What's new

Merkur Adjustables...

For Christmas, I'm planning on adding a new Merkur adjustable. Money won't be the decision maker. Being a good shaver will be. Unfortunately, I can't order them all and send back the discards. For those of you using a Merkur adjustable, tell me which one you like (not the one(s) you don't like) and why you think it is a keeper.

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Randy, as far as adjustables go, I like the Vision. Cool design, close shave and weighted just right for shaving.

Thanks Randy. I actually alternate between several razors. My favorite is the slant bar but it's not adjustable. I also have a futur and HD. I have not tried a progressive but hear good things about it.

Andrew

Randy, with the slant bar I always get a close shave. Once you get your technique down, there is no comparison. I would choose the slant bar over any of my other adjustables any day. The slant bar glides over the contours of your face with no adjustment.

Andrew

Well, I'm thinking...I had pretty much made up my mind on the Progress. It, combined with the Slant are still less than the Vision! Still, I have time to study on this. I'm really happy with my HD Classic, not sure why I want to add another razor.

Randy

I own a FUTUR, HD, Slant Bar, and Progress. I haven't had a chance to try the Slant Bar or Progress yet. They're still new in the box. I've tried the FUTUR and the HD and love them both.

Randy, sooner or later, you're just going to have to get more than one. :biggrin:

RR,

I've added creams, soaps, colognes and now different blades, including Feather, Merkur and straights! I'm not that impressed with the Gillettes or injectors I have bought. My HD classic is a great razor, and for whatever reason, I feel the need to add another Merkur. Since I have read Andrew's posts, I've just about made up my mind to add the Progress AND the Slant. Now I just need to justify the decision.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
RR,

I've added creams, soaps, colognes and now different blades, including Feather, Merkur and straights! I'm not that impressed with the Gillettes or injectors I have bought. My HD classic is a great razor, and for whatever reason, I feel the need to add another Merkur. Since I have read Andrew's posts, I've just about made up my mind to add the Progress AND the Slant. Now I just need to justify the decision.

Randy
Randy,
I have both the Progress and the \| and they are both good razors. BUT, if I were looking for a better shaving tool, I really think that I could overlook some of the faults of the FUTUR and buy it instead.:yesnod: The adjustment mechanism is really superior to the Progress and the shave is as good or better than the \|. To get the \| to perform I had to use Feathers, of which I think you are not fond. Just my 40% of a nickel...

Randy:

I have a Progress and a Vision in the adjustable arena and enjoy both of them. I like the size of the Progress more but the Vision has its strong points as well, design being one of them. I don't think you would be sorry for buying the Progress and from what I see posted, I see very few complaints about them. For the price, I think it's a great razor and wouldn't give mine up.

Oddly enough, one of my favorites now is the classic long-handle. Very elegant....but we were talking adjustables.

Jerry

rtaylor61 said:
Well, I'm thinking...I had pretty much made up my mind on the Progress. It, combined with the Slant are still less than the Vision! Still, I have time to study on this. I'm really happy with my HD Classic, not sure why I want to add another razor.

Randy

Randy,

As one shaver who owns several Merkur razors(HD Classic, HD Slant Bar, HD Open Comb, Progress and Vision) I can testify that they all have their pros and cons. The Progress blade exposure is different on each side of the razor, the Slant Bar gives a great shave but some find it a bit too aggressive, the open comb does not seem to have much of a following at all, the Vision gives a fantastic shave--some compare it to a str8 razor--but some find it too big & bulky, difficult to reach certain parts of the face.

The one I find I go to as my everyday razor, the HD Classic.

YMMV.

Randy,
I only have the Futur, so I have nothing to compare it to. It is a great razor, but after hearing all of the talk about the Vision...I'm trying to negotiate the acquistion of the Vision by my girlfriend for Christmas.

Oh Randy, I wished you hadn't made this post. Now I'm getting the urge for another razor. From reading the replies I am wanting to try a slant.

God, when will it ever end?

My name is Tony and I have RAD.

Tony Espo

Gents,

I spent the last 10 days using a Gillette Adjustable, trying to understand why I might want an adjustable, and also studying the differences between the Progress, Futur and Vision. I pondered long and hard. Pros, cons costs, and finally made a decision. My new toy will arrive on Wednesday.

I went with the SR-208 Badger brush from QED! :biggrin: I may be wrong, but I just don't see where the adjustable gave me a getter shave than my HD Classic. Granted, I didn't use a Merkur, but I know I'll be happy with the new Savile Row!

Call me wishy-washy!

Randy

Top Bottom