What's new

Mike's Natural Soaps - an early review

Oh man. The pictures on Mike's website makes my SSAD kick into overdrive. I'm putting these on the list to try for sure.

I'm going to feel like I am cheating on Matt @ QCS! :001_tt2:

I have a bar of the lavender eucalyptus as well as samples of the others he sells. To my untrained nose they all have a sweet smell at the base of the soap throughout every bar that is really pleasant. I'm a big fan of lavender and the lavender eucalyptus is very nice with a good even balance from what I smell. I don't like rose scents but the cedarwood and rose does not have that strong rose scent and is the first that I actually enjoy. I only have two shaves with this soap so far but it is definitely up there in quality with qcs from what I can tell so far. I'll wait a week or two of using only these soaps before forming a final opinion but so far they seem great.

Nice sounding review. Have you used MWF? Can you compare/contrast?

Yep, MWF is the only soap that resides on my counter (most are in a cabinet, and only get pulled out now and then).

I don't have a real issue lathering MWF (some people do), but Mike's soap is certainly easier to lather. This could be because of the milling of MWF - that's certainly a 'value for money' soap, and it keeps going and going. Mike's seems to be easier to load - leading to easier lather build-up.

I'm not going to compare the fragrances, as they're obviously different.

The lather itself is pretty comparable to MWF. Thick, creamy, and very cushioning. These soaps both leave my skin supple and feeling great the whole day. I can't say anything about the long-term effects of using Mike's soap, as I haven't used it long enough, but MWF is a really good skin-conditioner for me. If Mike's is anything like that it would be a good alternative to MWF for people who:

A) Can't lather MWF properly (because of water and other issues).
B) Want a cheaper alternative
C) Want different fragrances

......and they wouldn't be losing anything in performance (again, these are early impressions.....they may change with further use).

That said, Mike's is not the only artisan soap that provides this performance. The aforementioned PC soaps certainly do, and a soap made by, and given to me by Ian (a member here) also is as good. Both are tallow-based soaps, so that's apparently the main contributor. I haven't used QCS soaps, but I fully expect those soaps to work as well (they have a fragrance I like, so I'll be buying one soon).

I have a full tub of RazoRock Caprician Limes and a nice sample of MWF. I agree that the tallow really adds something. I think the lanolin goes an extra mile on the skin conditioning, though.

And yes, a cheaper MWF alternative, that also happens to be made by a B&B member? Sign me up.

Hmmmm... may have to give it a try when he has some new batches in. Seems like a good value. I really, really don't need any more shaving products but I have a week constitution...

I've written Mike an email inquiring to the weight of each bar of shave soap. 3oz? 4oz? At $8/bar, that is a great price point.

I've written Mike an email inquiring to the weight of each bar of shave soap. 3oz? 4oz? At $8/bar, that is a great price point.
They seem to be the same size as his regular soap bars, which he states are between 4-5oz. They're very good sized bars. I'm going to grate mine tonight to fit in a glass bowl, will let you guys know it shaves after that.

If I had to guess I would say 4-5 oz per bar. They are fairly substantial. I am going to hold out on using them until I finish off a few products in the active rotation.

If I had to guess I would say 4-5 oz per bar. They are fairly substantial. I am going to hold out on using them until I finish off a few products in the active rotation.

At $8/bar, unless the soap diminishes rapidly, that is an excellent price for a 4-5oz bar of quality shave soap.

I wasn't going to bust into the Mike's Natural until I finished off a few products but my curiosity got the better of me. I used the Barber Shop soap this morning. My normal routine garnered some nice lather. Creamy, fairly slick and stabile. Nothing wrong with this soap. The fragrance was a bit light but I would rather light than heavy in the fragrance department.

Bottom line: Mike has developed a nice soap. It creates nice lather and it is nice to your skin. Not too bad for less than $10.:thumbup1:

The announcement of an orange/cedar/black pepper scent was too much for me. Ordered! Now I just have to fidget impatiently until it comes in next week. :)

Yohann,
Great review, sir, i have been curious about Mike's soaps since he posted on the Vendor's forum. Great to know they are very good.

Top Bottom