What's new

My desk at home/writing area..... what is yours like?

I saw a post like this on another pen site (FPGeeks) and thought I would post about it.

I have a wonderful old desk that belonged to my grandfather that has been refinished and has a piece of 1/4" smoked glass on the top to protect it. For several years it was a "junk gatherer". I recently got rid of the junk that was on it so I can actually use it. My grandpa died in 1959 and it was used in his plumbing business for years - both before and after his death, and yes the center drawer has ink stains in it.

I recently re-set it up, but need to start using it more regularly. I usually use a Levenger Lapdesk. Grandpa's desk is a great desk. It is small however, the top is only 44" wide by 22" deep and the knee hole is about 18" wide. It is hard to find a desk chair that will fit under it and will probably need to be a vintage chair. Modern chairs don't fit as they are to wide.

The desk pen is a Parker 45 I got a couple of years ago, the base has a hinged lid with compartments. It dates to 1968 - the lid has a little brass plate with the date on it, it was a award of some kind. The desk came to me in the late 70's if I recall correctly.

I also have grandpa's Waltham Model 1894 pocket watch. I have been able to date the movement to 1908. It runs, but isn't accurate. But that is ok. I also have that came to me from him a set of business books from LaSalle Extension University with a publication date of 1923. He signed and dated a couple of copies. One in 1923 another in 1935. He started the plumbing business during the depression. The business is now its third generation of family ownership. (my cousin owns/runs it) Grandpa and I also share a middle name. Come to think of it none of the other grandson's do. And neither did his only son.

Last edited:
Not so neat I am sorry to say, roll top desk lots of clutter and my stuff around me. Until a year ago I had one bedroom converted to a fitted office, SWMBO thought it was time to have a bedroom back so its bring out the desk and cramped knees once more.

Attachments

• P1020366.JPG
    P1020366.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 47
Just your standard mid-century gray steelcase desk. Came with the place because it is too heavy to move.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Mine remains a junk gatherer, which is a shame because it is a nice L-shaped piece of cherry wood office furniture, the whole thing cluttered with pen stuff, smoking pipe stuff and gun stuff, plus of course a desktop computer and paper work.

@Runnin_Ute that is some incredible history behind that desk, most definitely something to treasure!

@Traveling Man I love that antique desk; did you restore it? I've been on the lookout for a similar secretaries cabinet but haven't found one yet.

Although our desk is just a few pieces of wood, the 2 file cabinets were made at the steel factory SWMBO's grandfather worked at for over 35 years, so that was a very cool find for us. My small ink and pen collection lives in a small bookcase next to the desk.

proxy.php

proxy.php

@fightingillini22 No, I didn't have to do anything to it. The desk was at my great uncle's house, and I laid claim to it when he died. I have my doubts he ever did anything to it, don't know how long he had it, nor do I know where it came from originally. I did spray it with some furniture polish, so as far as I know it's pretty much as it was the day it was built.

@Runnin_Ute that is some incredible history behind that desk, most definitely something to treasure!

@Traveling Man I love that antique desk; did you restore it? I've been on the lookout for a similar secretaries cabinet but haven't found one yet.

Although our desk is just a few pieces of wood, the 2 file cabinets were made at the steel factory SWMBO's grandfather worked at for over 35 years, so that was a very cool find for us. My small ink and pen collection lives in a small bookcase next to the desk.

proxy.php

proxy.php

What keyboard is that you are using with your iMac? Thanks. :)

@fightingillini22 No, I didn't have to do anything to it. The desk was at my great uncle's house, and I laid claim to it when he died. I have my doubts he ever did anything to it, don't know how long he had it, nor do I know where it came from originally. I did spray it with some furniture polish, so as far as I know it's pretty much as it was the day it was built.

Too cool, it looks like it was built only a few years ago! That's pretty amazing.

What keyboard is that you are using with your iMac? Thanks. :)

It's the K480, I like it because you can prop up a tablet / phone in the yellow channel and use the keyboard for those devices as well.

Top Bottom