What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat, my experience

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Mitchell’s Wool Fat is certainly one of most popular and well known soaps on the market today. But it’s also one of those soaps that people seem to love or to hate. I love it. This shaving soap is, in my opinion, a fantastic soap. I just finished my first puck and already got a new one yesterday. Now I would like to share my experience with my B&B’s mates regarding this great English gem. And I want to discuss what appears to be one of the biggest issues regarding MWF: how to get a good lather. This subject has already been debated for a long time and surely makes sense, since this isn’t the easiest soap to make lather with. From my modest knowledge, and keeping in mind the advices of more expert fans of this traditional English soap, I have come to the conclusion that, in order to get a wonderful lather, I have to follow a few important points:

1. MWF works much better for me if the surface of the puck is previously softened with some drops of warm water;

2. Using warm (not hot) water during the entire lathering process gives me the best results;

3. To my knowledge Mitchell’s Wool Fat seems to love stiff brushes. The best lather I get is, in fact, using my boar brushes or my badger brushes that have great backbone. I like to use any of my Semogue boars and some of my favourite Simpson badgers. I particularly enjoy making lather with my Chubby 1 Super and with my Duke 3 Best;

4. My shaving brush has to be very heavily loaded. I load it for about one minute, which means making over 100 swirls on the surface of the puck. Then I slowly add a few drops of water to the mix and the lather progressively becomes thick, cushioning and slick;

5. This soap, like my beloved Cella, gives me a much, much better lather when face lathering. I do not know why, but bowl lathering with MWF for me fails miserably.

Following the five points above allows me anytime to obtain an incredibly good lather and a very close, comfortable shave. Mitchell’s Wool Fat is one of my all-time favourite shaving soaps.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
As always, great post Marco! :thumbup1:

Great post! (As usual)

One thing I have noticed is if I get the bubbly lather that everybody complains about all I have to do is keep working it on my face and it will turn into the great lather that I like so much. Maybe some people just aren't working the lather enough.

I face lather 100% of the time so I can't comment about bowl lathering, although I do hear often that bowl lathering MWF doesn't work as well as face lathering.

Marco says:
5. This soap, like my beloved Cella, gives me a much, much better lather when face lathering. I do not know why, but bowl lathering with MWF for me fails miserably.

Well, I'm relieved to hear that even an expert has issues bowl lathering MWF. I always do too!

I've usually found that I get my best lather after my first pass, by going back to the soap and re-lathering. It's usually slick and smooth for the other passes. I think I'll try Marco's tips and add some water after fully loading my brush. I hope that gives me great lather for all passes.

Lately I've been face lathering my MWF as well and getting much better results than bowl lathering. I'm not sure why either...

I just got a killer MWF face lather this morning!

MWF was on my list of next Soaps to purchase...after reading Marco's post it may move to the top of the list!

Mitchell’s Wool Fat is certainly one of most popular and well known soaps on the market today. But it’s also one of those soaps that people seem to love or to hate. I love it.

I'm one of the few "middle-of-the-road" types. I think it's OK, but nothing to write home about, especially in view of its cost. In terms of getting a good lather, MWF is much like Williams, in my opinion.

Marco, great post as usual. I love my shaves with MWF like C&S No.88 :001_tt1:. It is a great product and has a great price with bowl or not. Therefore I notice something too. MWF needs time. When I was using bowl for the lather, I took my shower after the preparation and I was shaving after my 5 minute shower. For that time the lather is become very slick with no airy lather problems and gives a perfect shave. IMHO, face lathering provides same aim but from a different way.

Please, look at 0:39. You see our little friend.:biggrin1:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsK5MoJZ75M[/YOUTUBE]

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My friends, thank you kindly for the nice words of appreciation. And, Berkin, thank you for sharing with us that wonderful video! :thumbup1:

If that is supposed to be lather, then excuse me while I laugh. I call that 'leftovers'. If you shave with that, then why bother with shaving soap or cream in the first place; a bit of oil will do just fine too, and is mucho cheaper in the long run.

Either way, I wish MWF would reformulate to something which proved to be more stable on my face. (Yes, I load enough; yes, I load enough, honestly; yes, the lather feels smooth and dense; no, it's not a water thing; no, facial lathering doesn't change the outcome.)

Great post Marco, MWF is probably my favorite soap. I might now always get a super thick lather from it, but I get a lather that gives me a super smooth, irritation free shave every time.

Only thing I would add is to start with a fairly dry brush and bowl (if using a bowl) and very gradually add water. If I start with too much water, it gets too many bubbles and requires moving from bowl to face lathering to get it in to a foamy consistency.

IMO the issue with MWF is the water ratio. This soap is really thirsty, and you need to add more water to the lather. The day you stop fearing using too much water, is the day you will get that wonderful lather :biggrin1:

I want to try this but have had very little luck face lathering soap, I think it's made more difficult by how floppy my brush is

I will not read
I will not read
I will not... darn, he made me buy it again:)

Marco, is there any soap you hate?

My experience with MWF:

At first I loaded my brush on the puck and face lathered (I always face lather) and got just ok results. Was becoming a little disappointed with my purchase to be honest.

Then I grated some into a stick container and use it as a stick and voila! I get great gobs of super slick lather with it now.

Oh, and all this is done with an incredibly floppy Vulfix badger.

I think the amount of product matters a lot with MWF and for me, using a stick helps to gauge the amount of soap I have applied better.

If that is supposed to be lather, then excuse me while I laugh. I call that 'leftovers'. If you shave with that, then why bother with shaving soap or cream in the first place; a bit of oil will do just fine too, and is mucho cheaper in the long run.

Either way, I wish MWF would reformulate to something which proved to be more stable on my face. (Yes, I load enough; yes, I load enough, honestly; yes, the lather feels smooth and dense; no, it's not a water thing; no, facial lathering doesn't change the outcome.)

Well, if you ever try that method and you get a big failure, you will laugh to me as many as you can. On the other hand there is no perfect soap, cream, brush, razor, blade etc. If they reformulated to get nothing, I would prefer current formulation of MWF. And yet I know olive oil is good for my health but not my shave.

In the video that Berkin posted the lather the Valet makes and applys for the shave looks like mine when I face lather. Its slick and works. Upon my next pass during face lathering there's less lather in the brush, and after that less lather like a water only final pass that's slightly slick but unobtrusive. I really enjoy MWF also. I don't use hot water at all. The type of brush that I use is not so much a issue with the modification of the face lather that I use. The mug that I soak my brush in, I leave filled with water, and I wring my brush into it -stiffining the silvertip hairs. I load my brush and face lather from there, if I need more water I dab it in the mug slighlty and continue to face lather. Great way to save the environment. Great post.

Top Bottom