What's new

Mongoose vs Colonial General

Any one do a comparison between a alumna goose and a General razor?
I have the mongoose but was wondering the difference. Thanks

I owned both and now only own a General. YYMV, but for my face I find the General to be mild yet very efficient. I have a medium beard and fairly sensitive skin, and in three passes I get the closest and most comfortable shave out of any modern SE razor, whether that is the Alumigoose, Cobra Classic, King Cobra, Asylum Rx, etc. Again, that is just me and I would not give my experience too much credence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General... I would almost call it mild, but it just removed 4 days growth, in 2 passes, like it was nothing.. it falls mild-medium but the shave result is like that of a very aggressive razor, in terms of hair removal...never once had razor burn with it.. I say it's one of the best valued shavers out there and you don't have to take a second mortgage out and wait until the cows come home either...win-win-win..

I personally prefer the Mongoose...the General is improved with a heavier handle but the Goose works better and is smoother for me.

I have never used a Mongoose, but I will say that I have been using my General for the last 4 days and I'm on shaves #6-9 on a Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG blade and they have been 4 of the smoothest / closest shaves I have had to date. Each morning I debate whether I really need to shave, but give in because its good cheap therapy!! I can't hardly wait for the Brass version to be released in a couple months and Stainless later this summer!!

I have several of the new razors including the General (actually 4 of them). I used to have an Alumigoose (v2) as well as a SS Mongoose, both of which I've sold - they just seemed redundant.

The General is fast becoming my go-to razor when I just want a great shave with no drama. For me it has close to the perfect balance between aggressiveness and smoothness.

I can get a marginally closer shave from my Asylum Rx or Cobra Classic, but these are seriously aggressive razors that will bite if I get careless or lose my focus.

I also have Hawks which are great razors for the price but a little mild for my taste.

I use Feather Pros in everything.

--Bob

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have several of the new razors including the General (actually 4 of them). I used to have an Alumigoose (v2) as well as a SS Mongoose, both of which I've sold - they just seemed redundant.

The General is fast becoming my go-to razor when I just want a great shave with no drama. For me it has close to the perfect balance between aggressiveness and smoothness.

I can get a marginally closer shave from my Asylum Rx or Cobra Classic, but these are seriously aggressive razors that will bite if I get careless or lose my focus.

I also have Hawks which are great razors for the price but a little mild for my taste.

I use Feather Pros in everything.

--Bob

This is so useful. I currently am trying to decide my next razor, and this helps a lot. i don't want to have to focus with the energy of 1000 suns when shaving to avoid cutting myself.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I owned both and now only own a General. YYMV, but for my face I find the General to be mild yet very efficient. I have a medium beard and fairly sensitive skin, and in three passes I get the closest and most comfortable shave out of any modern SE razor, whether that is the Alumigoose, Cobra Classic, King Cobra, Asylum Rx, etc. Again, that is just me and I would not give my experience too much credence.

Do yuo mind my asking the full list of SEs you have used?

Do yuo mind my asking the full list of SEs you have used?

Cobra Classic
King Cobra
SS Mongoose v1
SS Mongoose v2
Alumigoose v1
Alumigoose v2
ATT SE1
ATT SE2
Rx
General

I think that is it. The General is the end of the line for me. I have not tried any of the following.

Rocnel
Claymore
Hawk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Cobra Classic
King Cobra
SS Mongoose v1
SS Mongoose v2
Alumigoose v1
Alumigoose v2
ATT SE1
ATT SE2
Rx
General

I think that is it. The General is the end of the line for me. I have not tried any of the following.

Rocnel
Claymore
Hawk

Wow you are a great resource for me! Would you mind telling me which of these Steve most efficiently - think two passes and some touch up - while at the same time not irritating the skin?

What about the general is so great to you?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have and used the following.
General,
Hawk,
RX,
El-Jefe
Rocnel SE50,
Rocnel SEP & scalloped,
Oneblade,
The general although light is a fantastic razor, but don't overlook the Rocnels. I love all of them.

I have tried both and love the General. Although as someone mentioned above, General needs to be paired with a heavier handle,i used it with ATT Colossus handle.

Stainless Mongoose II, Hawk and El Jefe, in that order, with either a Feather AC Pro or Kai Mild in the chamber. I can't speak to the General. El Jefe is the most aggressive and efficient of the three, but it's inherently finicky if you're not very careful.

Top Bottom