What's new

Moss Scuttle Notes

I have the small scuttle. I ordered it by mistake. I am waiting for the larger scuttle to arrive. I have used a 22mm brush with it and it works great. Warm lather and a wonderful feeling. I can't wait for the larger scuttle.

Austin said:
I have the small scuttle. I ordered it by mistake. I am waiting for the larger scuttle to arrive. I have used a 22mm brush with it and it works great. Warm lather and a wonderful feeling. I can't wait for the larger scuttle.

Will having two make you the "scuttlemeister"?

Randy

It's only scuttlebutt if you back into it. Austin, you'll love the larger one also and this way you have a choice.
proxy.php

Cliff

Austin,

As posted previously, I already have the small-brown. I think I'll be ordering the Large-Blue any day now... The small is good for my 22mm knots but would love the larger one for anything bigger.

Let us know, as someone who will own both side-by-side, if the larger opening really improves the lather with larger brushes.

Thank you much.

NYLaw said:
Austin,

As posted previously, I already have the small-brown. I think I'll be ordering the Large-Blue any day now... The small is good for my 22mm knots but would love the larger one for anything bigger.

Let us know, as someone who will own both side-by-side, if the larger opening really improves the lather with larger brushes.

Thank you much.

Will do. I have been using a 19mm & 20 mm brush with the small scuttle and it works well. I look forward to trying the larger scuttle with 26mm & 25mm brush. I will keep you posted.

S

Sam

I have big brushes and would prefer a smaller scuttle so as to keep more contact between bristle and mug. Anyone got one they want to swap for some Verizon gift cards, let me know.

Sam

Sam said:
I have big brushes and would prefer a smaller scuttle so as to keep more contact between bristle and mug. Anyone got one they want to swap for some Verizon gift cards, let me know.

Sam

Sam,

I think you still want the larger scuttle. Large or small brush, the work room in the scuttle is very limited. I like the scuttle, but it makes developing lather a bit more difficult.

Randy

I got my large Scuttle today and it fits perfectly with my 25mm SR-208 brush. It also retained heat very, very well for me. I just wish the entire structure was all one piece, rather than two glazed ones, but it's solid.

S

Sam

Randy: I have read that the scuttle is small for developing lather. Maybe I do want the big one, but I thought that Chris posted over at SMF that he used a big brush in the small one

I have the big one, and I have no problems with it...I use the SMF 1 in mine, primarily; I just start the lather in the bowl, and finish on my face...then cram the brush into the bowl per directions. Works pretty good for me.
Now I'm actually considering one of the smaller ones; maybe after a payday or two.
John P.

Sam said:
Randy: I have read that the scuttle is small for developing lather. Maybe I do want the big one, but I thought that Chris posted over at SMF that he used a big brush in the small one

Sam,

Can't remember all of Chris' posts, but the ONLY complaint I have is the size of the bowl. I usually whip up my lather in my mixing bowl and then dump it into the scuttle. Still works just as well.

Randy

I received my large, cobalt-blue scuttle four weeks ago, and have shaved with it practically every day since.

Like other B&Bers' experiences, my postage costs ran to $22.25 Canadian, so I paid about $56.00 US. I have to note, however, that Sara did a great job of protecting a ceramic item that made it from Nova Scotia to DC in one piece.

Also, as Corey Greenberg observes on ShaveBlog, the Scuttle has given me "warm, not hot" lather. I modify Corey's instructions a bit by refilling the Scuttle about halfway through my shave, to make sure that the lather stays as warm as possible.

Nitpicking aside, though, I've found the Scuttle beautiful to look at and easy to use--not a slip on the counter or a bobble when drying yet. Most importantly, the Scuttle has proven quite effective at producing lots of creamy lather; I think the large Scuttle's bigger "pocket" makes for more thorough mixing of water and air into the cream.

I have an eight-day trip to the Bay Area coming-up, and I wonder whether bringing the Moss Scuttle will prove too much risk or trouble: The fact that I'm thinking about carrying a piece of pottery across country sounds like a fair endorsement, though.

Hey Yall..

If anyone has a small Moss Scuttle they are not thrilled with, I have a straight blade plus strop I would love to swap.

See my post under "straight and strop" in Shaving Mall section.

PM or email.....either is cool with me.

Lovin you guys !!

Cliff, that is not the normal brown or blue is it? Is that a custom glaze job, or her "waterfall" pattern that is available on other pieces? I ask because I was thinking of getting a scuttle, so I don't have to keep using the "poor man's scuttle," but would like something different than either the brown or blue.

Top Bottom