyan would probably really like this brush since he'd no longer need to use Babes tail to lather with.
As hard as resin is, it would make a pore bat but it would definitely bring me to my knees if hit with it.
The bottle cap was a lather minute decision. I originally planned on using a half dollar.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
David I hope I did not offend You with the paint comment, I was just looking at the size Wow. It is very Nice to look at .
I do have a question for you when you make a wood brush ,how many coats of CA do you use ?

David I hope I did not offend You with the paint comment, I was just looking at the size Wow. It is very Nice to look at .
I do have a question for you when you make a wood brush ,how many coats of CA do you use ?

Not offended at all Graydog. I actually thought your comment was funny!
I'm not sure what CA stands for, but the few wooden handles I have made got 7 coats of clear coat to seal them before setting the knot.

Thanks for the tip
We should start a turning thread, what do you think?

That would be cool and I'm sure there are others that would love to participate in it.
[MENTION=105975]CigarSmoka[/MENTION] would have great insight as well. He's turned some really beautiful handles and bowls.

Last edited:

I'm not Dave, but I normally use 12 THIN coats of CA. The reason? I get can tear a paper towel in quarters to apply, and eight coats tends to get sanded through whether it's a pen, brush, or lather bowl, so 3 paper towels allows me to apply 12 coats and I don't have a problem with bare spots. No need to go thick, keep the CA from making ridges and the sanding stage will be a lot faster and easier. Some people, like my brother, apply 4 thick(er) coats with a plastic baggie over their fingertip, but I could never get that to work for me. I always ended up with a mess that required a lot of sanding, inevitably leading to bare spots, and thin coats to cover up the bare spots. I decided to skip that whole part in the middle and just use thin coats from the start!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have been using paper towels and I wear a glove .I tried just using the glove but I found the paper towels to be smoother and I can put thinner coats on. Did you ever spray anything?

Top Bottom