What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

She's a beauty. :thumbup1:

I love the way knife nuts justify their obsession- why, honey, it's a pepperoni knife!

I'm sure someone out there has a knife dedicated to slicing monterey jack cheese, and another for slicing monterey jack with jalapenos. :lol:

Yes, yes we do :thumbup:

5.5Q Staub French Oven....Breaking her in with some Rioja braised Oxtails on Saturday.

proxy.php

Received a 12pc Henckels Eversharp set from my mother as a surprise Valentine's gift. The knives look nice, but there's an empty slot (chef's knife sized) in the block; I can't figure out what goes there. Another chef's knife?

I never had a Staub, but I've heard they're even better than Le Creuset, which are already amazing.

Beautiful. :thumbup1:

Thanks, ouch. I've had a small 2 quart Staub for a few years as well as a 2 3/4Q Le Creuset braiser. You can see them in the background of the photo. The LC is one of the best pieces of cookware out there. It's just that the Staub finds a way (in Spinal Tap speak) of taking it to 11. I think it's the enamaled, yet somewhat porous surface. Also, they tend to definitely be heavier than LC, which would lead to better, more even heat retention.

BTW, I attended a couple of Tony Clifton's legendary Chicago performances at the Chopin Theater in 2008. They were absolutely epic.

Picked up a new paring/fruit knife tonight. Not exactly amazing quality, but quite nice for the price, and made by Dorco (same as my razor blades :001_smile). It's a good knife for the time being.

Last edited:
Top Bottom