What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

I agree with you. However, it is interesting that some products keep getting mentioned more than others; e.g., Feathers, MWF, Boar or Badger brushes, Proraso green soap [not cream], and other.

I think that these are mentioned more than others as being overrated simply because they are mentioned so often. When I got into this a couple months ago and was trying to decide what to order, I saw Proraso, Tabac and MWF mentioned more than most other soaps. I dont think there is a "what blade should I use" thread out there that doesn't say get a sample pack and save the Feathers for last. These products get mentioned so often that they have a mythical air to them and they have no chance to live up to their hype. They are like a movie that has tons and tons of trailers for months and you absolutely can't wait to go see it and stand in line opening night and then leave with a sense of disappointment. The movie was probably decent but it couldn't live up to the hype; to the image that you had of it in your mind. Same thing here, all these are good products that for someone couldn't live up to the hype.

That said, Proraso green soap, its not bad but it's not as good as I was expecting.

Pre shave oils ! And that's including the pre/post from Proraso and don't get me wrong, I looove my Proraso cream and splash.

ALL of the Personna blades I've tried...felt like they were coated with mace. Merkur razors are also on the list. You would think at their price point the finishing would be a little better than it is. Edwin Jaggers are usually less and their QC blows Merkur away. They are not razors but chrome works of art that just about anyone can afford. I'm big on finding good buys and find the Derby creams to be, lather wise, as good as anything I've tried. The scents may leave a bit to be desired, but that is usually gone after you rinse anyway so it's not a big deal for me. Arko shave sticks, once again lather wise, kicks in the teeth of most other soaps. I like the smell but some don't. Both of those products are CHEAP and work great....so I have a hard time buying into any of the pricey stuff. Proraso cream is worth the money I must say but that's the only one I'll vouch for. As always YMMV and opinions are like...well you know:)

Any soap containing tallow. There's nothing amazing or magical about it, and overall it's neither better nor worse than veggie-based soaps overall.

Tabac scent. I read repeatedly that the scent was wonderful/awful. You would either love it or hate it.I tried it and I found it smells like soap, bath soap and not particularly strong bath soap at that.

(Should be said I love me some stinky bath soaps)

For a 25 dollar puck it should lather just by looking at it.

It may well be over-rated but it's hard to find a puck priced over $13.00 and I've never seen it anywhere near $25.00. Connaught sells it for $11.70 including delivery.

Last edited:
I maybe in the minority but I think aqua velva is over rated, I dont like the scent, it really had minimal cooling sensation, and no alcohol sting. In my opinion just a bad product

Over rated? That would be the FAT BOY Gillette!! A big overdesigned razor with a bulky head which makes it difficult to shave under the corners of your nose and gives an inferior shave to a Super Speed or NEW.

4711 AS... After reading everyone rave about it I ordered some and was.... well... UNDER whelmed (to put it politely)

I'm going to throw in another vote for Tabac, which is not to say that I don't like it. I just don't think it's the best soap ever.

Lol, all (but the one without tallow) of the Razorock Artisan series IS Cella, but with different scents....

@Blix sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the RazoRock Croaps (Fresco, XXX, etc.) with the totally different formulation. My bad, should have made that clearer.

Cobra Classic Razor
Hart Steel straight razors

Made in the USA goes a long way, though. While I don't like them, I'm glad they have a group of loyal fans.

Top Bottom