What's new

Muhle R41 Grande - Surprised!

Hi Tom,
First a belated welcome and 2nd thanks for this post. The R41 2013, is on my short list .Like the Feather blade , the R41 has a shroud of apprehension about it.Then one uses it and voila, the monster under the bed is gone. Enjoy your new , efficient razor!

I look forward to your review and thoughts on the new version. I enjoyed your review on the ATT Titan H1.

Here's a question. I like my 2011 R41. I don't generally have problems with it. I've never had a major cut from it (knock on wood). But, I do take it easy. How would somebody in my position like it? I know that is a subjective question but I'd be interested in hearing. Any other razor you can compare it to?

Here's a question. I like my 2011 R41. I don't generally have problems with it. I've never had a major cut from it (knock on wood). But, I do take it easy. How would somebody in my position like it? I know that is a subjective question but I'd be interested in hearing. Any other razor you can compare it to?
I, too, like the original R41 very much. I've shaved with it about 450 times and have had drawn blood only a half-dozen times. I love the shave quality and get BBS results whenever I have the time for a slow and deliberate shave. I cannot rush it and need to maintain my concentration. If I don't have the time, or if I have too much on my mind, I use my 35C.

The R41 2013 I can use quickly without being concerned with cuts or irritation. I can approach the shave in a more carefree manner, without constant concentration. It's almost mistake-proof, and the shave quality is identical to the original R41, except that very light stubble is detectable around the 16-hour mark (not really visible, but there to the touch).

There is less danger of a cut or nip and less irritation overall. The blade flex I can detect with the original when I use my favorite blade (Perma-Sharps, which are quite thin) is totally absent in the 2013 version. The new version is very well-mannered. If you have the money, I highly recommend it.

I broke down and ordered an R41 Rose Gold from shaving.ie.....along with a backup Fatip. It seems like I'm shaving better and getting better shaves with the more "aggressive" razors so trying an R41 seemed inevitable.

I broke down and ordered an R41 Rose Gold from shaving.ie.....along with a backup Fatip. It seems like I'm shaving better and getting better shaves with the more "aggressive" razors so trying an R41 seemed inevitable.
A tip: try to verify that you are getting the 2013 version of the '41.

I, too, like the original R41 very much. I've shaved with it about 450 times and have had drawn blood only a half-dozen times. I love the shave quality and get BBS results whenever I have the time for a slow and deliberate shave. I cannot rush it and need to maintain my concentration. If I don't have the time, or if I have too much on my mind, I use my 35C.

The R41 2013 I can use quickly without being concerned with cuts or irritation. I can approach the shave in a more carefree manner, without constant concentration. It's almost mistake-proof, and the shave quality is identical to the original R41, except that very light stubble is detectable around the 16-hour mark (not really visible, but there to the touch).

There is less danger of a cut or nip and less irritation overall. The blade flex I can detect with the original when I use my favorite blade (Perma-Sharps, which are quite thin) is totally absent in the 2013 version. The new version is very well-mannered. If you have the money, I highly recommend it.

Perfect...thanks!!!

Hi Tom,
First a belated welcome and 2nd thanks for this post. The R41 2013, is on my short list .Like the Feather blade , the R41 has a shroud of apprehension about it.Then one uses it and voila, the monster under the bed is gone. Enjoy your new , efficient razor!

Thanks coolbus18, I really thought it was going to be to much razor for me to handle but it ended up doing a fine job.

It just showed up yesterday, but I got home late and didn't even have time to unbox it. I'll have to review the thread about the measurements and take my calipers to it. I took a quick look on the box but didn't notice a date code.

I ordered the new R41 from Connaught last week and wish I had done this. Still haven't received the order, have my fingers crossed it's the new model. I've been using the 2011 version for over a year and it's pretty much the only razor I use. Aside from the occasional rough shave due to my negligence it's a fantastic razor. I had though about picking up a backup 2011 version for a while and when I saw there was a new version I figured it was the perfect chance to order a backup and try something new. I'll post back once I have received my shipment.

It just showed up yesterday, but I got home late and didn't even have time to unbox it. I'll have to review the thread about the measurements and take my calipers to it. I took a quick look on the box but didn't notice a date code.

Comparing my measurements to ones from the threads here, I have the newer version....and it looks perfect! Both relieved and yet slightly disappointed. I entered into DE shaving about 6 months ago with some fear of nicking myself to death, but I have been trying more aggressive razors and liking them better. The Fatip has become a favorite lately. I'll probably have to find the previous R41 at some point just to satisfy my curiosity.

I went back and shaved with my 2011 version this morning. I could tell it was more aggressive when I splashed on some aftershave. The burn was really there. Not so much with my 2013 version. The rose gold version is very classy.

For someone coming from using a Merkur Futur at 6.5, I found the R41 2013 to be much milder and less irritating but delivering an equally close shave. No nicks either.
Agression was equivalent to a Merkur Futur at 3-3.5 by my guesstimate.

I am still curious about the newer model. I enjoy using my older version but there is always that curiosity simmering away :001_smile

I have it in Grande and I agree with Codfish,,,,,, it is tamer but in a good way. Muhle improved it without taking away the ultra close shave that the 2011 spoiled us with.

Does anyone know if someone is willing to part with such a great razor? I almost had one on eBay, and was literally outbid at the last fatal second.

Thank you.

Top Bottom