What's new

Muhle Silvertip Fiber my only brush?

Gary, I'm sure you will find that the new V2 fibers are remarkably similar to those in the H.I.S. brush. I know I did!

I believe that they are the same fibers.
This is excellent news for those who want a variety of knot and handle sizes.
I modified a H.I.S. brush and completely revamped the knot to get to a compromise between the Muhle V1 25 and 23 mm brushes and that one is right on the money

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320171-I-Shrunk-The-H-I-S-Brush-Modification

Given what I know about that experiment, this new series will more than fit the bill for those who are waiting on a great synthetic brush.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a comparison shot between v1 and v2? If the fibers on v2 are thinner and dense than v1, presumably there would be some visual difference.

Does anyone have a comparison shot between v1 and v2? If the fibers on v2 are thinner and dense than v1, presumably there would be some visual difference.

I'll retrieve my V1 brushes from storage, as I recently moved. As I recall, the differences can be felt, but are only visible under magnification. The lofts, as I recall, are shorter on the V2s. There is no way to tell from the handles or the packaging. I will be able to post pictures in a few days.

I was not too pleased traveling with 2 badger brushes as it took too long for them to dry which meant the one I used that day needed to be out for the whole day while I was driving.

I'm seriously considering a fiber brush for my next travel but I just can't make up my mind which brand.

I watch them come on BST and think well this one is not the one (otherwise it would not be culled from the seller's rotation).....

I was not too pleased traveling with 2 badger brushes as it took too long for them to dry which meant the one I used that day needed to be out for the whole day while I was driving.

I'm seriously considering a fiber brush for my next travel but I just can't make up my mind which brand.

I watch them come on BST and think well this one is not the one (otherwise it would not be culled from the seller's rotation).....

Turtle,

I've tried a few synthetic brushes and the Muhle Silvertip Fiber is light years ahead of all of them.

The V2 brush fibers are thinner, allowing more to be packed into a given knot size. More fibers equal greater density. Thinner fibers allow for shorter lofts to more closely emulate natural-hair knots. The V2's have a truly luxursious feel as well as even better performance than the V1 series. My favorites are the 21mm and 23mm sizes, which I switch back and forth on. Here is a picture of my V2 set:

View attachment 287952

That fiber composite type seems vague familiar <says with smile>.
This series will be a great addition to allow this fiber to be used in a variety of brush sizes and more traditional type handles.

Thanks for the view Jim.

Gary, I'm sure you will find that the new V2 fibers are remarkably similar to those in the H.I.S. brush. I know I did! The physical fiber composition is very close, but Mühle has done better to make the knots more natural in appearance, and add superior handles. Performance characteristics are similar, with tho relative lofts of the Mühle brushes shorter than previous generations--very much akin to their natural cousins.

I'll retrieve my V1 brushes from storage, as I recently moved. As I recall, the differences can be felt, but are only visible under magnification. The lofts, as I recall, are shorter on the V2s. There is no way to tell from the handles or the packaging. I will be able to post pictures in a few days.

That is reasonable since the new fibers used can be shortened considerably and still provide plenty of flex versus the older fibers.

Turtle,

I've tried a few synthetic brushes and the Muhle Silvertip Fiber is light years ahead of all of them.

This is why I'm a bit concerned that people are saying the v2 Muhle is the same fiber as the H.I.S. I haven't actually used the H.I.S., but from the pictures it looks more like a "normal" synthetic brush.

Turtle,

I trust your opinion Dave so I will be after one as a travel brush.

Do the smaller knot brushes perform well? It will need to be a DOPP sized brush.

Are any of them as small as the Duke 1 (overall) which is my travel brush now.

This is why I'm a bit concerned that people are saying the v2 Muhle is the same fiber as the H.I.S. I haven't actually used the H.I.S., but from the pictures it looks more like a "normal" synthetic brush.

Looks can be deceiving. The H.I.S. is a great brush.

Do the smaller knot brushes perform well? It will need to be a DOPP sized brush.

Yes, the Muhle synthetics come in a 19 mm knot with a 48 mm loft and a 44 mm tall handle.

Last edited:

Simpson
Duke 1
Loft
46 mm
knot
19 mm
Handle
39 mm
Total Height
85 mm

Turtle, I got the 21 mm knot which I use for face lathering. The size seem to me just about right. As it being a v1 or v2 I have no idea. All I know is it works for me.

To me it is a little larger than a Duke 1 but I'm just guessing.

Turtle, I got the 21 mm knot which I use for face lathering. The size seem to me just about right. As it being a v1 or v2 I have no idea. All I know is it works for me.

To me it is a little larger than a Duke 1 but I'm just guessing.

Thanks David. Ran out and did some searching and found they make a 19mm knot which I think I would like to explore first. It's going to be too large to fit in the Simpsons travel case (thanks for selling me that one) but I am sure I can find something it will fit in

I'm still enjoying the Wee Scot and Case brushes that I got from you ages ago :001_smile

They make an excellent travel brush with the STF. I prefer this over their regular STF because the loft is a tad bit shorter and not as floppy. It lathers like a champ!

Aaron, the H.I.S. Synthetic used a totally different fiber set up than the other shaving brushes including the Muhle v1. It is softer at the tip. You will find that since Muhle is now switching to this fiber the lofts can be lowered and have even greater flexibility. It is good that this fiber will be available in a variety of sizes and knots.

Go look at some of the up close images of the brush I made with the fibers by themselves (no knot base).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320171-I-Shrunk-The-H-I-S-Brush-Modification

Most people did not like the handle on the original H.I.S. due to its size.

James (AABCDS) is correct about the H.I.S.

Aaron, the H.I.S. Synthetic used a totally different fiber set up than the other shaving brushes including the Muhle v1. It is softer at the tip. You will find that since Muhle is now switching to this fiber the lofts can be lowered and have even greater flexibility. It is good that this fiber will be available in a variety of sizes and knots.

Go look at some of the up close images of the brush I made with the fibers by themselves (no knot base).

Most people did not like the handle on the original H.I.S. due to its size.

James (AABCDS) is correct about the H.I.S.

Well, like I said, I haven't actually used the H.I.S., so I don't have an actual opinion on it. However, looking the pics, especially those from above, it looks to me more like the old style synthetics in this thread for example. With these brushes, the "hairs" look perfectly straight, so you can kind of see down the entire knot. With the Muhle, the hairs look more intertwined, like the comparison shots here for example. The only synthetic brush I tried before the Muhle was the TOBS, and I didn't even bother shaving with it. The Muhle, however, is my favorite brush these days. In fact, I'm in the process of ordering some knots from Muhle to put in custom handles. I requested the v2 (since I knew I'd have to try it), but this was before the discussion of the v2 hair being the same as H.I.S. A bit softer and more flexible are exactly the improvements I'd suggest based on the v1 hair, so I'm sure I'll like it.

Well, like I said, I haven't actually used the H.I.S., so I don't have an actual opinion on it. However, looking the pics, especially those from above, it looks to me more like the old style synthetics in this thread for example. With these brushes, the "hairs" look perfectly straight, so you can kind of see down the entire knot. With the Muhle, the hairs look more intertwined, like the comparison shots here for example. The only synthetic brush I tried before the Muhle was the TOBS, and I didn't even bother shaving with it. The Muhle, however, is my favorite brush these days. In fact, I'm in the process of ordering some knots from Muhle to put in custom handles. I requested the v2 (since I knew I'd have to try it), but this was before the discussion of the v2 hair being the same as H.I.S. A bit softer and more flexible are exactly the improvements I'd suggest based on the v1 hair, so I'm sure I'll like it.

Some of that is also that in some brushes, manufacturers choose to crimp the fiber in a zag pattern so that it flairs out a little more to resemble badger bloom. The maker of H.I.S. chose not to crimp the fibers in a zag pattern. Now whether Muhle continues with using the zag pattern or not remains to be seen. The difference is really how the tips are flagged to retain water and to generate softness. When you look at the photos the Codfish is showing that is the new V2 fiber.

Last edited:
I don't mind stating that I am confused and may be making too much of nothing, but it was my impression that "silvertip" referred to particular badger hair, not a synthetic. I realize that it depends on the brush maker as to what the meaning is of "pure", "finest", "best", "super" and so on, always, I have thought, in reference to badger. Now are these terms also applied to synthetic, are they also applied to boar and horse? I'm confused, please help!

I don't mind stating that I am confused and may be making too much of nothing, but it was my impression that "silvertip" referred to particular badger hair, not a synthetic. I realize that it depends on the brush maker as to what the meaning is of "pure", "finest", "best", "super" and so on, always, I have thought, in reference to badger. Now are these terms also applied to synthetic, are they also applied to boar and horse? I'm confused, please help!

I think it's just Muhle's way of marketing their synthetic brushes, i.e., it's very close to high-end badger.

In my wet-shaving journey I've tried quite a lot of brushes. And they were badgers from Simpson to boars from Omega. Liked them all for the most part but keep changing in search of the perfect brush. Then I tried natural horse hair brushes and liked them as they had all the positive aspects of boar and badger combined. I liked them so much I sold all my brushes and now have horse with the exception of one Muhle Silvertip Fiber brush. Strangely I been reaching for the Silvertip brush daily for over a week. IMHO this may be the perfect brush. It does everything as in works well with soaps,(Tabac) not floppy, dries fast and creates plenty of foam for three to four passes. Now I'm having second thoughts about all natural bristle brushes when they compare to this synthetic fiber brush. I think Mule has a great product here and in fact may be the way of the future for shave brushes. BTW, I have a model 31 K 256 brush which works great for face lathering. To my surprise I may be selling my horse hair brushes in the near future.

Well today just did it for me.

This morning while lathering I realized this Silvertip Fiber brush just does everything better for me.

It is going to be my only brush.

Looks like I'll be selling my horse hair brushes in the near future.

Top Bottom