What's new

Merkur Adjustables...

Dear Mr. Wishy-washy:

Congratulations on your new brush purchase and my guess is you'll enjoy it tremendously. You can never have enough brushes!

As far as the razors go, my Merkur adjustable shaves a LOT differently that my Gillette adjustable......just to keep you second guessing yourself!:wink:

And....while I do own the Progress and while it's one of my favorites, my HD will be showing up on my doorstep Wednesday! Just had to know for sure.

We'll be looking for a review soon!

Jerry

Jerry,

You'll love the HD! My decision to not go with an adjustable (at least for now) is that the shaves were not consistent. No matter the setting, I either got a good shave, or bled alot! Never a great shave. Considering I do shave with a straight, I think I know how to take my time and do things right. One thing I never got, was a shave as good as the HD. Not even close. SO, maybe a slant if I can get one on ebay, but for now the SR-208, which I have coveted for months, will have to do. I'll be doing a review next week. Also, Ron has one of these inbound, so I'm sure he will be covering it as well. And since he is the Lathermeister...well, what can I say, except for using words everyone will be able to understand! AND, in English!

Randy

Randy,

After talking to Charles I decided on the Futur. He recommended the SR-208 as well and that may be in my stocking if Ms. Claus is kind to me this year. I don't have the experience you have and therefore, probably won't know the difference in the beginning. Hopefully, I'll grow with the Futur. Let us know how you like the 208.

Bob

Bob,

I have no doubt that you will love the Futur. I started with the HD, and I know it, IMO, about as well as you can know a razor. I'm sure that accounts for my bias. As for as the 208, give Mrs. Claus a push. Charles tends to run out of them frequently.

Randy

nteeman said:
Randy,

As one shaver who owns several Merkur razors(HD Classic, HD Slant Bar, HD Open Comb, Progress and Vision) I can testify that they all have their pros and cons. The Progress blade exposure is different on each side of the razor, the Slant Bar gives a great shave but some find it a bit too aggressive, the open comb does not seem to have much of a following at all, the Vision gives a fantastic shave--some compare it to a str8 razor--but some find it too big & bulky, difficult to reach certain parts of the face.

The one I find I go to as my everyday razor, the HD Classic.

YMMV.
The Merkur HD is not similar to the Progress in blade exposure is different on each side of the razor?
Greetings

Wet

Randy,

I also find the Merkurs shave better for me than the Gillettes I have used...just a matter of personal preference. I have found that my Gillette adjustables shave differently on each side as was mentioned in a couple of earlier posts.

I currently have 4 Merkurs. 1) Classic, 2) Long Handle Classic, 3) HD Classic and 4) Slant. I like all of them! Each has it's own little characteristics I like. Right now the Classic and HD Classic are tied for 1st place, the Slant is 2nd and the Long Handle number 4.

You mentioned something about not really "needing" another Merkur right now. What does "need" have to do with this grooming habit...hobby...obsession? I don't "need" another razor either, but I plan on buying the other Merkurs in the future [Futur]. :001_smile

A man can never have too many razors! Matter of fact, I'm now contemplating building a nice stand to display my Merkur collection on. Someday they'll being selling our Merkurs on ebay and they'll be the Classics then! Some invest in real estate...I choose to diversify and invest some in "Cutting Edge Technology". :cool:

"That's right honey...someday we're gonna' be wealthy...right now I'm investing for our future...buying Futurs!"

Want a hot stock tip? Stock up on the Futur! :thumbup1: Fifty years from now, they'll be the hottest thing on ebay!!!

Happy Shaving,

Ron

Ron,

The Futur is the one Merkur I'm interested in that has eluded me. I now have the HD (well, I have two, one will be going to my son at graduation), Long Handle Open Comb, and two Slant Bars (one I am re-conditioning). These go along with a hand full of straights. I think I'm good on razors...for now.

Randy

Randy,

I think it depends on your shave style and what feels comfortable in your hands. i own the HD and the VISION. As i have pointed out in other posts, the HD was a tad 2 small 4 me- the VISION was just right.

being wishy-washy myself:)tongue: ), i now use both of them during my daily shave; but if i only have time for one pass, then it's the VISION all the time. this probably doesn't help as u have already ordered, but who knows what the future holds!

Marty

The Vision still remains off of my list. If I'm dropping a c-note on a razor, it's gonna be a straight!

Randy

Top Bottom