What's new

Merkur vs Gillette

I have Merkur 11C,37C,39C,33C, and a red tip Gillette. While the slants shave is hard to beat, the old red tip with the heavy knurled handle is my favorite. It really feels good in my hand and gives a great shave.

Merkur, EJ, now trying GEM 1912 ......i just cannot make myself purchase ANYTHING with the Gillette name on it, sorry. No offense to all the "Glovers" out there.

Disregarding the blades which do you think makes a better shaver? I have one Merkur at the moment and will shortly acquire a second. Perhaps I should have at least one Gillette in my den.

I love Gillette razors and have a Rhodium shave grade President at the top of my rotation. Running a very close second and for a different kind of shave is my Pomco Slant Bar. It is a vintage re-branded Merkur. I like it so much, that I just ordered a Merkur # 37 G HD..Gold plated slant. I think the NIB 46.00 shipped price had a lot to do with the purchase though. I don't expect it to shave any better than the Pomco, just that I wanted a Gold plated slant...dang RAD !

For the build quality Gillette, for the shave Merkur.

But I have to say that neither company made a razor in my top 5. Mühle, EJ, Lord and Gladweg yes, but Gillette and Merkur are only at the side-show for me. YMMV!

Top Bottom