What's new

Most popular safety razor ever?

There's probably no way to know for sure but what would be your best guess as to the most popular safety razor in terms of numbers sold?

My opinion is it might be the Gillette ball end tech which was I believe made for an incredible 40 years or close to it.

Other opinions?

You may be right in that it sold for all of those years, but the Fatboy or slim adjustable gets my vote. Maybe the Super Speed. I'm sure the Gillette production numbers are available so somebody in the know will be along.

The Tech in its various versions has been around a long time, and continues to be sold in "third-world" countries as the Rubie and, hmm, CRS kicks in and I can't remember other names. Anyway, they would not continue marketing them if they didn't sell. Maybe not our favorite, but certainly the most popular DE in Gillette's way of thinking.

Merkur 34c. Definitely in the last 10 years anyway. Merkur sells a lot of razors and the 34c is without a doubt their biggest seller.

Last edited:
I would say the Gillette Tech, which was made circa 1938 to 1979 in America, and only God knows how many have been made (legally or illegally) in other areas of the world. Its huge popularity was based on simplicity and low price. I see the Gillette Tech as being the Volkswagen Beetle of razors, and that observation is meant as a compliment.

A very interesting question, brother glm38, thanks for submitting it!

Last edited:
It's probably one of the current offerings from Gillette, just because of population growth of shaving males. 1960 earth population was 3 billion, today it's over 7 billion.

Hi,

I just searched the Safety Razor category on eBay. There are 389 'Gillette Tech' and 57 'Merkur' listed. This is covering all models of Merkur and discounting all those mislabelled Techs (you know, Regus and Patoff and such).

Stan

Is it...

*puts on shades*

The Feather Popular?

:lol:

Or....

... the Gillette Popular..:tongue1:

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My guess would be a razor made sometime in the 30s to the 50s
when most Men shaved. Now you look at the TV and see a bunch of stubble