What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Hi Ken, and thank for the info.

I sent Lee an e-mail to see what he has, and I guess I am officially out of the sabbatical.

Since I am in the "Let's Try Big Knot Brushes" mode and I have a 30mm in the mail from Loric, I am thinking that a 28mm similar to yours would help fill in the collection.

What do you think ?

I passed on my congratulations on the addition to his family.

Another convert to the cult! Here's to those of us that like getting lather up our nose :a17:

George, which 30mm did you get from Seth? His STA?

If so, I think you'll find the comparison to my STA Rudy Vey to be about what you'll experience. They are both great. I found the RV softer but less bristle action. The MF had more action but feels WAY smaller on your face.

By the way, the 30mm MF I saw pics of looked even more bulb shaped than my 28mm. IMO, neither will feel as large as the STA.

Hi Ken, and thank for the info.

I sent Lee an e-mail to see what he has, and I guess I am officially out of the sabbatical.

Since I am in the "Let's Try Big Knot Brushes" mode and I have a 30mm in the mail from Loric, I am thinking that a 28mm similar to yours would help fill in the collection.

What do you think ?

I passed on my congratulations on the addition to his family.

Also, for an update, the MF took on the Stubby 3 today. Way more different than I'd expected. Both are very soft but the MF has lots more backbone. Much scrubbier and actually felt smaller on the face than the shorter, narrower Stubby. Very interesting.

Ken

I got a response from Lee and the largest he has right now is a 25 x 53 so I think I will pass. I have a 25mm presently in a TGN Finest.

I expect that the MF would be considerably denser than the TGN but I am really looking forward to something around 28mm.

Sigh, the story of my life.

I got a response from Lee and the largest he has right now is a 25 x 53 so I think I will pass. I have a 25mm presently in a TGN Finest.

I expect that the MF would be considerably denser than the TGN but I am really looking forward to something around 28mm.

Sigh, the story of my life.

We welcome you back to the Sabbatical, where we have conquered brush AD! :001_rolle (Also check out the Shavemac sale...12% is a nice chunk saved on a 28mm knot.)

This so funny. :lol:

I got a 2nd e-mail from Lee and he has (had) the exact brush as Ken has and he was keeping it as a spare.

Well, his SWMBO "suggested" that he sell it to me, and TADA, it's on its way.

I guess SWMBOism transcends oceans and cultures. :lol:

I can hardly wait.

Damnit, I had resisted these brushes thus far, but real horn was the tipping point. I'm $125 poorer and I have a handpicked Blond Badger en route.

Imho, these are so nice it makes me wonder why I keep my other 15-20 brushes. It will be interesting to see if others are equally enthusiastic.:thumbup1:

I have to say this brush is growing on me daily...It is breaking down very nicely and the tips are becoming silky soft.

I'm now on the fence on whether I prefer this one to the Rooney 1XL. I have the White Handle 24mm/54mm.

After using for the first 2-3 times, I have to say the brush felt a bit prickly and too stiff and was thinking about selling. With use, now the knot feels full, soft and dense. This is what I was hoping Simpson two band would be.

Warning: do not judge this brush until you use it at least 10 times.

Last edited:
Guys, I passed on our good wishes to Lee and his wife and he asked me to express his thanks.

So here it is. :001_smile
Consider yourselves expressed. :001_smile

Good to hear, AJ!

I'm already loving mine. It's gonna get even better?:thumbup: Closer to my sweet spot?:thumbup::thumbdown:thumbup::thumbup:

Ken

I look forward to your report as you continue to use it. That horn handle looks like a dream. :thumbup1:

It also helps to bowl lather during the initial break-in period, if one have ultra sensitive skin like me.

If these were sold in a 24mm knot and 48mm loft I would be all over it. They do look great though...

I would be OK with a 48mm loft as long as these are done in the future similar to the Rooney XL line (very 'fanish' shape)...otherwise the brush may feel like needles on the face due to the bulb+backbone combination.

As it is, the brush has very stiff backbone.

I would be OK with a 48mm loft as long as these are done in the future similar to the Rooney XL line (very 'fanish' shape)...otherwise the brush may feel like needles on the face due to the bulb+backbone combination.

As it is, the brush has very stiff backbone.

I believe Lee mentioned that he was using vintage Rooney knot shaping forms, and I would suspect he is proud of that fact, so I doubt you'll see a knot shape change in the near future. Though maybe that was for his 3 band brushes and not the M&F's.

Really, the whole anti-bulb thing is a bit overblown. A few guys got pissed at Simpson for making so many bulbs, a few more added off hand that they preferred fans, and suddenly fans are the new black. Don't get me wrong, I love the fan shape of my stubby or my UK silvertip knots.... but I also love the bulb of my chubby, my TGN SuperSilvertip, and even my super-bulb'ed 2 band duke.

I don't think 48mm is too low for a 2 band bulb... it all depends on personal preference, and I think a lot of people would prefer 48mm to 54mm for a bulb shaped 2 band. I can't speak for everyone though.

I believe Lee mentioned that he was using vintage Rooney knot shaping forms, and I would suspect he is proud of that fact, so I doubt you'll see a knot shape change in the near future. Though maybe that was for his 3 band brushes and not the M&F's.

Really, the whole anti-bulb thing is a bit overblown. A few guys got pissed at Simpson for making so many bulbs, a few more added off hand that they preferred fans, and suddenly fans are the new black. Don't get me wrong, I love the fan shape of my stubby or my UK silvertip knots.... but I also love the bulb of my chubby, my TGN SuperSilvertip, and even my super-bulb'ed 2 band duke.

I don't think 48mm is too low for a 2 band bulb... it all depends on personal preference, and I think a lot of people would prefer 48mm to 54mm for a bulb shaped 2 band. I can't speak for everyone though.

Lee told me he is using the original M&F cannons for the M&F knots.

I too think that with the soft tips of this hair, a sub 50mm loft bulb would be just fine. The Simpson two bands dont have the soft tips these do, so they feel much more pointy. My 50mm bulb is nice and soft on the face, so I double taking even 5mm off of it would be a huge problem. If you cut the loft down any more than the mid 40's though I would opt for a fan in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom