What's new

Merkur Progress Changed?

Another member posted about how their Progress had some minor cosmetic issues and then posted this pic showing the side of the razor. It's completely different from any Progress I've ever seen. Does anyone else here who recently purchased a Progress have the same mark and triangle?

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 565
[video]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5GXi4rWl85k/VpYMaubY2qI/AAAAAAAAEeU/2B-iYUyvSXs/s2048-Ic42/IMG_20160112_222556.jpg[/video]

No other differences were found. Also all news are scaled to 1 as minimum instead of old have random scale. I believe that common sense says that it should be X, but who cares.

Just reviewed 3 new Progresses. All 3 marks are centered.

That was my photo that Froggy posted from this thread: http:/http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/483119-Merkur-Progress-Long-Handle-now-50-29-on-Amazon-com.

I sent an email to Merkur (Dovo) with the photo collage and I've notified Amazon. I haven't read about a re-design of the razor's top cap and head anywhere else. The indentation on my top cap looks like a dent more than an alignment mark and it's in the shape of a half moon. In addition, one side of each side of the top cap looks thicker than the other. There are also small nicks on the razor handle and a few near the arrow on the head. I'm not sure if this is normal for the Progress, but my Futur arrived in pristine condition last year.

Do all 3 new Progresses have the "new style" arrow? I'm not sure why they would change it because the old version (if indeed that's what it is) seems easier to view.

that photo is so outdated it has the "NI" designation for nickel plating, which hasn't been on Progress nearly ten yrs

Here's a collage of the one I received from Amazon. I just posted it to another thread. The alignment notch almost needs a magnifying glass to be clearly seen from a few feet. The bottom of the top cap is the 3rd photo. (Note the scratch on the bottom left).

proxy.php

Saying the quality has been lowered is silly. That head looks to have much less slop to it than in recent years. If they finally invested in new molds this is great news...

Mine is the new one too. And a friend of mine bought one which has the new triangle and aligning mark. To my eyes that look better finished than the ones I used to see on websites.

I'm very happy with mine that arrived Friday. It is the "new" style but the fit and finish look good. The most important part is that it shaves excellently. The absolute best shave I have had!

Attachments

• $WP_20160306_14_19_51_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20160306_14_19_51_Pro.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 263
I'm very happy with mine that arrived Friday. It is the "new" style but the fit and finish look good. The most important part is that it shaves excellently. The absolute best shave I have had!

+1!

$IMG_0046.jpg

A marvelous shaver, although I'm still learning how to use it - playing with the settings: going up, going down, not changing settings - and going through some blades which aren't my favourite, but during the 3 weeks + of our acquaintance I've yet to experience a bad shave! This beauty delivers absolutely great shaves, no matter what you throw at it! :thumbup:

I just wanted to update the recent Merkur threads for the information I received from Merkur today. I was told via email that the old molds for the Progress were worn out and they replaced them last year and redesigned the head.

I received a replacement razor today from Amazon and while it's in pristine condition, the calibration is off. When tightened, it stops at a little past setting 5. Any suggestions? I've also noticed that the razor head and top caps have different numbers than the previous Progress I was sent, and when I tried tightening the top cap from the old Progress (being returned) on the new one, it stopped at setting 2! I'm not sure what's going on with the calibration of these razors, but I'm spending an incredible amount of time doing everything BUT shaving!

proxy.php

Top Bottom